Question

When is Echo Support coming?

• 28 October 2015
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Guys,

Let me start off by saying I love you guys. I have a Playbar, Play 5, Play 3, Connect, and am looking to complete my Playbar setup with a couple of Play 1's and a Sub soon.

I also have an Amazon Echo and it is awesome. In fact, it's a bit too awesome and I find myself asking Alexa to play music just because if I want to hear a song, all I have to do is ask; I don't have to bust out my phone. The problem is the speakers on the Echo are mediocre at best. I would much prefer the sound to come out of my Sonos system. With the "internet of things" really starting to take off - integration is going to become more and more important.

Amazon Echo has sort of a plugins-type interface called skills. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/getting-started-guide
It would be amazing if you guys could create an skill for Sonos. Something like "Alexa, tell Sonos to play *playlist*." or music by _____ or x from pandora.

I've done some searching and this comes up on this forum a lot. I think it's time you started listening to your community. With skills you no longer need much help from Amazon so its on you to keep your customers happy. Please do not start your own voice recognition or anything silly like that. Stick to what you're great at. Just use what is already available and on the markets and integrate with them.

Thanks
-Collin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

I know SONOS doesn't really care about just one customer, but Amazon has just changed my mind with the release of the Amazon Dot. I was going to purchase a Play 1 for my office, but now I can just use the dot to voice control a nice speaker I already had. I was really hoping for some kind of echo integration by now, but its clear that SONOS doesn't really care that much. I love the ability to just tell Alexa what I want to listen to and it just plays. It works very well in the kitchen, and I'm finding myself using my voice rather than searching for my phone and sonos app. I hope for future integration, because I would love to use my SONOS play 5 with my voice "play Adele in the living room". However, if they remain silent with no plans to add in integration, I'll take my money and invest into nice speakers that I can use with the Amazon Dot.

I love SONOS, but they had better hop on the echo train. They will be in serious trouble as soon as Echos have the ability to communicate with each other. The ability to voice activate my music from any room, while using any high quality speaker of my choice AND for less money $$$. Oh boy.

Please integrate.
We also still don't know if Amazon are interested in allowing third parties access to their voice control technology.

Ahh.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frH9HaQTFL8
We also still don't know if Amazon are interested in allowing third parties access to their voice control technology.

I can't sit through 10 and half minutes while at work, precis it for me. Is this in any way an official Amazon implementation?

I can't sit through 10 and half minutes while at work, precis it for me. Is this in any way an official Amazon implementation?

In short, amazon gives third parties access to directly install alexa on third party devices. It is "official" as its available to developers.

With that being said, amazon is releasing this http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14047587011. Unfortunately it only supports 3.5mm output. So in theory, we just need a way that this device can override the current output and we're in business.
With that being said, amazon is releasing this http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14047587011. Unfortunately it only supports 3.5mm output. So in theory, we just need a way that this device can override the current output and we're in business.

If by "override the current output" you mean have the line-in on a Play:5, Connect:Amp, or Connect automatically switch over when it senses audio input, that can be done now by turning on Autoplay in the settings menu. As to there only being a 3.5mm output, the Play:5 input is already 3.5mm, and there are adapters to convert 3.5mm to RCA for the Connects.

If by "override the current output" you mean have the line-in on a Play:5, Connect:Amp, or Connect automatically switch over when it senses audio input, that can be done now by turning on Autoplay in the settings menu. As to there only being a 3.5mm output, the Play:5 input is already 3.5mm, and there are adapters to convert 3.5mm to RCA for the Connects.

Is there a way to set priority on something like that? What I mean by override is if I am watching TV and I say "alexa", I want the audio to switch to the echo, and when its done switch back.
No. The Autoplay function simply senses input on the analog line-in (or digital optical on the Playbar) and switches to that source. Switching back is manual.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually, they have a complete portal https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/devices/echo along with fully documented API's and code examples for developers to integrate with anything you could want.
Actually, they have a complete portal https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/devices/echo along with fully documented API's and code examples for developers to integrate with anything you could want.

Yeah I already covered this above 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge
Checking back in several months later.

As a compromise you might consider getting an Echo Dot and connecting it to the line-in of your Sonos player in the room or rooms you most often listen to music in. This would give you both the convenience of Echo plus the sound quality of Sonos. You could also share the Echo Dot sound with other rooms via Sonos and still use Sonos in the traditional old fashioned app control way if you wanted to listen to your local music library.

