Question

The Sonos app will not start in Windows 10 version 2004

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Badge

Unfortunately it isn’t working for me - I still get the same arithmetic overflow processing image data.

Hello

I do not understand - processing image data? What image data? Explain your issue reproduction steps, please.

Anyway, there were two Windows Updates on the same date stamp:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4569745/kb4569745-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4566782/windows-10-update-kb4566782

Have you received and installed both of the above?

Regards

JP

Badge

The Library service is shared between both versions (though it lives in the V2 directory), so I would suggest:

1. uninstall both apps
  2. Reboot the PC
  3. Install S2 and see if that starts up at least

I don’t have 2004 on any of my machines yet. One only just got 1909 for some reason.

Or you could use a third-party app Darryl :-)

I can confirm that the above recipe resolves the issue at hand. I run Windows 10 2004. I used to have Sonos S1 app and added S2 before the upgrade to Windows 10 2004.

Some time ago, I uninstalled S1 and wondered whether there might be fall-out. There has been. S2 has refused to start. Repairing the S2 installation has not helped. Finally, I have uninstalled S2, rebooted my laptop, installed S2 (installer SonosDesktopController1203). I have checked the Windows Firewall for presence of Sonos and Sonos library executables allowed on the private network (my home network). All good.

Now, peace and decorum have been restored. Sonos S2 launches again in my Windows 10 2004.

Update: I am afraid, the above solution that I have commented on only works the first time after fresh installation. Upon further start attempts, Sonos S2 only pops the start banner and gets no further.

Sonos, please, fix. Windows 10 2004 does not like S2.

Badge

I have both of those installed, I have deleted the app, restarted and reinstalled the app but I am still getting this message in the XML log.

/><Execution ProcessName="Sonos" ProcessID="19564" ThreadID="3" /><Channel/><Computer>TIM-HP</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem>Unhandled exception caught at the dispatcher. Dispatcher:</DataItem><DataItem>System.OverflowException: The image data generated an overflow during processing. ---&gt; System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation.&#xD;&#xA;   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(BitmapSource source, ColorContext sourceColorContext, ColorContext destinationColorContext, PixelFormat format)&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.EndInit()&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.ArtworkDataEventSink.GenerateEventArgs(SCIArtworkData sender)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventWrapper`2.OnEvent(TSender sender, EventHandler`1 handler)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventWrapper`2.add_Event(EventHandler`1 value)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.AbstractArtItem.Initialize(ArtworkDataEventSink artworkData, ImageSource initialArtwork, SCAlbumArtType artType, String artUrl)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.BrowseArtItem.Initialize(ArtworkDataEventSink artworkData, ImageSource placeholderArtwork, String trackNumber, Boolean holdSpace, Boolean useSmallerSize, SCAlbumArtType artType, String artUrl)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.ArtworkFinder.GetBrowseArtItem(ArtworkDataEventSink artworkData, ImageSource placeholderArtwork, String trackNumber, Boolean holdSpace, Boolean useSmallerSize, SCAlbumArtType artType, String artUrl)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.ArtworkFinder.GenerateBrowseArtItem(FrameworkElement resourceFinder, String url, SCAlbumArtType artType, SCLogoArtSize logoSize, Boolean isInfoView)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.SearchProvider..ctor(SCISearchable searchProvider, FrameworkElement artworkFinder)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.SearchViewModel.SearchProvidersChanged_Event(Object sender, HouseholdSearchProviderEventArgs e)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventWrapper`2.OnEvent(TSender sender)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventSink`1.dispatchEvent(SCIObj pSender, String sEventID)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.SCIEventSinkSwigBase.SwigDirectordispatchEvent(IntPtr pSender, String sEventID)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.sclibPINVOKE.SCILibrary_SCLibUIThreadCallback(HandleRef jarg1)&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.SCILibrary.SCLibUIThreadCallback()&#xD;&#xA;   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.LibraryManager.&lt;CallUIThread&gt;b__c()&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)&#xD;&#xA;   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object

Badge

@Tim E Thanks. I cannot claim to make out much of the stack trace. But I do notice what seems to suggest some album art bitmap may be the cause of the issue. This stack trace may mean more to a Sonos tech support. I shall check around for Windows bitmap processing bugs.

Badge

I must admit when it gets to the Registry I am a little lost.

I do not seem to have the same set up as you have in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols - see my set up below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Interesting, this exactly matches another Windows 2004 crash thread which included a full callstack. The app is crashing trying to decode an image. I wonder why some 2004-updates crash here, and others (like mine) are fine?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Find the newest xml file in C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime and see if there is any clue in there.

Badge

I wonder what changed in 2004 to create this issue.

Also mine crashes as it is trying to populate the app window with data.  But which image is causing this or is it all images on my device?

This is something SONOS needs to debug and solve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I wonder what changed in 2004 to create this issue.

Also mine crashes as it is trying to populate the app window with data.  But which image is causing this or is it all images on my device?

This is something SONOS needs to debug and solve.

Check Windows Update, do you have any .NET Framework updates pending? I do right now actually.

I’m not saying this fixes it, but a bug in .NET introduced in 2004 could cause this.

Badge

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Looking in the XML I see this message.  I am not an XML expert though and just viewing this in wordpad.

/><Execution ProcessName="Sonos" ProcessID="24160" ThreadID="3" /><Channel/><Computer>TIM-HP</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem>Unhandled exception caught at the dispatcher. Dispatcher:</DataItem><DataItem>System.OverflowException: The image data generated an overflow during processing. ---&gt; System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation

Badge

My issues could well have started after the installation of KB565627 or even earlier.  Unfortunately I did not take a note of when S1 stopped working. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello all,

Have you checked the network and firewall settings on whichever computer you are having trouble connecting with?

Badge

Do SONOS support read this or do I need to raise a separate bug report?

Community moderators read this. In order to open a ticket, you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.