SONOSNET - can't view it from my android device.

• 11 February 2017
  • 60 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

All the Sonos devices in About My Sonos System show WM0, yes?

Sonos Support will need to advise. I'm out of ideas.
Badge
the sonosnet seems to have gone since I swapped my Play 3 being installed to the router. And plugged a bridge into the router.
Badge
I opted to do a full factory reset and then not install any apps.

I then installed only sonos.

Then installed a wifi scanner. (after it stopped working)
What apps did you reinstall, after the tablet reset?
Badge
This is a bit beyond my technical capacity. How do I find out which apps might interfere. I only use the controller for Sonos. (and occasional, very light, web browsing) I will submit diagnostics later but have looked at them and they all say WM:) and cant see any issues there.
The entry in your WiFi list was made by the Sonos controller, in a similar way to you adding a hidden network by name. In both cases the SSID is not actually broadcast, but because the device has been configured for that network it's visible in the list.

As for what's removing the SSID from the list it's rather a mystery. A scanner app would pick it up if it was in the list, but not otherwise.

What apps do you have on the Nexus which could change the network settings?
Badge
When you say "Sonosnet doesn't broadcast an SSID" - it definitely did for an hour on sunday night. I could see it on my WIFI list. It has now suddenly disappeared though and even after I downloaded a WiFI analyser, I still cant see the network !! It's interesting that when I did a complete Android refresh on the controller it came back for a short period of time.
:?:?:?:?:?
It sounds like some other app could be interfering with the WiFi settings. SonosNet doesn't broadcast an SSID. Is these an app which might cause problems because of this?
Badge
Unfortunately, I did the system reset, the sonosnet came back fine. It worked for an hour or so. I then left the android device for a period of time and it did some updates (automatically) when I logged back into sonos - sonosnet had disappeared !! Very frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How's it going Aldrichio? We'd love to take a look at the system if you find this is still happening. Feel free to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and your confirmation number here.
Badge
I can't say I've ever seen Sonosnet in my wifi settings. I just connect to the router with my device and Sonos works.

Yes sonos works when I am in range of my router fine. The issue I have is that I want to connect to the mesh network (sonosnet) as my sonos system extends well beyond my wifi capability.
Badge
I am doing a factory reset of the whole device now and starting again
Badge
Nexus 7 / Android version 6.0.1. Kernel version 3.4.0-gad29d11
I can't say I've ever seen Sonosnet in my wifi settings. I just connect to the router with my device and Sonos works.
This is becoming something of a mystery. I have Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013) and both behave correctly. Is the tablet in its standard configuration, e.g. not rooted?
Badge
Was it showing WM:1? In that case get them all showing WM:0 and go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and remove ('reset') the WiFi details there.

It wasn't showing any details but is definitely now.

I've done what you said but still can't see the sonosnet in the wifi details box. Very frustrating.

I've even gone into wifi advance settings on the android device and changed the settings in there. wifi frequency band is now on automatic. turned off the "let a wifi assistant connect to open networks determined to be higher quality"
When I went to the about system piece I noticed that one of the sonos amps was not showing as WM:0.
Was it showing WM:1? In that case get them all showing WM:0 and go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and remove ('reset') the WiFi details there.

interestingly the controller doesn't show as WM:0 in the about system data. Should it ?

No, just the hardware units.

How do you pin an app please ?
Enable screen pinning in Android Settings/Security. Then when you tap the recent apps (overview) button you should see a drawing pin icon on each running app.

I have an iMac and a iPhone and an iPad also controlling the system. Would this mess things up ?
No.
Badge
I have an iMac and a iPhone and an iPad also controlling the system. Would this mess things up ?
Badge
I only use it for sonos so I have the "target home launcher" app set up so that everytime you turn the android tablet app on it runs sonos application.
I'm not sure why this would make any difference. However I suggest you temporarily disable and remove it. See if running the Sonos app in the usual way and then disabling/enabling SonosNet connection is successful in creating the SSID entry in WiFi settings.

You do know that you can simply pin the Sonos app, which means that the tablet will always show it (until unlocked)?

How do you pin an app please ?
Badge
I have removed both and subsequently uninstalled both apps and then just rr-installed the sonos one. When I went to the about system piece I noticed that one of the sonos amps was not showing as WM:0. I have subsequently reinstalled this and now it does show as WM:0. interestingly the controller doesn't show as WM:0 in the about system data. Should it ?
I only use it for sonos so I have the "target home launcher" app set up so that everytime you turn the android tablet app on it runs sonos application.
I'm not sure why this would make any difference. However I suggest you temporarily disable and remove it. See if running the Sonos app in the usual way and then disabling/enabling SonosNet connection is successful in creating the SSID entry in WiFi settings.

You do know that you can simply pin the Sonos app, which means that the tablet will always show it (until unlocked)?
Badge
"I don't believe I am" - was in reference to the security software question.
Badge
That would make sense as I am in a four storey town house with neighbours in close vicinity.

I don't believe I am.

Thanks

Nick
There is however now a few Vmxxxxx-2G and VM8484443 Numbers - networks attached.
Those sounds like a neighbour, with a Virgin Media router.

Sonos IDs are of the form "Sonos_xxxx" where xxxx is a long string of letters and numbers. On earlier systems the ID is "HHID_xxxx".

Are you running any kind of security software on the Nexus tablet?
Badge
Thanks for this, I've tried all of this and then gone into wifi and refreshed it (on the android device) and there is still no sign of anything sonos related !!

Any further ideas please ?

There is however now a few Vmxxxxx-2G and VM8484443 Numbers - networks attached.