Wi-Fi emissions

• 13 August 2018
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Better break out the tin foil hats and take every Wifi device and put it in the garbage.
Best not go outside in the sunshine. Far more radiation than your WiFi will ever expose you to.
This reminds me of the Odenkirk elder brother in Better Call Saul and his issues with RF with the extreme measures taken to address them. I haven't figured out whether these issues were real or just in his head in the story.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yep, I have a family member worried about his WiFi killing him but he keeps a cell phone in his pants pocket or screwed to his ear about 18 hours a day.

I just looked and I have about a dozen close 2.4 Ghz Wifi systems plus my two, and a half dozen on 5 GHz plus mine. So me cutting back there won't be helping much.

Then there is our cordless phone setup that has six extensions that is in the 5 GHz range.

And our two cell phones, that are low emitters when we are home because I can see the BIG local cell tower from the back yard.

By the time you have added in all the RF flying around, most of which isn't easily identified without expensive gear your own WiFi isn't a big enough contributor to be significant.
Yes, cell phone signals are thousands of times more powerful with respect to RF than WiFi. The British Health Protection Agency says that if a person spends one year in a location with a Wi-Fi hotspot, they will receive the same dose of radio waves as if they had made a 20-minute call on a mobile phone. I tried explaining this to a person who wanted to use 3G to control Sonos in order to "cut down on dangerous WiFi radiation" and I was excoriated for it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6676129.stm
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Before you do anything else try to solve the fear issue.

Grab a free WiFi analyzer app for your tablet or phone and show the person with WiFi issues just what is already going on in your area in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz ranges.

Next pull up a cell phone tower map as well as making a note of every cell phone in the home and surrounding homes if you can. A phone in your pocket is giving you a lot more RF than a Sonos on a shelf.

You may not quiet their fear of RF energy but you'll be able to show that Sonos is a very minor contributor to the problem.

You can also cut down on the Sonos RF emissions level by wiring as many speakers as possible to your router while not disabling WiFi internally. Much better option than forcing WiFi off.

My step had has been reading that Wi-FI and EMF are bad for you.

If you really believe that, Sonos is the least of your issues if you live in a typical urban environment that is flooded with other people using emitting devices; so while not using Sonos for music, make sure you are covering all these bases as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
How are you going to control it? if you plan on using your phone then THAT will need Wi-Fi of course. The only non-WiFi solution would be a PC/Mac hard-wired to the router.
Can you make your Sonos have no Wi-Fi signal at all?
My step had has been reading that Wi-FI and EMF are bad for you. so I’m not allowed to buy anything that as a Wi-Fi Signal. Any suggestion?

Well, I'd be surprised if the small levels involved would make a huge difference, but I suppose it depends how paranoid one is.
It is possible to switch off the Sonos wi-fi completely, with all network traffic going via the ethernet port(s), but it's not a supported configuration - so if you have a problem, Sonos won't support you unless you set it back to the default.