Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

I just got my first Sonos product, because I was impressed with what I saw in the store. Spotify Connect would make the system infinitely better though, so I'm starting to get cold feet. Maybe I made a mistake getting a Sonos Connect instead of something that supports Spotify Connect.
It's ridiculous that this hasn't been added in. I'm thinking it's more to do with being a hardware issue which is why it isn't enabled. Maybe the 2nd gen speakers will have this feature? I bought the Denon HEOS range because it has Spotify Connect and will continue to purchase the HEOS bar and speakers due to their openness.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've noticed recently that the Spotify App on my iPhone "sees" my Sonos-Connect as a Spotify-Connect destination. It cannot successfully connect, but it makes me wonder if there is some development underway to support.
I'm confused here. I got this reply from Spotify when I tried to point out their listing of Sonos as supporting Spotify Connect was incorrect:

"We do support Sonos devices with our Spotify Connect feature. However, we're having some trouble with the Connect feature at the moment.

What we suggest is that you reinstall your Spotify app on the device you're using to access your Sonos Device. For a guide on how to get that done on different devices and platforms, please click here .

If you're still having concerns with the Connect feature after reinstalling your app, can you send us a screenshot of the error you're seeing so we can take a closer look ourselves?"

I'm no longer in the location where I was trying to get Connect working - but it seems to me that Spotify say that Connect works on Sonos. Is it categorically the case that this isn't true?
http://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-earnings-q4-2014/

CEO Dick Costolo, facing pressure to rapidly grow the social network, reports Twitter's third straight quarter of profit. Even though growth of monthly active users failed to impress, the stock soars.

So much for Twitter not making a profit. Plus, Twitter doesn't have the artists it depends on for content sueing them for $150 million for non-payment of royalties. Nor does Twitter have Google and Apple in direct competition. Fact is, Spotify is on borrowed time.
Sonos long ago made the decision to be service neutral, and to use the Sonos API as much as possible instead of proprietary service interfaces. There have been exceptions, Spotify being one, but they have refused to go so far as to license their hardware to a particular service provider, which is what Spotify Connect requires. This is mostly due to Sonos early on wasting valuable development time on services which are no longer around.

As to Spotify growing, growth means nothing without profit. They will never be successful until they are in the black, and until then, they are living on borrowed time like every service before them.

Twitter is yet to make a profit, and is in no danger of going under. None of this would be an issue, if Sonos would build a decent controller, the sad truth is it's clunky and outdated. You can't even search for a song on spotify by Artist AND track. Come on!
Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! :@

Because it has no future? Spotify can cast to Chromecast Audio. Get one, plug into Sonos aux in. Done.

Not all Sonos have an aux in
Sonos long ago made the decision to be service neutral, and to use the Sonos API as much as possible instead of proprietary service interfaces. There have been exceptions, Spotify being one, but they have refused to go so far as to license their hardware to a particular service provider, which is what Spotify Connect requires. This is mostly due to Sonos early on wasting valuable development time on services which are no longer around.

As to Spotify growing, growth means nothing without profit. They will never be successful until they are in the black, and until then, they are living on borrowed time like every service before them.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm pretty sure the poster meant Spotify has no future. The venture capitalists aren't going to forever support a business that is losing millions of dollars a month. There is simply no way to monetize the streaming industry, especially now that Google and Apple, with their unlimited funds, have entered the fray.
I misunderstood that then if that is what they meant - I now see their other post further up. I'm not entirely sure I buy that it'll be gone in the near future. Yes they are losing money, but they have been growing steadily. Apple could definitely slow down that growth, but I wouldn't call it a done deal. I, for one, hope that Spotify continues to grow and coexists with Apple's and Google's services as it is my favorite service of the bunch.

Either way, I don't think Sonos' decision to not support Spotify Connect has anything to do about the future of Spotify.
I'm pretty sure the poster meant Spotify has no future. The venture capitalists aren't going to forever support a business that is losing millions of dollars a month. There is simply no way to monetize the streaming industry, especially now that Google and Apple, with their unlimited funds, have entered the fray.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! :@

Because it has no future? Spotify can cast to Chromecast Audio. Get one, plug into Sonos aux in. Done.

