Skip to main content
Question

Unable to add the shared folder 1002

• 14 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Following the recent Sonos update, the desktop application refuses to add the library. Despite numerous results on search, Sonos seemingly is refusing to resolve the 913 issue.

It was suggested I move the library to an external hard drive. Which I did and now I get the 1002 error. Sonos resolution to this is meaningless and doesn’t help. 

Apple Music will play through Sonos but the Sonos app refuses to load the library which means I can’t play any music using either the desktop or the mobile app.

Has anyone found a solution this to and please in plain English. 
There are a lot of answers which are gobbleeegook...

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m having the same issues. The 913 error switched to the 1002 after changing file sharing settings.

It’s infuriating. 2 month + without access to my library.

Issue is something to do with the SMB versions. 

The work around is to share each folder up to the point where the music file is stored. This could be quite tedious and time consuming.

The other option is to copy your music to a separate hard drive, which can be plugged into your computer, then map the NAS drive to that drive. The permissions are different for a networked drive than for a system drive, where your iTunes folder is.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Issue is something to do with the SMB versions. 

The work around is to share each folder up to the point where the music file is stored. This could be quite tedious and time consuming.

The other option is to copy your music to a separate hard drive, which can be plugged into your computer, then map the NAS drive to that drive. The permissions are different for a networked drive than for a system drive, where your iTunes folder is.

Unfortunately I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying both work arounds with no success. I’m going to have to accept defeat with Sonos and move onto a more reliable set up. 

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Badge

I have exhausted everything I have even tried Sonos chat and was #15 in queue. After 25 minutes I didn’t move from 15 so I quit chat. I have spend hours and hours trying to get this 1002 error resolved and am finally giving up and moving to Devon Bluetooth speakers. Too bad for Sonos as I was looking too update my system but not anymore. Any company that rushes a software update, takes great functionality out of their app and gives us a broken system is either totally incompetent or run by idiots.

I have run into the same problem.  My music is on an external drive on an iMac 27.
I had to move my music/audiobooks to an external drive due to the size they had become but SONOS 2 wouldn't add the folder.
It was because the drive was formatted in Apple APFS format.  I moved all the files to my the drive I had purchased to build an NAS -- a 12 hour process.  I reformatted the external music drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is the HFS+ format that SONOS says it wants.  I moved the music files back to the now reformatted drive.  Still no joy.  SONOS 2 refused to recognise the folder.  I note after reading all of the comments here that all levels of folders had been made shareable.  I moved a few folders of music to the default Music folder on my main iMac drive.  SONOS 2 still refused to add the folders.  Same error message.  

Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Unable to add the shared folder “BFCiMac/Music”to your Music Library (913).

My eMail to Support@eMail.Sonos.com and SONOS@eMail.Sonos.com have not received any response.  I’m trying to forward the previous messages to Patrick Spence — SONOS CEO <CEO@SONOS.com>

SONOS 5, 4 x SONOS One, SONOS Boost, and SONOS Arc.  Only the Arc is of any use these days as it is attached to my TV.

Any help?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Only the NAS based solution seems to work with the current controller version. And by NAS I mean a box (with disk storage) which hold your music but is connected to your router (via Ethernet), not an external drive connected directly to your computer. How the NAS drive(s) are formatted does not matter, as the data is accessed via the SMB protocol. The only caveat is that the NAS must support either SMB2 and/or SMB3 to be compatible with Sonos S2.