Sonos system losing connection to controllers.

• 7 February 2015
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Hi User860270,

Normally, once connected, your controllers should stay connected to your Sonos system. There can be a few reasons why the your controller lose connection. If your controllers are connecting to another wireless network, or even and open guest network, they would lose connection to Sonos. Also, if your router is having some issues sending data between your controllers and the Sonos system, you may see this behavior.

Have you added any networking components to your home network recently? If you added a wireless extender, or something similar, it is possible that your devices can't connect to Sonos through this extender.

It might help us figure this out if we see some data from your system. Please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number: How to submit diagnostics.

Done.

Your confirmation number is: 4355185.

System layout:
PC and Bridge wired directly to same physical switch.
Play 3 connected via Bridge.

All devices lose connectivity to the system regardless of using wired or wireless network.

Rebooting system does not bring it back, I have to actually re-join one controller to the system via the button on the bridge, and then all devices connected to the system work just fine for a day or two.
Userlevel 1
I have had my SONOS System for about 1-2 months. I have the Soundbar, Sub, a Player 3 and a Player 5. It worked just fine for a few days, then started dropping music. The Bestbuy salesrep said I may need a "Wifi booster"...so I bought it. Hooked it up...the BOOST is plugged directly into the "wifi router/booster". I keep having to go throughout my house and reset every part of the system. It sometimes will work for a few hours to a few days...then it starts dropping music (through my Google Play app)...and sometimes the other apps. When I spent the (almost $2600 now) on all of this...the Bestbuy salesperson did not inform me that I needed to be a network engineer or have a degree in radio signal interference. He said...just follow the easy instructions to connect the BOOST to your WIFI and it'll be up and running in a matter of minutes! THIS IS TRUE...it only took a few minutes to connect everything and get it up and running. And to be quite honest...I actually love the system when it's working. I have replaced my $3500 Bose system with this system. HOWEVER...I do NOT even know HOW to access the cable company's router...even if I did, I wouldn't know what in the heck to do. It seems to me (being the CEO of a good sized company), that there would have been a lot of testing from SONOS R&D department prior to charging the PREMIUM rate that Sonos is charging for a system that relies so heavily on Internet/Network connectivity and WIRELESS connectivity. In theory, this system is amazing. In reality, I wish I would not have purchased it yet. Not until all of these bugs were worked out. I find this deeply disturbing. $2000 to $3000 investment in a system like this is pretty steep.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi User860270,

Normally, once connected, your controllers should stay connected to your Sonos system. There can be a few reasons why the your controller lose connection. If your controllers are connecting to another wireless network, or even and open guest network, they would lose connection to Sonos. Also, if your router is having some issues sending data between your controllers and the Sonos system, you may see this behavior.

Have you added any networking components to your home network recently? If you added a wireless extender, or something similar, it is possible that your devices can't connect to Sonos through this extender.

It might help us figure this out if we see some data from your system. Please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number: How to submit diagnostics.