The Hot Mess of this Community Forum for Feature Feedback/Request/Voting

• 15 January 2018
  • 39 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Unfortunately, public voting on features is easily gamed. We've seen this on the old boards when a Windows Phone app request was leading the pack with thousands of votes when Windows Mobile had about 2% of the market. Turns out Windows Mobile enthusiasts who wouldn't know Sonos from sonar were registering and voting due to a call to arms. Same thing happened on the other forum with a poll on Hires audio support. Hundreds of register, vote once, and done accounts that sought to game the poll. Sonos is smarter than that.

As to little to no feedback? That's their policy. People have been complaining about it for years, with similar prophetic predictions of doom if they don't publish their internal roadmap So far, the predictions have been quite inaccurate.

You misread my post - I said nothing of "public voting". In fact, I specifically called out above a means to make it tied to ownership (which they know in your profile). That would be a reasonable weeding, but by no means complete. But as it sits, you (and me, and Chris, Kumar, etc) short of staging a revolt here get 3ms worth of airtime to keep a feature (not just my goofy alarm request) afloat long enough to get any traction.

Chris got what I'm saying. As for dire consequences, I'm not predicting any. I'm predicting they will lose market share if they don't innovate; sometimes it comes from within, sometimes from outside. I've been doing tech work for over a quarter century, and I personally like doing business with those that don't treat me like a peon to be hurded or spat upon. Those that have taken feedback well have traditionally done better and are still around. Transparency (as much as their pretentious, closed-off ecosystem can stomach), is a *good* thing.

I also want to see what others are requesting AND WHY... That's a huge point. I have very good friends that have been doing high end home theater (Crestron, etc) for years and they want different things out of a Sonos than I do. We have good philosophical discussions over lunch/dinner around who needs what and why on different items (Sonos coming up occasionally). I wouldn't mind knowing if they (the participant) are an end user, integrator, sales channel, etc. too. It helps me understand their angle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea - short of call or email to open a support ticket...there is not easy way to document feedback other than posts here (which can get lost in the shuffle).

I started the poll as a way to send feedback on requests to sonos. Problem is with this forum - once I started the pole I have no way of going back and changing it (so I couldn't make it a very dynamic poll as far as user input). You also after a short period can't go back and change a post - so not way to update the first post with updates.

If a Sonos person would maintain it - with ideas and showing (under consideration) (planned) etc. and sticky post to the ideas category that would be good. They mentioned once they thought about it.

The other issue really becomes - this is a Sonos forum and there are no customer moderators. As users we are limited on how we can provide information to other users therefore within the limits of the Sonos moderators.

A user subcategory would be nice with customer moderators. Don't see it happening though. What would be cool would be something like a CLUB SONOS category that was user moderated and could therefore control some of the trolling that goes on or hateful rhetoric that really doesn't belong in the support forum side (which takes away from others trying to get help).
Unfortunately, public voting on features is easily gamed. We've seen this on the old boards when a Windows Phone app request was leading the pack with thousands of votes when Windows Mobile had about 2% of the market. Turns out Windows Mobile enthusiasts who wouldn't know Sonos from sonar were registering and voting due to a call to arms. Same thing happened on the other forum with a poll on Hires audio support. Hundreds of register, vote once, and done accounts that sought to game the poll. Sonos is smarter than that.

As to little to no feedback? That's their policy. People have been complaining about it for years, with similar prophetic predictions of doom if they don't publish their internal roadmap So far, the predictions have been quite inaccurate.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The old Sonos forum had more of an idea thread to it. Actual items could be marked as either "In Consideration" or "Planned". When they went to the new format here, I guess over a year ago, all of that was lost. So yea I did start that thread. I know there needs to be a good way to express group ideas (there just really isn't a good way on this boards format).

Hence the reason for this post - glad to know I'm not the only one that's noticed that. Thanks for the history on the board system.

...It really comes down to submitting something here and they will see it and pass stuff along...but the development team really has its own agenda which I think is more marketing and upper management based. They do listen to feedback and we get a few bones here and there. It's more a a Sonos philosophy then not listening .... their philosophy is that whenever you interact with Sonos, whether at home, office, friends etc., that you should get the same exact experience. It's why they frown on customizations that people clamor for. It's why they don't like multiple versions of the app out in the wild. They have been softening that a little bit I guess in past 6-8 months. But they still aren't really allowing any customizations.

Sorry you didn't have good experience with a problem. Sometimes there are so many posts here peoples stuff gets lost in the shuffle and Sonos doesn't always pick up on threads they should.

Honestly - the best real support method for Sonos is calling them on the phone. Its the best method to get good attention on a subject vs. days of back and forth on a board like this. Of course there are a lot of knowledgable users here that can point people in the right direction but don't always have the tools Sonos has (like looking at diagnostics) to determine the issue.

I think you've conflated my issue with their lack of support and the topic at hand. Yes, I just need to give them a call for the problem (it was a complete waste of time on the email/submit path). I appreciate you, jgatie and others trying to help but don't you ever get the feeling they just are pissing on their user base without a mechanism for feedback? I understand being "tight lipped", but that is a sword that cuts both ways. If I can't see a manufacturer listening to a customer and actively doing something for the customer, then I take my money to those that do. It's simple market dynamics. I know, I know - marketing people think they "know better". Fine, they can put it on something like I suggest with ProductBoard and see how it fairs to non-groupthink fisking in the wild. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The old Sonos forum had more of an idea thread to it. Actual items could be marked as either "In Consideration" or "Planned". When they went to the new format here, I guess over a year ago, all of that was lost. So yea I did start that thread. I know there needs to be a good way to express group ideas (there just really isn't a good way on this boards format).

The old board was actually two boards. There was the support boad (which had those indicators) and there was the forum (which was more of the advanced user discussion board). It was actually nice having the separation from users needing help and more enthusiast discussion.

Sonos is always so tight lipped when it comes to future development, even the old method wasn't of much use.

It really comes down to submitting something here and they will see it and pass stuff along...but the development team really has its own agenda which I think is more marketing and upper management based. They do listen to feedback and we get a few bones here and there. It's more a a Sonos philosophy then not listening .... their philosophy is that whenever you interact with Sonos, whether at home, office, friends etc., that you should get the same exact experience. It's why they frown on customizations that people clamor for. It's why they don't like multiple versions of the app out in the wild. They have been softening that a little bit I guess in past 6-8 months. But they still aren't really allowing any customizations.

Sorry you didn't have good experience with a problem. Sometimes there are so many posts here peoples stuff gets lost in the shuffle and Sonos doesn't always pick up on threads they should.

Honestly - the best real support method for Sonos is calling them on the phone. Its the best method to get good attention on a subject vs. days of back and forth on a board like this. Of course there are a lot of knowledgable users here that can point people in the right direction but don't always have the tools Sonos has (like looking at diagnostics) to determine the issue.