unable to play - server cannot be found

• 15 October 2014
  • 41 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Can you try to remove and re-add the share to Sonos? Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Scott, are you using a VPN on the computer hosting your music library?  That turned out to be my problem. Took me a long time to hunt down because at least with my system (Win 8.1), the fact that my VPN was still connected isn't obvious.
Guys, are any of you Mac users?  Sonos customer services were great and helped sort this out:

They said that with the last Mac update it's affected Sonos as it renamed the Mac and the new name was too long.  

You have to rename it in 2 places: WINS in Network Preferences/advanced and also under Sharing. It then connected perfectly and remedied the issue.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
In the last few days I spent some time creating playlists in sonos that fetch flac files from a library on a windows 7 machine on my wired gigabit LAN (with wifi for phones / tablets). I quickly ran into the error that the OP here experienced. My iPad would frequently throw a "Unable to play '<music title>' - cannot connect to //<myserver>/<share> because the server cannot be found."

On trying to figure out if it was a DNS or other broader network issue I (pretty much accidentally) stumbled across something unexpected about the machine that the files are stored on. From the command prompt on the windows box I initiated a ping of itself (that was the accidentally bit, my morning cofee hadnt kicked in). To my surprise, the ping command showed an IPv6 address and 4 successful pings returned in good time. I do not run IPv6 on my network and thought that I had turned IPv6 off for that network card. I have now turned off IPv6 and restarted a few things such as the DNS server and have been able to play music and force library rescans without issue.

It has only been about 5 hours since I made this change so I may be jumping the gun but its about 4 hours more than what I was able to get previously. I hope this may assist others. It is my understanding that Sonos does not support IPv6 (only IPv4) and if people are trouble-shooting their networks, checking that IPV6 is disabled should only be a good thing.  

MD
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Its likely a NetBIOS issue which only supports device names with max 15 characters.
Likely renaming the PC and removing/adding the music library in the Sonos controller pointing tho the new device name will be the fix.
Userlevel 1
Its likely a NetBIOS issue which only supports device names with max 15 characters.
Likely renaming the PC and removing/adding the music library in the Sonos controller pointing tho the new device name will be the fix.

Machine name is HTPC5
Sonos Customer Service helped me figure out that I had a bad cable between my router and bridge.  
Hi guys, I'm a Mac user and I just thought I'd let you know that Sonos customer services were great and helped sort this out. They said that with the last Mac update, it's affected Sonos, renamed the Mac and the new name was too long.

We renamed it in 2 places: WINS in Network Preferences/advanced and also under Sharing. It then connected perfectly and remedied the issue. Hope this helps.

Thank you for this solution. Spent an hour trying to figure out what was going on, read this post and fixed it in under 1 minute!
Once again it appears that Sonos has lost connectivity to my music server. I use the Sonos bridge together with a Sonos 5 player and multiple Sonos player apps on PC, Android and the Sonos controller.

Along with not being able to see album art, clicking play on either my Sonos controller or in the Sonos PC app results in a notification to the effect of "Unable to play '<music title>' - cannot connect to //<myserver>/<share> because the server cannot be found."

I'm getting pretty tired and angry about doing the routine to shutting down all devices including my router and then restarting in the order of router, bridge, Sonos 5 device.

I've submitted diagnostic log 4072501.
Don’t know if you found this out yet, but you can eliminate the computer as the middle man in this equation. For IPhone users, Google how to connect Sonos to Apple ITunes and it becomes a straight forward process. I imagine you can look up how to connect out music sources to Android phones.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can you try to remove and re-add the share to Sonos? Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Please check if your computer can see your music server on the network.

Go to Control Panel > network and Sharing Center > View network computers and devices.

If it does indeed appear there and you're still unable to add it we kindly advise that you call us (toll free) for further troubleshooting We'll be able to remote to your computer and look into the issue.

Let me know how it goes, thanks.

I am having the same issue, I called into tech support and the tech was very helpful but we still were not able to get my music library connected.  I have tried several things even going so far as installing the controller app on my laptop. I was able to add the local laptop library but not the one over the network.  On my PC the library is local but still will not add it; it gives the same error message that the "PC_Name" cannot be found. I work in PC support and am at my wits end, I can't seem to figure this one out.. Help!!

Thanks,

As indicated above, these problems all occurred after the update, and obviously haven't been solved. If Sonos doesn't solve this problem soon, some class-action lawyers may become interested. Please do something.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the library. Have you tried to re-add it? If it still won't play please call us (toll free from landline) for further troubleshooting.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That's great, Tim!  Nice to hear that someone's experience has improved.

I use a Sonos bridge and don't use the new wifi mode. I have, however, just made the same sort of router config change to dedicate/reserve the assigned IPs to the various Sonos devices. If that makes a difference in stability of the wireless connectivity of the devices and their access to the music share, awesome. But it would be a mitigation on a regression introduced with the introduction of the bridge-less/wifi-only architecture.

I use a Sonos bridge and don't use the new wifi mode. I have, however, just made the same sort of router config change to dedicate/reserve the assigned IPs to the various Sonos devices. If that makes a difference in stability of the wireless connectivity of the devices and their access to the music share, awesome. But it would be a mitigation on a regression introduced with the introduction of the bridge-less/wifi-only architecture.

my opinion is that the wifi-only option is great for 1st time buyers. its like a gateway drug to the sonos system. it can directly compete with the 'other guys' and it lowers the entry cost. once someone expands their system to multiple zones/multiple units per zone, the cost of the bridge or boost becomes negligible (or unnecessary), and you get a much more robust system and enjoyable experience.

pretty smart on their part, despite the (assumed) increase in support issues.

I didn't reserve any IP addresses in my router to fix this; I found that deleting the "Homegroup" settings from my PC took care of it.. I use the bridge and just have DHCP enabled on my wireless router.  When I called tech support he logged on to my PC and couldn't find anything wrong with my setup and said they would have to continue looking into it.. I'm not one for having much patience when it come to my tech not functioning so I started looking at what might have been missed. and that was it.. I hope that this helps someone else.