Trueplay for Android or at least Samsung phones

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 2
In my mind Sonos need not worry about incompatiblity over android Trueplay, as users are well aware of it.

Incompatibility is an inherited issue (not problem) with open ecosystems such as Windows and Android, yet it does not hinder their popularity. For users with priority over compatibility , they will decide on Intel and Samsung based hardware on their own and do not need guidance.

I also own/previously owned non-Intel and non-Samsung based equipments due to their specific features. They indeed have various compatibility issue, and not a problem to me as compatibility was already known as possible issue from the start. Users may switch to Intel and Samsung based equipments but it will be their own flexibility.
As pointed out, I don't think it's just a matter of hardware. There could be variations in how the firmware utilizes the mics or something of that nature. I also don't know that stats showing the volume of Samsung users vs apple users necessarily shows the volume of Sonos owners with Apple vs Sonos owners with Samsung.

I do think lack of will is a distinct possibility, but I don't mean that in a negative way. It may very well be that maintaining trueplay on iphones is taking more development and maintenance time then originally planned, and Sonos doesn't have the resources dedicated to add more devices. It could also be that they believe adding just Samsung will end up getting other android customers unhappy and feeling left out, more than it will please sumsung customers. I don't know what I don't know. I personally don't like making assumptions regarding what I don't know, as I'm rarely able to do so objectively and usually get it wrong.

All that said, since I use a Galaxy myself, I'd absolutely benefit from trueplay on Samsung. Certainly wouldn't complain about it.
Userlevel 2
Might be more to it than just microphones.

Other than just microphones there are many reasons include the lack of will of course....

All handphone components are very specialized leading-edge parts with limited supplier in most case. In the case of the microphone, there is a specialized name for it known as MEMS microphone (microelectronic mechanical systems). Knowles of U.S. is the top supplier to both Apple and Samsung, with a market share of 59%, and AAC Technologies of Hong Kong (13%) and Goertek of China (7%) being 2nd and 3rd repectively.

Top three suppliers already represent 79% of the market share. It is speculative of course but Apple and Samsung are rather likely procuring parts from the top suppliers not fragmented players.

https://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/20-20khz/4431541/Top-ten-MEMS-microphone-vendors-ranked

There can be reasons other than the hardware itself of course.
That Trueplay when launched early in 2016 was limited to iPhones was understandable. That this state of affairs continues 30 months down the line speaks of lack of rigour and attention to detail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
[quote=amun]Again my emphasis is S A M S U N G here being a single vendor not android. Samsung being a single company sells more phone than Apple. Period.

Again - so what?

Neither of us has any idea how many microphones Samsung use, so this is pure speculation.

Sonos may assume its customer able to borrow an Apple device but it I do not think so.

I agree, which is why I feel that they should sort out a cheap universal add-on mic that could work for most people.

As far as I'm concerned it's obvious that Sonos would far prefer for Trueplay to be available to use on whatever portable device the app is running.

It's perfectly valid to be annoyed or frustrated that only iOS devices have Trueplay but it's ridiculous to suggest that it's anything other than technical/variability/quality issues that prevent Sonos enabling Trueplay for other devices.
Again my emphasis is S A M S U N G here being a single vendor not android. Samsung being a single company sells more phone than Apple. Period.

Again - so what?

[quote=sd2000Samsung may uses a few different types of microphones too but Apple certainly do the same. Therefore I cannot see any difference here.[/quote]

Neither of us has any idea how many microphones Samsung use, so this is pure speculation.

Sonos may assume its customer able to borrow an Apple device but it I do not think so.

I agree, which is why I feel that they should sort out a cheap universal add-on mic that could work for most people.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Might be more to it than just microphones.
Userlevel 2
Dear Silverthorn,

If hardware is cited as the reason I do not think it is valid. Base on IDC report market share of Samsung hovers solidly at about 20% vs Apple about 15% to 20% in year 2017. Base on unit of phone sold, Samsung outpaced Apple.

Please note I am referring to a single vendor Samsung here. If Apple product consistency was cited on the ground on a single vendor, there is no reason it cannot apply to Samsung.

In fact it should apply to Samsung more than Apple. Samsung sold 317.7 million units vs Apple 215.8 million units in year 2017.

regards,

It has nothing to do with market share, but the variability of the microphones fitted in Android kit. AIUI Apple just use a few different types, so Sonos can program for them. Android phones use many different types, so it's less feasible.

Having said that, I don't see why (if they really wanted to) they couldn't sell a cheap plug in mike and program for that. Probably too busy with other things....

Again my emphasis is S A M S U N G here being a single vendor not android. Samsung being a single company sells more phone than Apple. Period.

Samsung may uses a few different types of microphones too but Apple certainly do the same. Therefore I cannot see any difference here.

Sonos engineer may have their personal preference on Apple but please bear in mind Samsung simply has a larger user base. Samsung market share would be certainly a valid consideration for any commercial decision I would imagine.

Having Trueplay only on Apple device in my mind is being a dis-service to Samsung user. Samsung users may continue to use Sonos product but certainly not very happy about it.

Sonos may assume its customer able to borrow an Apple device but it I do not think so. With bio-metrics data, communications apps, and even credit card data on mobile phone these days I do not want to loan my Samsung device to anybody. My friendly Sonos dealer here certainly does not have an Apple device to loan its customer.

Being suggestions, as Silverhorn mentioned, Sonos may market a cheap mic or include a cheap mic in new products like the surround sound receiver manufacturers. More plausible, Sonos may use the mic embedded in Sonos One and the upcoming Beam if there is continued hesitation on Samsung.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'd be interested to know how often Sonos revisit hardware or approach manufacturers to see if their hardware is more steady state.
I can't believe there's 'that' many different microphones fitted to higher end Samsungs.
As frustrating as it is, it's not as though Sonos would wilfully exclude such a large user base from the functionality - but as I say, how often is it reconsidered?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Dear Silverthorn,

If hardware is cited as the reason I do not think it is valid. Base on IDC report market share of Samsung hovers solidly at about 20% vs Apple about 15% to 20% in year 2017. Base on unit of phone sold, Samsung outpaced Apple.

Please note I am referring to a single vendor Samsung here. If Apple product consistency was cited on the ground on a single vendor, there is no reason it cannot apply to Samsung.

In fact it should apply to Samsung more than Apple. Samsung sold 317.7 million units vs Apple 215.8 million units in year 2017.

regards,

I'd be doubtful that you could be sure any particular Samsung phone had the same microphone from batch to batch let alone all the possible Android phone makes and models.
Dear Silverthorn,

regards,

It has nothing to do with market share, but the variability of the microphones fitted in Android kit. AIUI Apple just use a few different types, so Sonos can program for them. Android phones use many different types, so it's less feasible.

Having said that, I don't see why (if they really wanted to) they couldn't sell a cheap plug in mike and program for that. Probably too busy with other things....
Userlevel 2
Dear Silverthorn,

regards,
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Too many variables on Android to do it apparently. Wouldn't hold your breath.