Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

There may well be validity in what you say about SMB1 I can't say as it's not my area of expertise.

I too have no clue about this; but is it the concern that in the present state a virus can be injected into my Sonos kit when it is streaming music from my Apple music subscription, as an example? Or, into my Mac because of sharing the broadband pipe?
Sigh.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
As stated many times, there are no fees or kickbacks, or any other kind of "income stream" from services added to Sonos. Membership in the Sonos Music Partners program is free and open to any service that wishes to take part.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Also, SMB1 is fine for anyone concerned enough about security to apply the proper updates.

How do *I* apply the proper updates to a Sonos? It is Sonos that insists on the use of a protocol that its own developer expressly deprecated 4 years ago due to ongoing security concerns! So what if Microsoft fixed *this* particular issue with SMB1 this time? There likely are far more that they have yet to discover.

The point is that SMB1 is inherently much less secure than later revisions and hence should not be used. The latest open-source SMB server implementations turn off SMB1 compatibility by default for a reason. Wannacry and similar ransomware exploiting these SMB1 authentication issues is now circulating and has the potential to make a lot of Sonos customers unhappy.

To me, potentially jeopardizing customer data is simply irresponsible. Network infrastructure should not be prone to being penetrated and multiple revisions out of date . A layered defense against malware is better than allowing for single-point failures, such as relying on Microsoft to keep patching SMB implementations that have been deprecated for years (and especially on operating systems that they officially discontinued support on).

Has Sonos even made a commitment re: updating the network stack? Every official response I have seen here so far seems 100% non-comittal. As best as I can tell, without Sonos' help, this network share access issue cannot be fixed short of disabling SMB access and using an alternative like Plex.
As stated many times, there are no fees or kickbacks, or any other kind of "income stream" from services added to Sonos. Membership in the Sonos Music Partners program is free and open to any service that wishes to take part.

Also, SMB1 is fine for anyone concerned enough about security to apply the proper updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
One potential option missing from your list is ongoing security maintenance. Sonos is still stuck at SMB1 for access to local NAS-based music data. SMB itself has moved on to version 4.7 by now and Microsoft deprecated all use of SMB1 in 2013 due to security concerns. Now, WannaCry and similar malware is exploiting the many weaknesses in SMB1 (NTLM v1 authentication, among others) to install ransomware.

Could the Sonos team please also focus on security? I get that Sonos doesn't earn an income stream from maintaining security the way it does by adding yet another subscription service... but Sonos will destroy customer goodwill if it prevents good IT security hygiene practices. Currently, use of its premium appliances with a NAS enables a known attack vector for malware!

Yes, there are lengthy workarounds (Plex, subsonic) but they create holes / vulnerabilities of their own. I would prefer to see Sonos take the SMB1 bull by the horn and upgrade its SMB stacks to at least version 3 or higher.

Sonos doesn't have an "income stream from adding yet another subscription service". Sonos makes money from selling hardware, that's it. They don't get kick-backs or paid for having particular services available.

There may well be validity in what you say about SMB1 I can't say as it's not my area of expertise.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
One potential option missing from your list is ongoing security maintenance. Sonos is still stuck at SMB1 for access to local NAS-based music data. SMB itself has moved on to version 4.7 by now and Microsoft deprecated all use of SMB1 in 2013 due to security concerns. Now, WannaCry and similar malware is exploiting the many weaknesses in SMB1 (NTLM v1 authentication, among others) to install ransomware.

Could the Sonos team please also focus on security? I get that Sonos doesn't earn an income stream from maintaining security the way it does by adding yet another subscription service... but Sonos will destroy customer goodwill if it prevents good IT security hygiene practices. Currently, use of its premium appliances with a NAS enables a known attack vector for malware!

