unable to play - server cannot be found

• 15 October 2014
  • 41 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Sonos Customer Service helped me figure out that I had a bad cable between my router and bridge.  
Paul, I'm on Mac too mate and have resolved the issue. See my comment above.
I am experiencing same on a MAC.  SONOS should get something posted on this. 
Sonos Customer Service helped me figure out that I had a bad cable between my router and bridge.  
Hi guys, I'm a Mac user and I just thought I'd let you know that Sonos customer services were great and helped sort this out. They said that with the last Mac update, it's affected Sonos, renamed the Mac and the new name was too long.

We renamed it in 2 places: WINS in Network Preferences/advanced and also under Sharing. It then connected perfectly and remedied the issue. Hope this helps.
Sonos Customer Service helped me figure out that I had a bad cable between my router and bridge.  I would have never guessed as it was essentially brand new. Replaced that and all is good!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Having same problem. Submitted diagnostic 4302298 

My firewall is turned off and was working last night without any changes to my system.
That's great, Tim!  Nice to hear that someone's experience has improved.

I use a Sonos bridge and don't use the new wifi mode. I have, however, just made the same sort of router config change to dedicate/reserve the assigned IPs to the various Sonos devices. If that makes a difference in stability of the wireless connectivity of the devices and their access to the music share, awesome. But it would be a mitigation on a regression introduced with the introduction of the bridge-less/wifi-only architecture.

I didn't reserve any IP addresses in my router to fix this; I found that deleting the "Homegroup" settings from my PC took care of it.. I use the bridge and just have DHCP enabled on my wireless router.  When I called tech support he logged on to my PC and couldn't find anything wrong with my setup and said they would have to continue looking into it.. I'm not one for having much patience when it come to my tech not functioning so I started looking at what might have been missed. and that was it.. I hope that this helps someone else.

I use a Sonos bridge and don't use the new wifi mode. I have, however, just made the same sort of router config change to dedicate/reserve the assigned IPs to the various Sonos devices. If that makes a difference in stability of the wireless connectivity of the devices and their access to the music share, awesome. But it would be a mitigation on a regression introduced with the introduction of the bridge-less/wifi-only architecture.

my opinion is that the wifi-only option is great for 1st time buyers. its like a gateway drug to the sonos system. it can directly compete with the 'other guys' and it lowers the entry cost. once someone expands their system to multiple zones/multiple units per zone, the cost of the bridge or boost becomes negligible (or unnecessary), and you get a much more robust system and enjoyable experience.

pretty smart on their part, despite the (assumed) increase in support issues.
Userlevel 1
Badge

My problem is now fixed. I called Sonos support line and they were excellent. We went through a number of potential fixes until now I have no issue. Mine was fixed by fixing/reserving the IP address for the Sonos to connect to. My advice call the support line get them to remotely set your system for you and talk you through it. Very helpful and pleasant. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can you try to remove and re-add the share to Sonos? Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the library. Have you tried to re-add it? If it still won't play please call us (toll free from landline) for further troubleshooting.
Can you try to remove and re-add the share to Sonos? Let me know how it goes, thanks.

This is ridiculous - I have had Sonos for years without problems and in the last several weeks, I have had nothing but frustration.  I wish I could return all 5 of my Sonos components!!!!!!!!!

As indicated above, these problems all occurred after the update, and obviously haven't been solved. If Sonos doesn't solve this problem soon, some class-action lawyers may become interested. Please do something.

I am having the same issue, I called into tech support and the tech was very helpful but we still were not able to get my music library connected.  I have tried several things even going so far as installing the controller app on my laptop. I was able to add the local laptop library but not the one over the network.  On my PC the library is local but still will not add it; it gives the same error message that the "PC_Name" cannot be found. I work in PC support and am at my wits end, I can't seem to figure this one out.. Help!!

Thanks,
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Please check if your computer can see your music server on the network.

Go to Control Panel > network and Sharing Center > View network computers and devices.

If it does indeed appear there and you're still unable to add it we kindly advise that you call us (toll free) for further troubleshooting We'll be able to remote to your computer and look into the issue.

Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I tried that but that doesn't work. After removing the share and attempting to re-add, it just doesn't see the server at that point. "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: The computer "<myserver>" cannot be found."

These flakey network connectivity issues all stem from the initial Sonos software update when the bridge-less/wifi support was added. Prior to that update, I never had these sorts of problems. I'm frustrated that Sonos isn't apparently listening to all the customers who have complained about this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3