Trueplay “lost speaker” issue

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm having this EXACT same issue! I have Playbar, Sub, and two Play: 1's as L and R surrounds. They are all playing sound, but the exact same problem happens to me during the Trueplay tuning process. I'm using a brand new iPhone 8 plus and even tried another family members iPhone X, and the same issue happened where it said something like "Trueplay can't complete tuning because it can't hear a speaker". It's extremely frustrating. My home is completely silent and there isn't a case on the iPhone when I attempt Trueplay. I will note that about a week ago, when I first set up everything, Trueplay worked all the way through. I rearranged some furniture and want to retune and this is the issue I'm having. I'm also using a BOOST which all speakers are connected to with WM: 0
That's pretty odd, then. I'd recommend that the next time it fails, you immediately run that diagnostic I was talking about, maybe Sonos can find something in the data.
Userlevel 1
Yes, all speakers continue to show and are completely functional. This is simply during actual Trueplay tuning, where you walk around the room waving your phone. I’ll give it a go with the wifi, but there are no other symptoms of problematic connection (for example, we never drop audio to the six Sonos zones in the house.
I think I'm slightly confused by your statement. Are all the speakers that you're running TruePlay still showing on the controller app, and it's just TruePlay that is saying that a speaker is missing, or do you lose a speaker from the controller app in the middle of running TruePlay, and it shows back up later?

I think there's a couple of potentials with regards to what might be causing this issue. One is that somehow your iPhone is losing connection to your wifi momentarily, which would likely generate that error message. The other is that your speaker(s) are dropping connection temporarily, which seems more likely, at least in my mind, especially given the recent software update, which often exposes issues in a local wifi setup.

So, given that, I'd recommend a refresh of your local wifi. Unplug your Sonos speakers from power. While they're unplugged, power cycle your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the first speaker, and wait for it to finish booting up, say a minute or two. Once it's done, then move on to the next speaker, and plug that one in.

This will resolve a couple of potential issues. First, and foremost, it resets the router's DHCP table, and gives the Sonos speakers fresh IP addresses. It also has the potential of resetting the DNS on your router, which occasionally helps things, although not likely this particular situation.

Give that a shot and see if that helps. If it doesn't, and I'm not making any guaranties....(but I'd give it 95% chance of fixing it), then I'd suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.