Answered

Support for SMB v2 or v3

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

110 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I put my insecure stuff on a dedicated LAN segment that is blocked from communicating with the rest of my stuff on other, more trusted segments. It isn't a solution but at least it limits any problems as much as possible.
I did something similar by putting my Sonos content on a disposable hard drive attached to an Apple Airport. For the meagre NAS bandwidth requirements of a Sonos, this solution is adequate. That way, I can keep the minimum connection requirements for the main server at SMB3. As the music share on the main server is updated, I simply clone the Airport drive to match.

I don't expect a major shift in the industry until ransomware broadly infects SOHO sites. Why Sonos is putting off the inevitable is a mystery to me, however. Updating the ZP network stack with more recent versions of readily-available SMB libraries should be trivial compared to the work that went into developing their innovative mesh networking strategy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Reality is, as long as you've kept your computers patched, the fix was released two months ago for operating systems still supported by Microsoft. But that still doesn't mean that SMBv1 should be used when there are better, more secure options available in the form of newer versions of SMB.

Keep in mind that US-CERT is recommending not using SMBv1 as part of its SMB Best Practices... so I think it's pretty important to move on to a newer, more secure version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As far as I'm aware there have been very few if no reports of domestic infection from the WannaCry ransomware.

So, I don't want to cry (wolf).
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Just disabled SMB2 in our network and moved the library to a Linux box instead.
A shame that SONOS still doesn't support SMB2. Last time I looked in the calendar it was 2017.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I put my insecure stuff on a dedicated LAN segment that is blocked from communicating with the rest of my stuff on other, more trusted segments. It isn't a solution but at least it limits any problems as much as possible.
Userlevel 3
The problem is that as long as companies produce products that rely on old out of date software other companies have to continue to support them to remain relevant in the market, it's a vicious cycle.
Userlevel 1
Ya with you guys. I shut off SMBv1 on everything internally including my NAS which broke my SONOS music share. I hope it gets resolved soon. I'm not about to enable SMBv1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Here's the link to the previous topic regarding SMBv1. I fully agree that at this point it should be removed, but NAS devices still ship with it enabled, and most don't provide any way to turn it off either. I would imagine if most NAS manufacturers started removing support for SMBv1, you'd probably find Sonos moves pretty quickly to update their devices.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-smb-implementation-error-900-when-adding-music-library-6765736