Answered

Trueplay and Android

• 11 January 2017
  • 60 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

I'd argue that for TruePlay purposes, a microphone right next to the emission point of the sound will have difficulty picking up the aspects of the room dynamics. Much easier on a microphone that is in a separate device. I wouldn't say that has much to do with the quality of the microphones, but of their placement.

Now, I also don't think it's impossible to mitigate that with software, but I'm not smart enough to know how much of a possibility that is. I suspect that there's some amount of software adjustment being done so that it can "hear" your voice. But it's one thing, I think, to reduce the impact of what's being played in order to hear something else, and another entirely to listen to what is being generated, and reflected back.

I do know that if I want to tune a pair of speakers, I'd prefer not to have a jackhammer going in the same room. 🙂
Well, I suppose....different use cases, different room layouts, different house layouts, different volumes, different voices, different expectations.....
Is it possible for a simple software solution whereby android users can borrow an iphone to tune, export a calibration file, and then simply download it into android?
Would users be prepared to take their Android to a dealer and have its microphone calibrated? Would they pay a fee for this service?
You could just borrow the iPhone to run Trueplay. Then you could toggle it at will using the Android device, I believe. You just can’t run the TruePlay process, but you can toggle it off and on.
You could just borrow the iPhone to run Trueplay. Then you could toggle it at will using the Android device, I believe. You just can’t run the TruePlay process, but you can toggle it off and on.

Oh! Thx is tht so?! Then its not so much a disappointmt..:)

But because u r nt so sure when u said "I believe.." haha. Can anyone else verify tht this is so? Thx
Yes, it is so, for sure. You can toggle Trueplay off via Android if you prefer the sound that way. Or, if you shift the speakers to another location, till you get a chance to retune via a borrowed iPhone.
Yes, it is so, for sure. You can toggle Trueplay off via Android if you prefer the sound that way. Or, if you shift the speakers to another location, till you get a chance to retune via a borrowed iPhone.
Oh great! Thx
Homepod :)

Which only recently, I think, got the ability to be a stereo speaker, and still has no option to be part of a Home Theater speaker.

I’m one of those “sheep” as you call me, yet there are some rooms that I’ve TruePlayed, and heard absolutely no difference, and some that I’ve heard a positive change. Frankly, right now, there’s 3 rooms in my controller that haven’t been “TruePlayed”, because I don’t feel the need.

As you say, it’s not an absolute necessity. It’s just an extra that Sonos provides, but even without it, Sonos puts out absolutely outstanding product.