How does it have no future? Spotify Connect isn't just about playing to hardware, it is a solution where you can hand off playback from device to device. So you can play on your phone, switch to the desktop player, switch to an Android tablet, etc, etc. Rdio had something similar, Spotify just went further and expanded it to hardware as well. It isn't like Spotify didn't have any hardware partners either, it is on pretty much everything except Sonos. Sure, you can use a Chromecast Audio right now, but using aux on Sonos can be rather clunky as you can't just choose which zone you want.

Really what we need now is for Sonos to support Google Cast, so a whole host of apps will automatically gain support, but who knows when or if that will ever happen.

This could be an option, but the problem is that the Sonos CONNECT doesn't have a digital input. I don't want to use the internal Chromecast Audio DAC.
I am considering buying Sonos, but have experienced the Spotify integration at a friends (which consisted of a poor user interface and intermittent but frequent timeouts when playing a playlist etc). However, if I go to Spotify's connect info page (https://www.spotify.com/uk/connect/) it gives a link to Spotify Gear that says "These devices come with Spotify Connect built right in":

This goes to http://spotifygear.com/ and has Sonos in the list. So I conclude that Sonos must have Spotify Connect and I just haven't worked out how to enable it / isn't on all products or software versions???

Be great to have some clarity on this from Spotify / Sonos.

If they don't have it - does anyone have experience of other multi speaker/platform music systems that do (ideally with a UI/controller that has better UX).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly

Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! 😠
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.

I have just bought my first sonos product - the playbar.
After 24 hours I'm now gonna return it due to one single issue: the crappy sonos player.
Being used to the spotify app (or any other decent music player) and spotify connect it's like taking a leap 20 years back in time - even the first version of winamp was better. I had high expectations, but now I'm just dissapointed and confused - how can Sonos with their pretty hefty price tags not have spotify connect integration? Also, not listening to the community shows that Sonos just simply don't care what their users think.
Even the most simple streaming product today has real spotify integration...

Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why does it say built for Spotify (a proprietary service). How about add chromecast audio instead of a system devoted to a single service.
Another vote for Spotify Connect support with Sonos systems. The sonos app is a great all rounder but my whole music library uses Spotify and I find Spotify's user interface and queuing system much better than Sonos's. For the high asking price for Sonos systems I would expect this feature to be implemented.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Focused solely on Spotify. Bad move.
Userlevel 1
No support for Spotify Connect? Way wrong move Sonos. Returning my Christmas Sonos Speakers this weekend.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes having your investment revolve around Spotify can't be good long term. Flexibility (like Sonos offers) is the only way. Of course that doesn't mean flexibility in addition of chromecast audio wouldn't be welcome to replace something like Spotify connect. But chromecast audio pretty much is Spotify connect for multiple services. So I wouldn't invest in something with Spotify and not chromecast.
Aside from Amazon, whose business model is "reinvestment instead of profits" not "lose money to eventually make money", there's never been a company that loses money every year and survives. Eventually the venture capital dries up and the company is sold for scraps. Spotify will be the Pets.com of the 2010s.
Am I the only one who thinks Spotify won't exist in 5 years? They are still losing money every year, with no relief in sight. They've had to reluctantly add support for Google Cast Audio, which directly competes wit their own Connect. Other providers with very deep products have services that are every bit as good, and getting better with every update. They had a "cool" factor years ago that has worn off for most, IMO. The trendsetters are starting to abandon them, having seen the writing on the wall: http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/22/my-angsty-spotify-breakup-letter/
I'm selling all my sonos products because of the lack of support for spotify connect. It is a dealbreaker and I will not recommend the system to others until sonos addresses this.

With all the negative feedback due to this single customer request, it is really sad that Sonos has not already added this.