Yes, there are lengthy workarounds (Plex, subsonic) but they create holes / vulnerabilities of their own. I would prefer to see Sonos take the SMB1 bull by the horn and upgrade its SMB stacks to at least version 3 or higher.
Badge
Master controller Mode - To override other users / children / guests from changing volumes or now playing.
I would like it if the sound bar would only temporarily leave the group it is in when my TV is on. Every time I want to play music, I have to add the sound bar back to a group with other Sonos devices.
Voice Over-ride

I'd like to be able to use my Sonos setup as a PA system using the mic on my phone. Like a voice amp. I can then pretend to be one of the those dodgy party DJs; singing over the track, getting mum and dad on the dance floor and generally being a nuisance. Would be useful for calling the kids downstairs for tea. Would save me having to Facetime them.
Joking aside, it could actually be quite a useful and fun feature.
Badge
Hi,

In my opinion, what is most missing are "Listening profiles"
It would be great if we can create profiles that include rooms to group and sound level to each room.
Then we can select a Listening profile any time or even apply it to an alarm.

Better than the actual grouping function...

Cheers
Emanuel
1. Artists and contributing artist working correctly (artist for album artist, and contributing artist for track artist within a compilation) - mine are the same
2. Compilations held separately
3. Sort by album name but by Artist first
Simple things that would make a world of difference
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Perhaps it's not strictly a controller issue, but none of the listed suggestions strike me as nearly as important as better and tighter integration with Spotify and GPM. The current integrations could be much tighter than they are (and fixing some of the longstanding integration bugs would be appreciated too!)

Dave Ings
One option for a basic algorithm would be that if there is only one controller device active at some point, that device's list of favorites is pushed onto the speakers. They only thing needed that is some contention control in case multiple controllers are active together.
Another option would be to let each controller device hold a separate "private" list of favorites, and add a button with which the user can push that private list to the speakers. That should be really trivial to implement, as it is not much more than a batch of actions that each user can already do manually.
Hmmm. Maybe not so simple, I think. If I'm not mistaken, that data is stored at the speaker level, not on the controller level. So you'd end up having to write some code that 1) uniquely identifies the controller app connected, and 2) adjust the amount of memory on the speaker level to even out the number of controllers that might be connected to it, and then 3) rewrite the controller to store data itself beyond what it currently does, which isn't much.

I've already got issues with not enough space on the speakers to save my playlists. If they were to split out more of that memory for different controllers, I'd be an unhappy camper.

Do you run out of space for each of your "favorites"?
I would really like it if different controllers can each have their own favorites lists. Such that my wife has her favorites on her phone and laptop, I have mine on my devices, and our kids have theirs on their tablets. That would be really awesome, and it should be really simple to implement.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Would love to have a resizable android widget. Also, one which isn't quite so dark?

Take a look at Sonos Widget / Sonos Widget Pro (a third party app in Google Play Store) ... Pro version worth buying just so that you can have one giant (resizeable) widget that shows all of the players and what they are playing... with a few limited controls too
Would love to have a resizable android widget. Also, one which isn't quite so dark?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I really wish the last played song in the queue would be remembered after I switch from the line in jack on my play 5 and then back. It's hooked up to a tv so any time I watch tv, I then can't resume in the queue when I want to play music. I usually have a long playlist do it's not trivial to get back to where it left off. Thecqueue always goes back to the first song in the list.
Stateful Mute for Group Members
Desired action: Mute individual speaker in a group. Mute group. Un-mute group. Only previously un-muted group members should be un-muted
I guess another way to put it, if a speaker is muted individually within a group, then the only way to take it out of Mute should be to individually un-mute that speaker.

If I have a 2 speaker group, say Office and LR. I sometimes mute my office speaker (via individual volume drop down in controller) while on the phone. If someone in the living room Mutes the group, and then un-mutes the group, my office speaker starts playing during my call.

The only solution of course is continuously grouping and ungrouping, which is less than optimal.
Is there some way a numerical display could be added to the volume control? I can never figure out if the slider is set at the correct volume for an alarm vs when I listen to music. It would help to know I like my alarm volume set at 14 (for instance), so when I set up a new alarm, I know where to place the slider.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos webmaster should copy "Spotify Ideas" process on their community site. It is the best way to follow new demands and votes from each user. What we experience here is pretty messy...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos webmaster should copy "Spotify Ideas" process on their community site. It is the best way to follow new demands and votes from each user. What we experience here is pretty messy...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Only could vote for additional support for casting from a device, but i would like to see more support for allowing external controllers (Google Assistant, Siri, Alexa) control the sonos app from my phone.
A Linux controller for god's sake. You built the system on Linux. Give something back.