Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Badge +1
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
I feel just like you. Maybe the owner just got too rich and doesn't care anymore how the customers feel.
Badge +1
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
I feel just like you. Maybe the owner just got too rich and doesn't care anymore how the customers feel.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Plus support for Amazon Alexa next year:
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/amazon-alexa-coming-to-sonos-music-systems/
Userlevel 1
I think that we are over reacting. Sonos is a quality product, that is meant to be an open platform and not an exclusive Spotify product. Spotify is an aggressive company, look at the way the want to force you to use Facebook. Sonos doesn't force us to do anything. Second I think that the main reason for the outages we have had in the past, are mainly caused by the way Spotify communicates and plans technical modifications to their streaming services. The lack of communication between the two companies causes that Sonos is always one step behind. And what do we do? We blame Sonos, while it is at least the responsibility of both companies to keep the system running. Third, Spotify is relative expensive, compare it to Netflix. So if Sonos starts cooperating with Google, to develop a new universal standard for streaming music, compatible with current products, than I would prefer that in the long term above Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
more info from spotify
https://news.spotify.com/us/2016/08/30/spotify-partners-with-sonos-to-unveil-new-era-of-connected-home-listening/
who cares who is right or wrong? That sucks that spotify doesn't work with Sonos. Personally, I do think Sonos is expensive and has a lousy app. For what I know, it is Sonos who doesn't want to work with Spotify. If you don't like Spotify, fine. But Spotify is awesome to me.
By the way, I thing Google is the most agressive company in the world. And to write this comment, I was ask for my facebook account. Who is kidding who?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
what confuses me is how this will work if you want to have different music in different rooms. this is currently possible in the sonos app but not spotify connect (I have a couple of spotify connect devices). I wonder if something will change in spotify in future where you can select a room and choose what is playing then select another ? Presumably the spotify integration will remain in the sonos app so what happens if you start doing things in both apps ?! What about the current restriction of not being able to play on sonos and the spotify app simultaneously ? Presumably that have to be removed ?

much to be clarified !
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Its the last weekend before xmas and I need more speakers. I already have 3 Sonos products and I want to buy a soundbar, sub and upto 4 more speakers.

Please provide us an update... even if its just "No, we will not support Spotify Connect"

I can then make a decision on what brand to purchase.

Please.

Thanks
Eric...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

With the latest version of the Sonos software we've added the ability to control your Sonos system directly from the Spotify app. You can read more about this new feature here.
I have several friends talking about buying Sonos. I was the first one to to so and bought a Sonos system. But not beeing able to use Spotify the way I need (i would prefer using the Spotify app), I can't recommend the product. We have several spotify accounts, and only one can be used, and the sonosapp for spotify limits me and my family from enjoying the use. I am sad that Sonos prevents us form listening to music, rather than supporting us. Please add support for multiple accounts and the use of the spotify app. PS: I have read about an unofficial way of adding several spotifyaccounts. But I do not want to try this in case i damage the Sonos product. But does this mean it is possible?
I must say I agree with Martin
I have just purchased a Sonos Play 1, Connect and Bridge for our house after much consideration
My wife and I have different Spotify accounts - can we add these separately to Sonos?
Also, I love the Spotify radio application - Sonos does not allow this. When will this happen as it will definitely add to the experience.
At this stage a number of my friends are backing off from investing in Sonos for these reasons
If these issues are rectified I'm sure they will invest in your excellent product
Happy new year!!Cheers
Sonos and Spotify are booth usefull Systems which till now aimed the customers needs. The current development of both systems without cooperating forces me to decide against one of them.

The current Spotify-integration in Sonos is not state of the art. The advantage of spotify against other music streming services for me are the comfortable ways of discovering new music. A workaround with an additional wifi based device attached to a line-in does not satisfy me. Therefore now I am evaluating other music services and other devices. One of them is going to loose me as their customer.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Try putting SONOS into Google news today...

Panasonic launches Sonos competitor
LG challenges Sonos with new home audio streamers 
Samsung takes aim at Sonos with expanded multi-room audio lineup 
The Secret Sauce Inside Pure's Sonos-Like Internet Music Speakers 

I really hope you Product Marketing team know what they are doing

Starting to look like you will become the next blackberry...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
interesting that Samsungs wireless soundbar incorprates DTS !
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Wow, this is some slack support.
Look at all of these responses without anything from Sonos. The old responses aren't even responses, just repeated company stances without actual substance. I will continue to actively write negative reviews for my Sonos products anywhere I can online and reach out to tech review sites.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Look at all of these responses without anything from Sonos. The old responses aren't even responses, just repeated company stances without actual substance. I will continue to actively write negative reviews for my Sonos products anywhere I can online and reach out to tech review sites.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sometimes I think the ask website here is a way to outsource complaining so companies can ignore it when they want. This is their published email address to Management. Please use it.
ceo@sonos.com

Sonos, I respectfully insist on an update for this. This isn't just a simple request by many of us, but a direct misrepresentation by Sonos. A timeline for your resolution or a true technical reason why this isn't possible should be provided. I invested a good deal of money in my Sonos system and until we receive that update, I will be reaching out to every tech review site through multiple means to explain how Sonos says it's "the best Spotify experience" yet doesn't even meet functional parity. How long has Spotify had Radio? How popular is it? Seriously, your false promises feel like dirty business tactics.