Thats exactly what I'm doing now that the Echo Dot has a line-out. Going to connect it to the line-in on my Play 5. Using the autoplay will let it override whats currently playing. I think this works with groups also. Interested to see how it plays with my PLAY BAR if the TV will take back control or whatnot. Still would like to see some sort of official integration fron SONOS.

Actually, Echo is extendable by third parties. They have a whole API around it. This is just SONOS not caring.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would think they would go about the direction of adding Sonos skills to the existing echo.

Users would buy the inexpensive Echo Dot and use it for voice control of Sonos units.

It wouldn't take a lot to provide that integration fairly rapidly utilizing the support for 3rd party development that Amazon has in place.

I wouldn't think a Sonos unit with Echo hardware/software integrated would be the answer - but Echo ability to control Sonos. Especially now that Echo can be purchased in speakerless form.

For me right now adding the Echo Dot I have to hardwire the Dot to my Play:5 and utilize Echo to play music when doing by voice. Echo is limited in only being able to pull music for a couple different services. Really just Amazon Prime Music and a few free internet radio type services like Pandora. So my voice control of music playing will be limited to those few services with the Dot connected to Play:5.

However, by adding Sonos skills to Echo you should be able to tap into all the Sonos resources. Such as Skill " Alexa play Sonos artist *, song *"

Using Smartthings I can currently ask Echo to turn on/turn off Sonos or create some playlists in Smartthings that I can then trigger from Echo. Fairly basic stuff already can do....but imagine if Sonos developed its own Echo skill.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Chris,

Does that mean you have changed your mind on:

I personally want Sonos to devote no effort to this. There are plenty of other wish list items to work on and spend development time on that are not niche device support (better suited to third party development through API)

And that you'd be okay with them developing a basic Alexa skill to allow integration between the two APIs?

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We'll I do still stand on the side of it not really being essential to the experience vs. more of a convienience. However, I will admit being rather short sighted at the potential of Echo. I wasn't aware until I got mine how they had embraced third party development of skills vs. the likes of Siri where it is such a closed environment I would hate for anyone to devote resources to.

However - - while it is nice that it appears to be coming and high on their list of the direction Sonos wants to go. I would actually still say it would not be near the top of my list of things I would like to see implemented on Sonos.

I would still rather see Sonos devote energy to things such as party mode, surround sound improved capability and improvements, additional search options etc. vs. voice control. But I'm certainly not upset that they are implementing voice control. I don't see the CEO putting out an announcement that they think Party Mode options in their controller is the direction forward for the company.

I will say Echo is still rather limited in what it can do vs. the likes of Siri but the third party ability of Echo is what sets it apart and I was wrong in not realizing the effort Amazon has gone to in promoting an Echo Ecosystem. Amazon needs Echo to increase rapidly in its abilities. I have to say when I got mine a few weeks ago I wasn't all that impressed with its abilities out of the box. It wasn't until I added Smartthings and Logitech Harmony integration to it that it became less a gimmick device and more of a useful appliance.

And while I was take it or leave it on my Echo. The Dot to me opens up a good deal more things with the lower price (more affordable for multiple units) and the audio output (integrate to my play:5 already in kitchen).

So my original full Echo - to the bedroom. Dot to remain in kitchen most likely. Although I could put dot in my bedroom and hook to the connect input I have in there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What I really need is a dot now in both locations.

Biggest wish now is that one echo could control another.
Userlevel 4
Badge
What I really need is a dot now in both locations.
Biggest wish now is that one echo could control another.

I'll admit to having pre-ordered 2 dots and have the same questions. I guess I'll find out when the Dots come in. I'm sure there will be some quirks to get used to, but we are both taking the same route for integration via Play:5 and autoplay. I suspect I'll have my Playbar on a separate group to keep my TV sound separate and the rest of my SONOS in another group for autoplay.

Also, thank you for admitting the potential now that you've used echo 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My most used Sonos units are my master bath, kitchen, and bar. The bar would be good to have echo because I currently have a Smartthings routine that turns on all bar lights and the arcade machine. I have an Echo command "turn on bar" or "turn off bar" that currently works but my Echo is a few rooms away so I have to walk in there to issue the command. So I may need to get a dot for that room as well (and hook to the connect:amp in the bar).

Really the current Echo is the odd man out. I really need a bunch of dots for each Sonos unit and not the current Echo I have. Of course - a Sonos skill would mean don't need to hook the dots to a Sonos unit and can be much more flexible with playing to different rooms from a single echo. And I really don't like playing music via Alexa as very limited in what you can do and it goes over home wifi. So yes your desire for native skill to play Sonos (and thus all Sonos services) is the way to go.
Looks like the Alexa bird is coming home to roost at Sonos...

http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/sonos-caught-snoozing-speaker-firm-cuts-staff-amazons-echo-catches-fire/

From the Sonos CEO blog post...

