The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1621 replies

Userlevel 1

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• Adding and editing alarms
  • VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen.

Coming soon

• Additional improvements to screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June

Reply : Falling short with this new app is an understatement. The fact that this whole system operates via app and that the app barely works with the new version is a huge problem. Like many, the volume control is super delayed, never have I had it work this poorly in the 7yrs I’ve had Sonos. Changing and loading new content is almost impossible at times. Can’t see the real time content as it’s so delayed. My Sonos system is turned off as it is hardly usable. Sonos needs to publicly acknowledge these major issues and provide  an update on them. Also can’t get ahold of anyone in customer support as they are so backed up. 
focus on the Core issues here and get the app working properly. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Glad to see you’ve given some dates for the restoration of the much loved features.

I think it a mistake that you couldn’t have explained all this to us before the release of the new app.

If there were technical or commercial reasons why this update needed releasing when it was and there weren’t time to include all planned features - but they were in the pipeline, I think most people would have understood.

Userlevel 2

OMG - you can’t even edit the queue or playlists or create playlists. What on Earth have you done to the best music listening experience ? Ruined it. 
after 15 years of championing your devices to everyone, you have undone all that good work in one lousy update. Even your website shows adding songs to the queue and playlists but this is not currently available. Can we sue you for false advertising ?

I expect answers. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You wrote that adding and editing alarms are available now in a post of 3 days ago.

I can find no such adding and editing functions in the app and no further update available via the Apple App Store (UK region).

What am I missing?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

You wrote that adding and editing alarms are available now in a post of 3 days ago.

I can find no such adding and editing functions in the app and no further update available via the Apple App Store (UK region).

What am I missing?

I think that first post has been edited recently (maybe today).

Alarms are now available in my app (Android) after doing the following. 1) Updated app to 13 May version; 2) Then updated system to latest version. I now have alarms in settings > manage > alarms. Updating app was not enough. I had to update system before alarms came back.

With this latest update my system still doesn’t work properly and I can’t change any of my system settings because the app keeps freezing up on me. My arc, beam, ones and mini sub are no longer showing up as part of my system and somehow with this latest update my arc is no longer syncing with my ones as surrounds & the only audio is coming from the arc or beam no matter what I adjust

I’ve tried installing & reinstalling the app a couple of times, reset my system a couple of times and turned my phone on/off and nothing works with this latest update and like others I’m beyond frustrated with how Sonos is handling this 

Userlevel 2

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app.

You failed. Miserably. 

Sonos really needs to take drastic action to fix this for its users now. We are not your testing team for your incomplete release, we are your customers. Listen to the feedback you are getting and offer the original app as an alternative solution for those of us that this new version isn’t working for. 

I totally appreciate your desire to innovate and improve but in doing so you also have to be willing to acknowledge when you make a mistake. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Any plans to implement the editing of queues when using song radio on YouTube Music? Presumably this issue exists for other services too

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The sound from line in has nearly disappeared, even if I set it to 100 it’s barely audible. This has happened over the last 24 hours, presume it’s yet another bug ? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• VoiceOver on iOS now properly interacts with individual elements of the Sonos app's home screen.

Where is located the alarm? I ddin`t find in the Android release

It is evident the new version of the app is incomplete and that many features present in the previous version will not be available for another month, why don't you allow users to reinstall the previous version and let people update when they feel comfortable with the new version?.

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

Coming soon

• Additional improvements to screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June

So why wasn’t the app released at the end of june when all this was done?? i will not be updating anything until i know what all this is done and working properly

apologies are severally needed

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I am confused. I thought this was going to be a q&a event we could join, ask questions and hear answers?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What has happened to Trueplay settings on the Android app?

Why does my Sub not display any of its settings?

Why can I only add one song at a time?

Why did I sign up for this event?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Available now

Where is located the alarm? I ddin`t find in the Android release

I found it. You have to update the APP and the Sonos system

Userlevel 2

Music Sources and added music services are broken.  I have sources that are now “greyed-out” and not playable in the iOS app but work fine in the MacOs app.

Please allow me to roll back to the prior version while you address these issues. 

Userlevel 4

Great. I will wait at least until July before I even consider upgrading to the new app.

Oh, and where's the Android widget? I used thay widget EVERY day, and now it's gone in the new app.

Thank goodness I was able to roll back to the previous app.

Userlevel 1

guys…. the only answer right now is to    1. Delete the current app.   2. read up on installing Sonos app 16.1 (the previous S2 one) on apkmirror.com for Android   3.  Enter Airplane mode to cut off 5G and Wifi.  4. DISABLE auto updates in the Play store for the app itself    5.  exit airplane mode

not sure what Apple users have to do

Userlevel 1

I understand being annoyed at a botched release but this is ridiculous. Sack up people. It’s software and hardware and human beings making things. Something got screwed up and they’ll fix it. Go touch some grass, jfc. Your sound system should not be the center of your life. IT WILL ALL BE OK I PROMISE. 

We are using Sonos in a Professional Environment / Business, so we have disabled Automatic Updates.

And we have a Test Lab at Home - plenty of issues with the new Version 80.x compared to 16.x

Userlevel 4

guys…. the only answer right now is to    1. Delete the current app.   2. read up on installing Sonos app 16.1 (the previous S2 one) on apkmirror.com for Android   3.  Enter Airplane mode to cut off 5G and Wifi.  4. DISABLE auto updates in the Play store for the app itself    5.  exit airplane mode

not sure what Apple users have to do

Don't forget to disable Automatic Updates in your SONOS system too. You don't want your speakers to update to a new firmware and have the old app unable to communicate with your speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Looks like the app update to 80.00.08 and firmware to 16.2 has resolved the alarm issues for me. My alarms were not working at all, even if I used the Windows app. However, my Sonos system has not adjusted to British Summer Time so is an hour out!

So I’ve just had to re-add all my alarms (as the update removed them) and set them for an hour early.

I can’t find a way to adjust the timezone. I checked the time Sonos was using by asking ‘Hey Sonos what time is it’. 

Userlevel 2

OMG I hate this app update.  It just took me ten minutes to figure out where the system update was located.

I have a lot of Sonos speakers and currently I will not buy another Sono’s product due to this disaster.

Brian

I can help you..

Run...Run away from Sonos.

I allowed the SONOS update.

It completely destroyed a functioning system.  My wife and I lost two hours of remote work due to it jamming my router and mesh with somehow...per Astound..

I have rebooted, reinstalled, reiniated the software/app and set up over 10 times to no avail. I have lost my Sub and the full function of the Beam.

The wait on the Sonos “support” line is over two hours. 

I You cannot email them...the chat is closed.

It was a perfect system prior to that. 

What do you do with $1700 worth of unusable electronics.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The new app crashes on load on Android on a Chromebook, and unlike on phones I can’t roll back. Can you fix it please?

Userlevel 1

There are very few (if any) positive comments to your new app. I suggest that you roll back to the old not-so-well-working version instead of using the one that you released to the public on may thr 7th, which apperantly is a proof of very low competence in the field of consumer software.

Remember that most of the people here (including myself), explaining their frustration over the new app, have paid hundreds of dollars/euros/kronor and we expect more of you than this.