The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1582 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I don’t like the new App. The alarm function went away. But the second reason I really hate it is, I go find music I want to play and then it plays in the room displayed at the bottom. So you have to start it there then move it. So how do you choose the room without messing up another rooms music? 

First select the room/group in the rooms screen (which changes the in-focus room) and then choose what music you want to play there. Isn't this conceptually the same approach as the old app, even if the UI has changed?

Userlevel 2

‘We set out to make a more personalized…’ does not ring true.  Sonos speakers are fabulous and do credit to the innovators that brought them to life - even though a degree of technical expertise is required to maintain and use them.  Thinking that one will sit back, relax and play some pleasing music on Sonos is a high-risk attitude because there is a fair chance frustration will follow;  I suspect the mission now is actually to remove personalization (user freedom) and monetise above all-else (maybe coupled with a bemused contempt for customers who find time to listen to music).  Due apologies if I have this wrong but there can be few veteran users who would choose Sonos now from a new start and my signal fear is corporate destruction and obsolescence of a high-cost system.  Customer focus, after all,  is sometimes followed by great revenues.

Userlevel 1

am hating the new app. the fonts and service icons are too big for the screen, the fonts are all the same size so my eye is looking at everything all at once, the organzation is not clear or user friendly, I can’t see all my services at a glance, changing room speakers isn’t clear - literally every member of my family has spontaneously complained about the upgrade. why don’t companies do userbility testing before trying to reinvent the wheel?

All the above and were is truplay for Android? This must be amongst the worst app update ever. It must have been obvious for the developers what they released. A slap in the face in millions of users.

Userlevel 2

Can we go back to the old app please? This one obviously isn’t ready and no-one likes it. Can you give us the option to go back? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Keith N That’s great to hear, but what about rest of the issues, that are mentioned in this and other topics?

Userlevel 3

21st May!!  Just roll back until significant issues fixed then go again.  Is it really worth pissing off all your customers this much!!

Just roll back!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I guess what I don’t understand is how you can focus on things like “performance, and faster access to music” when the initial rollout won’t even let me access my own music stored on my NAS?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Too damn right you fell short and it was indeed courageous, a courageous act of self-sabotage. What were you thinking? Why wasn't the app properly tested by members of your beta program? The first instance I can recall where a company has willingly removed KEY FEATURES from their app.

Userlevel 1

What a mess!

I dislike this “New Sonos App”: too faulty (volume control unresponsive, app disconnected while playing, searching in my NAS music library ineffective, bye-bye alarms and who knows what else...) and UI not so intuitive as the project seemed to promise.

IMHO, a big step back for the Sonos user.

Please, bring us back the previous version, at least until you have fixed most of the current problems.

Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Is it opening time in California yet? I'm expecting an announcement!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Really sad. The app is too broken, am going to Bluetooth music for now. Not buying any new Sonos products until I can be confident the company isn't broken too. 

Me too

Userlevel 1

Rollback and deploy when you’ve fixed all the issues. We can wait. And say sorry! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What about Trueplay settings which seem to have vanished from the app on Android, even though I had borrowed an iphone to get it set up?

Tbh, I have given up on the updated app and reinstalled the old version on my phone which I would recommend to anybody else to do!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The truth?

SONOS hates customers … any suggestions to a better system I can switch to?

And I have a SONOS system for sale … it’s cheap!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What about Trueplay settings which seem to have vanished from the app on Android, even though I had borrowed an iphone to get it set up?

Tbh, I have given up on the updated app and reinstalled the old version on my phone which I would recommend to anybody else to do!

Where did you find the old app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I had it downloaded on my phone prior to the update but think it can be found at apkmirror.com

Userlevel 3

This update has been a disaster.  You’ve got many pissed-off customers who are now actively looking around to see what other products are available to replace their SONOS ones.  You should just roll back until you can fix the issues you’ve created.  I don’t want to spend the next month without listening to my music! 

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

• Screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding and editing alarms: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June 
  • Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June

Once these updates are done I can hopefully re-install the new version on my Android device. For the moment I returned to the previous version because most of the time I stream from my local library Synology NAS 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Please provide an update on when the CBC service will work on the new app. It has been broken since release day, although it works just fine on older versions of the app, the web interface and third-party Sonos controller apps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had it downloaded on my phone prior to the update but think it can be found at apkmirror.com

THANKS!!! You have saved not only my day … but my Sonos system.
I am very very grateful … and happy!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

THANKS!!! You have saved not only my day … but my Sonos system.
I am very very grateful … and happy!

Don't forget to disable auto updates on your phone

I struggle to understand why you have updated the Android app when you know that functionality is missing. If it only going to take just over a month to have the missing functionality added. Why not wait until the app is complete before releasing it.

I unfortunately had “Update Automatically” enabled on two mobile devices, the first I knew of the problems were not being able to set a sleep timer and not being able to access my music library. Obviously no more auto update for me.

I am not visually impaired and was not aware of this feature. However if “Screen reader for visually impaired customers” was in the previous version then this show a callous disregard for people who have a visual impairment

Of course I am taking your update timeline as something set in rock, I’ll believe it when it happens but I can only say releasing this app and pushing it out on auto update has been a very disappointing experience

Userlevel 3
Badge

Why would you launch a huge update and then give notice of “planned” revisions to fix what worked a week ago.  There are a multitude of options to stream music on line like Spotify and Pandora and others (Alexa, Smart TV’s, Phones, Laptops, etc) but not for playing from your music library.  Especially for us early adopters that have spent so much money.  I purchased Sonos exclusively for the purpose of playing my own music library.  I get you are trying to be the Roku of music streaming but why take out functionality and ignore so many of your users.  Why rush an update too early when you already have a working product.  My Sonos is unusable. My playlists and cover art is gone. Everytime I open the app it says “Something went wrong” and it’s the update. Adding music to to Queue, Playlists. How could you take away a function at the core of what this device is supposed to do. Talk about going backwards, I can only play one album at a time and have to manually select it like it was the 80’s and I only had CD’s?  Just why? I don’t see anybody else mentioning but the volume control has a different resolution where you have to press so many more times to get a small adjustment.  Also, the volume pop up was helpful. That’s gone too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

After reading numerous discussions about the disastrous update and the obvious lack of concrete, useful responses from Sonos I have realized that Sonos does not care about its customers, their opinions, or their needs.