Skip to main content
Answered

SONOS V MESH WIFI

Hi.

love the product, cannot fault the quality of sound, at all.

BIG problem. New app. SONOS, WTF?

not compatible with mesh networks at all. I had sky Wi-Fi before, slight drag issues, but nothing dramatic. Eero mesh? Doesn’t like it at all.

why am I wasting my words? You might actually care for consumers that may consume you, if you do not fix it?

end.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi.

love the product, cannot fault the quality of sound, at all.

BIG problem. New app. SONOS, WTF?

not compatible with mesh networks at all. I had sky Wi-Fi before, slight drag issues, but nothing dramatic. Eero mesh? Doesn’t like it at all.

why am I wasting my words? You might actually care for consumers that may consume you, if you do not fix it?

end.

I have been using 6 different Sonos speakers on a 4-node Google Nest Wi-Fi Pro mesh network without issue for several years now. It does work.  Maybe not with Eero or “Sky Wi-Fi” (never heard of this)… but you would think you’d see more alarm bells in forums like these pertaining to network connectivity issues among mesh network implementations.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

US or UK?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

US or UK?

US

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I don’t think the new app has had any effect at all on mesh compatibility. AFAIK, Sonos units tend not to like network extenders, but most mesh systems seem to be OK. I’m using a 3-node mesh and it was working OK with 16.1, and I could see the whole network OK when the app auto-upgraded to the first of the 80 releases. I haven’t done any extensive testing with the latest release because I rolled all of my controllers back to 16.1, due to numerous other problem, but I don’t think that mesh connectivity was one of them.

Having said that, if you’re trying to set up a new mesh network, you’re probably out of luck, as I don’t think the first release of the new app lets you change any of the wifi settings manually (crazy, ridiculous, unbelievable, but true).

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If you’re setting up a new network, or trying to migrate your speakers to a mesh network… like @Antifon said above, you may be out of luck, because the current app is completely (for the most part) non-functional. I couldn’t imagine going through a speaker setup process. But if you’re daring, and willing to sacrifice a speaker, please see how it works… if it works. I’m just putting out a “vote of no confidence” out there with the current state of things.  Again, if I can help provide suggestions, I will… but I’m leaving things status quo on the Google Nest network on my end until I gain more trust and confidence in this damn app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Been using TP-Link Deco M5 3-node wifi mesh with various Sonos speakers attached by wifi to different nodes, for a few years. Never had an issue with Sonos at any point, and the new app has not affected anything.

Nodes are in AP mode, not router mode, with the router itself in charge of DHCP allocation, but with router wifi switched off. The only wifi is delivered by the mesh nodes.

And if it matters, I’m in the UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

My eero mesh works just fine but I am using 16.1 old s2 app never updating. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey, that’s what I was trying tease out.

the app as is, is useless.

WiFi or MESH, doesn’t matter - SONOS; you guy awake?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hey, that’s what I was trying tease out.

the app as is, is useless.

WiFi or MESH, doesn’t matter - SONOS; you guy awake?

I refer you to my post…

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi rhonny,

our place has got 18c thick walls, might be an issue? Thanks for the uk nod, makes it all better?!

Badge

I have Archer Air Mesh from dLink set-up, 1x router, 1x router in sattelite mode, 6 extenders. Just installed. Nothing works very well. Lagging like never before, unsynced speakers and extremely slow to update what is playing. Unable to add new songs to playlists. One speaker is stuck with the closest extender and forms a single system. Unacceptable, they are all on SAME fu**ing wifi network, I can see that on the router app. How hard can it be to link them all if on same network, feels like a 1990- beginner problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Asus Aimesh works fine with old and new app, new one bit laggy though 

Badge

I’m new to Sonos and also new to our Eero mesh, so all of our software downloads are the latest versions -- and I certainly can’t speak to the difference between the older app and the updated version (nor am I tech-savvy, so I have to research everything I don’t understand -- it’s exhausting).  I’ve managed to get WIFI connection only when plugging in speakers/components right next to the base node and then moving them to their intended locations.  Our Sonos is working-ish, but I’ve had a bunch of resets, dropping of speakers and denials of access to my music library.  Not too impressed so far -- sound quality being the exception.  But what’s the point if I have to totally reset the system in order to hear any of our music?

Sold my Polk Studio 10 speakers from my pretty-good analog stereo, so I’m glad I at least bought a pair of Sonos Fives.  But so much of our music is digitized and in our computer, so the analog system isn’t a viable fallback.

A couple of years ago I restored a 1920-ish Pathe wind-up phonograph to brialliantly-operating condition.  This currently is the most reliable recorded audio system we own!

Until you get the SONOS library sorted, you could use the FIVE’s analog input connected to your computer.

This will save you from buying more needles for the Pathe and it won’t play 33.33.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Or plug a WiiM mini into your 5 like I did no more Sonos App 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Migrated our 13 Sonos devices to a new TP-Link Deco XE75 mesh network a couple of weeks ago. Had some multiple factory resets on Sonos One (Gen 1s) but eventually got everything connected including two Sonos Connect (Gen 2s). While not perfect by any means, since the last Sonos firmware and app update stability has certainly improved, a Deco firmware update helped with that as well. Nodes and Sonos devices are positioned to give signal to noise of better than -60dBm, with beamforming enabled, and every device has a reserved IP (Deco is also the router), is tied to a specific node and has seamless roaming turned off (with the exception of a Roam). Library runs off a Synology NAS running DSM 7.2.1. Stability is good, but far from perfect, probably 2 days out of 3 without issues.

Sonos used to be so user friendly.  Very easy for non-techie folks like me.  Converted to 3node WiFi mesh and everything works great, EXCEPT the Sonos speakers.  5 hours total on tech support calls and no solution.  Really frustrated!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

If it helps anyone:
I was having problems with Sonos playback a while back. I have mesh Wi-Fi and my router wasn't setup as modem only mode.
Disabling the Wi-Fi is not the same as Modem mode.
If you just just disable Wi-Fi you will most probably be in what’s known as a double NAT situation, which Sonos (any other things probably) won’t like.

You can google how to check if you are in double NAT.

Worth noting too that, at least with my ISP’s router, if you change the router to modem mode, then the IP address you type in to access the router settings from a browser (192.168….etc)  will be different, this will depend on your router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The double NAT is certainly one to watch! I wonder if some mesh users with Sonos difficulties have double NAT issues.

Another potential route to avoid this is to keep the router fully operating, and run the wifi mesh in AP mode (Access Point), so the router is responsible for assigning IP addresses (DHCP) and deals with NAT, and the mesh nodes are just transmitters of the wifi. It is important to turn the router’s wifi off too, so the only wifi is via the mesh. 

This ensures the mesh turns off dealing with NAT.  

(This is how my TP-Link Deco mesh is set up and Sonos works well connecting to the various mesh nodes.)