Updates have ruined my Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hi kieron d

Regular participants on this forum will often see a post similar to yours where following an update a user's Sonos system becomes unstable. I've seen many with 7.1 and now 7.2 a few newones have started...

I'd hazard to say that this is ...almost always... (ok... certainly very often) a result of networking challenges that arise in the environment when the players reboot themselves and request new IP addresses from the network router.

I strongly suggest you begin with assuming that an IP address conflict has occurred over your network where more than one device is using the same IP address - this creates substantial communication challenges and Sonos really requires an excellent communication environment to operate properly.

IMO the most straightforward way to resolve IP conflicts is to shut down/unplug every device on your network. Printers, computers, tablets, phones, Sonos gear, etc. etc. then power off your router and modem if different.... then restart /power up the modem, the router, and each device one at a time.... this will cause each device to get a new IP address from the router and the router should, because of the timeliness of the reconnections, avoid providing duplicates.

Network routers fairly commonly lose track of utilized IP addresses and can assign a duplicate IP address to a device on your network. An example of how this happens would be: Let's say you have a computer that connects to your network. When it does for the first time in a long time, it likely requests a new IP addresses... all is great. Now you update your Sonos products while that particular computer happens to be in hibernation mode.... if the router thinks the IP is free, it may assign that IP to one of the players. Now when the computer wakes up, it doesn't request a new IP, so sends communication across the network signed as that IP.... and thus you end up with communication problems since two devices are using the same address. I'm not saying this exactly happened, but this does happen (duplicate IP addresses) all the time and can cause challenges with devices that require high quality networking communication.

Assuming this solves your challenge.... You can avoid having this happen in the future by logging into your network router and assigning IP addresses to your Sonos gear - in fact it is good to do so for all devices that typically connect to your network. This is strongly recommended - it ensures your Sonos Gear will always operate with the same addresses and your router will know they are in use. This isn't all that hard typically, but just takes a bit of time and you will avoid this happening to you in the future. I'd suggest you pick a range for your Sonos gear well above what would typically be assigned by your router... so say, start at 192.168.1.100 and go up from there...