Sonos ZonePlayer Airplay 2 Support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Besides how good it may be, how does that sit 'legally' with Google? People here keep saying Sonos can't allow YouTube sound on Sonos as it's against the T's and C's of the service to split the video and audio in this way. Does turning the device display off stop the audio with Airplay 2?

Well I presume it must be legal as the SonosTube App lets you play YouTube on Sonos nowadays anyway... I’ve not seen anything that has tried to put a stop to that App. If that counts for anything?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Besides how good it may be, how does that sit 'legally' with Google? People here keep saying Sonos can't allow YouTube sound on Sonos as it's against the T's and C's of the service to split the video and audio in this way. Does turning the device display off stop the audio with Airplay 2?
In the one Sonos article, it states you can watch a YouTube video or similar Airplay2 supported App on an iOS device, such as an iPad for example ..and have the audio in perfect sync over grouped Sonos Airplay2 supported speakers. I wonder if that will also work for their Apple TV?... How good would that be for watching streaming films and music videos etc.

I’m quite surprised at that claim... is Apple Airplay2 going to be that good, I wonder?
I'd also encourage you to read Sonos' own information, which probably is less filtered than through a reporter, although I'll bet that both legal and marketing folks had a run through on it :)

https://blog.sonos.com/en/airplay2-coming/
So, you skipped over the sentence that says " Sonos will allow AirPlay 2 to work on any speakers that are actively grouped with an AirPlay 2-compatible speaker."? Or perhaps they changed the article after you read it?
Badge
MacObserver reports that Sonos has officially announced which products will have Airplay 2 capability. Sonos One, Play:5, and PlayBase will be the only existing products that will gain Airplay 2 compatibility. Still no more details about how this will be implemented, i.e. will any non-compatible Sonos products that happen to be grouped with Airplay 2 compatible products be able to play together over Airplay 2? https://www.macobserver.com/news/tmo-scoop/sonos-airplay-2-details/
No one knows for sure, but we can have a bit of guessing, based on the way Sonos works now.

1) They won't be able to act as "receivers" for the signal, since the hardware isn't likely to already be in the Zone Player that would connect.

2) They should, however, be able to stream if you have another player that can act as a "receiver". I believe at some point the Sonos One was indicated to be one of the "receivers", and there's a possibility that the PLAYBASE might be as well, although we're not sure. Kind of like the way you can stream to a zone player from a line in currently, many of us are assuming.

3) Sonos won't tell us until they're ready to actually release it. Since Apple hasn't officially released AirPlay 2 yet, except in beta, it's unlikely that Sonos has put a lot of effort into it, since it's likely been changing frequently. Once Apple officially releases it, I'd guess that Sonos will take 3 5o 6 months in order to code it, test it, beta it, and release it. That's a complete guess. It might be longer, it might be shorter. We will know when Sonos is ready to talk.