We’re fans of what Amazon has done with Alexa and the Echo product line. Voice recognition isn’t new; today it’s nearly ubiquitous with Siri, OK Google, and Cortana. But the Echo found a sweet spot in the home and will impact how we navigate music, weather, and many, many other things as developers bring new ideas and more content to the Alexa platform.

Alexa/Echo is the first product to really showcase the power of voice control in the home. Its popularity with consumers will accelerate innovation across the entire industry. What is novel today will become standard tomorrow. Here again, Sonos is taking the long view in how best to bring voice-enabled music experiences into the home. Voice is a big change for us, so we’ll invest what’s required to bring it to market in a wonderful way.
There is always going to be conflict between manufacturers not wanting their device sales cannabalized by developing solutions supporting their competitors. This is classic conflict between companies and its customers. Customers want to grow the ecosystem and companies want to control it. Companies like Sonos could simply create open APIs for their devices and let the consumer grow the ecosystem by developing solutions and even selling them. This will be an ongoing problem for consumers until companies like Sonos, Amazon, and others let consumers drive how their products are used or realize that the more interconnected they make their products, the more of those products they will sell.
This will be an ongoing problem for consumers until companies like Sonos, Amazon, and others let consumers drive how their products are used or realize that the more interconnected they make their products, the more of those products they will sell.

I'm not sure how this critique applies to Amazon. So far, the Echo/Alexa interface has been 100% open, and they are going out of their way to allow interconnection with their product, including allowing other companies to embed Alexa voice technology into their third party hardware instead of having to go through an Echo.

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2062557
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
There is always going to be conflict between manufacturers not wanting their device sales cannabalized by developing solutions supporting their competitors. This is classic conflict between companies and its customers. Customers want to grow the ecosystem and companies want to control it. Companies like Sonos could simply create open APIs for their devices and let the consumer grow the ecosystem by developing solutions and even selling them.
True, but Sonos devices can be controlled by / streamed to using UPnP and it works really well
Looks to me like the Sonos CEO is saying they will do their own voice control that will go against Amazon Echo.

That kinda sucks. I already have Siri, Echo, Google and now I will have to say Sonos...

Would also be nice if the Playbar had a Line-in so I could just connect my Echo Dot :-(

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11191978/sonos-Amazon-echo-alexa
Looks to me like the Sonos CEO is saying they will do their own voice control that will go against Amazon Echo.

That kinda sucks. I already have Siri, Echo, Google and now I will have to say Sonos...

Would also be nice if the Playbar had a Line-in so I could just connect my Echo Dot :-(

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11191978/sonos-Amazon-echo-alexa

Actually, he leaves it pretty vague, and from a financial standpoint it would be insane to do it from scratch. Also, perusal of the Sonos Help Wanted listings say differently. They are seeking hardware people with microphone array experience, but no listings for software people with voice recognition skills. My speculation is Sonos will be using Echo/Alexa tech, both embedded and via the Echo devices. No insider knowledge except working in IT.
Userlevel 1
Echo Dot connected to Sonos 'Connect' and we're good right? this guy did it...seems like a no brainer? Now we just wait for Amazon to allow multiple Alexa's to connect as well (i.e. Tell my Alexa in the living room to 'play Beck' but then I can go into the kitchen and use that Alexa to control as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpFh5FCREU&nohtml5=False
I've found at least one possible solution, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart. There's a GitHub repository that involves a NodeJS bridge:

https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos

If none of what I just typed makes any sense, I wouldn't even try.

The other option is currently only available to Amazon Prime members who also happen to own a Connect or Connect:AMP, which I happen to. I can't imagine why this won't work, but I'm going to try it once I order one. Amazon makes a miniature version of the Amazon Echo called the Amazon Dot:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14047587011

Basically, it's an Echo minus speakers that you can plug into any sound system you feel like. So my working thesis is that Amazon Dot -> Sonos Connect (or Connect:AMP) -> Sonos will work just fine.

As of this post, you can only buy Amazon Dots via a voice command to an Amazon Echo, and ONLY if you are an Amazon Prime member.
This is such an awesome idea. Instead of Sonos trying to invent and implement their own voice control, just integrate with Echo. I don't have one right now, but if I could control my sonos system with an Echo / Alexa, I'd buy one right now. That would be so badass.

SONOS...LET'S DO THIS!