I encourage all to share this thread through social media, by emailing tech review sites like TheVerge, Engadget, Cnet and write reviews on places like Amazon.com or for the Sonos app in the App Store.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sometimes I think the ask website here is a way to outsource complaining so companies can ignore it when they want. This is their published email address to Management. Please use it.
ceo@sonos.com

Sonos, I respectfully insist on an update for this. This isn't just a simple request by many of us, but a direct misrepresentation by Sonos. A timeline for your resolution or a true technical reason why this isn't possible should be provided. I invested a good deal of money in my Sonos system and until we receive that update, I will be reaching out to every tech review site through multiple means to explain how Sonos says it's "the best Spotify experience" yet doesn't even meet functional parity. How long has Spotify had Radio? How popular is it? Seriously, your false promises feel like dirty business tactics.

I encourage all to share this thread through social media, by emailing tech review sites like TheVerge, Engadget, Cnet and write reviews on places like Amazon.com or for the Sonos app in the App Store.
I've been following this thread for a while... and i can't express how disappointed I am regarding this issue. Specially for the lack of response from the SONOS team. I thought I bought a premium quality product from a respectable company, not from a Chinese phantom company that doesn't answer any questions or gives support to it's users. If you guys are not going to implement spotify connect, just SAY it. We the customers, will take care of the rest. Thanks. 
Badge +18
Alex,

We understand where you're coming from and we hear your point of view.  

Sonos is committed to our partnership with Spotify.  We love Spotify and we haven't stopped improving the Spotify experience on Sonos.  As a recent example, in October of last year we added the ability to Star Spotify tracks direct from a Sonos Controller.

We have no plans to support Spotify Connect at this time, both parties have been upfront about this decision since the initial Spotify Connect announcement last year.  We have not published the details of this decision for our own internal reasons (which I will also not get into).

You're welcome to share your opinion here and wherever else you wish, as well as to examine other options if that's what you'd like to do.

Thanks,

John
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
John, what a let down. It really sounds to me that you/Sonos feels you are too big to fail?

I find it hard to believe that Sonos will be able to pull anything from their hat to match or over go Spotify Connect. If a rabbit is being born, it might be a good idea to spill the beans early before users start to slip away - both existing and potential new ones.

I have 10 devices and 1 controller. Been promoting Sonos for many years and been reason for many additional purchases among friends and family.

I will strongly consider looking to the competition which are nearing in these last few months.

I mostly use Spotify and some Tune-in.

I miss Spotify Radio and I miss being able to control my speakers from the far superior app that Spotify have created and constantly improve.

Instead of trying to only keep your own controller software in the market, why not either implement Spotify Connect or push your Play on Sonos feature to the streaming services like Spotify, Wimp, Tune-in etc. Actually I'd prefer the last one over Spotify Connect only as it would give similar features in different apps and also the ability to control the zones which as I understand, would not be possible with Spotify Connect.

Please stop the bullshit and come clean so that we have proper information to go into 2014 with.

Thank you in advance,
A long time customer, friend, supporter and marketer.
Userlevel 1
It always baffles me why companies spontaneously decide to self-combust via bad customer service. We are witnessing such a moment. The "internal reason" is probably, well, internal: the Sonos software is VP Engineering's pet project (or worse yet, the CEO's pride) and no matter how detrimental or dysfunctional, it will be the one and only answer and you, people that spent thousands on this system, go take a hike.

However, this is not John's (the customer representative's) fault. Venting at him is useless. If we want any impact, the only way to get it is to target the company's board (KKR, Index Ventures etc) - the only people that actually can effect change where internal egos are involved. Find their emails, point them to this discussion, and tell them how you find the company's attitude demeaning and will actively report your Sonos experience to the press.
I am happy to see more people reacting to this thread. I hope SONOS will reply and give us a status.
################################################# EFFECTIVE WAY TO RAISE YOUR VOICE: Write to ceo@sonos.com -> this is a redirect to Johns mailbox. And believe it or not, I wrote him months ago on this, I can see on tracking pixel that he has read the email. Though no reply but he is aware on the issue. So please do as I have done and right that incredible powerful guy all your thoughts, feelings, fears and open opinion. ---->>>> Be smart and use this chance. I am currently watching out at the CES for a system to take over the role of my osbsolote sonos hardware. #################################################