Answered

Unable to connect with Sonos. Fix it - After upgrading to S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Kyle,

My TV is an LG GX65 OLED 2020 model. I connect to Sonos Arc via HDMI eArc (HDMI 2 on that model). 

For now, since I switched both iPhone (hosting S2 app) and the Arc to 2.4 GHz WiFi, everything seems to be working fine. I will watch it and take diagnostics off the issue pops up again. Thank you for th response; that’s what’s amazing about your company. Keep up the good work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Nope...didn’t have to wait until tomorrow.  Both components are offline again.

I wonder if there is a timeout on the NICs now with S2.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well, they stayed connected for about 4 hours.  Here’s the diagnostic after the disconnect - 1315112767.

After a full factory reset, the results are the same.

Are there any knows issues with S2 and hidden networks?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi there,

I’m on S2 and I do not have the issues you are reporting. I force close the App all the time and whenever I launch it, it will reconnect without any issues.

My WiFi is also hidden, that shouldn’t be an issue. 
Just a note for other who are reading this - it is not a good idea to completely factory reset your system as you will loose your saved playlist and all other settings.

I have noticed that complaints similar to your usually come up on the forum whenever a new update is installed - not specific to S1. There’s always a certain surge of such cases after updates.

Usually the recommended action is to switch off all your network components including router and the switch them on again one by one, leaving a minute or so in between component. I would suggest you try that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Pedro C,

I would like to take a look at your system; I would like you to take a diagnostic on the Sonos system and reply with the confirmation number.

Here’s how: Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have restarted both components, they are back online.

I have now setup continuous pings to both components to hopefully act as keep-alives.

I’ll report back soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - We’re still connected over here. So far so good with the update from Sonos!

How is everyone else doing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - Sonos released an update today!  I’ve applied it to my system...let’s see what happens.

Obviously, all products need to be online before updating.  Power-cycling the Playbar or Beam, then verifying the other components are online might be the best thing prior to attempting the update.

Good luck everybody!!

So after yesterday’s app release my system is better and i can now at least play the radio on my One.    However, i still cannot utilise Amazon music without interruptions.   

I’ve been looking at a lot of the UK communities and have found that there are a lot of issues with Sonos and the SkyQ mesh setup i have in my house since the S2 controller was released.    The advice from Sky on how to connect has not worked either so until yesterday i had two very expensive paperweights.    

I’ve not decided yet whether to replace Sky broadband or replace my Sonos speakers but there doesn’t seem to be a solution unfortunately at present.    

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you, Kyle.  I sent two diagnostics today: the first one was when the system was in a failed state, the second one was when the system was connected.

It appears that the Playbar and the Sub are both disconnecting from Wi-Fi.  I can see that the MAC Addresses drop off my access points.  I’m not having any other issues with our network and I am an IT Professional.  I did not have any issues prior to the S2 upgrade.

In order to reconnect, I have to clear the app and run through the join existing system process.  I’m not sure how long it takes before they disconnect.

Thank you for your help.

Hi there!

I have reported this as a potential bug, but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Ever since upgrading to S2, my iOS controller will not stay connected if the Sonos app is force closed.  To reconnect the app, I have to reset the app and join existing system.

As long as the Sonos app is not forced closed, all is well.  As soon as it’s force closed...issue.  I did not have this issue with S1.  I have performed the troubleshooting steps which lead me to this observation.  It’s been a few days now with no issues since leaving the app open.

Thank you for any insight provided.

G’day @BrainSel did you have any suscess with your problems. I've had the same issue ever since the S2 update. In my case I have also lost the ability to use my LG magic remote for 2020LG CX oled with my playbar. I have done practically everything to try to get it going with no luck. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Something to try that has helped a lot of folks is giving the sonos gear static/reserved IP addresses from the router’s DHCP page. Power down Sonos, reboot router and controller, power up the sonos one at a time.

Thanks for the reply.  As a further update I got a longer Ethernet cable and wired in my play base permanently at the weekend and it’s still dropped out 3 or 4 times since so definitely not my network.   The new One I bought is almost unusable now as just drops all the time

Great detective work BrainSel 😁

will try this over the weekend when back home but sounds very positive 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - almost 6 hours later and they are still connected.  If both components are still online tomorrow, I’ll be calling Sonos Support and reporting this bug.

It appears that the Wi-Fi NICs are going to sleep.  Running continuous pings to both components acts as keep-alives.  After doing this today, this is the longest these have stayed online with the S2 upgrade.

More to come...

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @SinfulMax, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response.

I would like you to take a diagnostic in the Sonos app; so we can take a closer look.

Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation number.

I would like to know the Wifi router model you have and any other network devices like mesh systems, network switches, and the like.

So I can check for any known issues with your network setup.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

@BrainSel It didn’t work for me either. On the bright side, some how my LG magic remote has started working to control the volume. Looking forward to getting it working so I can go back to playing music on it from Spotify. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @DaShiznits and @BrainSel, thanks for the update.

@DaShiznits, I’m glad to hear that it’s currently working.

Please do monitor, if the issue will occur again. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

@BrainSel, could you please provide the confirmation number of the diagnostic you took.

So, I can take a look on my end.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@SinfulMax @DhavalD 

Boo...sorry to hear this.

Prior to this discovery, I did a factory reset on my Playbar and Sub and deleted the S2 App.  This isn’t for everybody so judge your own setup to see if that’s a painless first couple of steps.  My setup isn’t that complicated, so for me it was pretty easy.

So...I would try:

• Factory reset all applicable components

• Delete and reinstall the S2 App

• Go through the entire setup process

• Wait until it disconnects

• Perform the steps in the workaround

Sonos Engineers are looking at this.  My system has been online for almost 4 days now...no issues.

I hope this helps.  I feel like we’re getting closer to a good workaround.