Answered

Sonos S2 system not working well

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I had really bad issues with my Sonos S2 system with 2 x Sonos Ones.

I assigned them static IP addresses and for some reason it is much more stable now. I have an Asus ZenWifi mesh network.

That’s the more permanent way to do 2. , in my post above. There just appear to be some routers that seem to regularly lose position in the IP table, and since Sonos does a soft reboot with each software update, it hits that issue more frequently than most devices. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mike-uk.

Thanks for reaching out and for bringing up your concern to our attention.

I appreciate your feedback and I’d be glad to help, our Engineers are continuously working and closely monitoring the app to take action when there’s a need for improvement.

It’s also important to check a couple of things on your local system to see if you are actually running into trouble somewhere else. 

Can you please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number, it can help us identify what is causing the issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @benjamindm.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in getting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, symptoms indicative of interference have been detected on the Sonos components.

I see that the Mac controller is connected on the 5Ghz Wifi network, can you try to connect it to 2.4Ghz where Sonos system was set.

Also, the wireless channel of Sonos looks congested, I suggest the following steps:

• Change the router/AP's wireless channel to a different channel (1,6 and 11 are non-overlapping channels).

• If the router/AP uses automatic channel assignment,  turn off the auto channel and try to manually set it.
  • Wait 3 minutes and get a new diagnostic.
  • Test it and please observe if the issue will persist.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Wow, was not aware of that, but this behaviour makes a lot more sense now (cabled speaker was not at the center). Thanks for the info 106rallye!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RobinP.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I totally understand and I'll switch this thread over to an idea for you, that way people can follow the status in case there is any news in the future. 

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

New to this chat, but all the above reads like my daily playbook.

S1 was seamless 100% (never a single issue), forced to update to S2 a few months ago and now my days are filled with Sonos hate.

Turn on, cant play a song. Works fine direct on Spotify, but Sonos fails to find it. Restart everything in sequence, and get the same outcome. Try a few more songs, same thing. Then after half an hour, the first song I tried magically starts playing. Loud (yesterday’s volume), so I use the app to turn it down. After about a minute, this happens. This doesn’t always happen, but I’d say maybe 4 days a week. Not what I signed up for.

I’m the IT director of a company, so I know what to test first. Done it a hundred times and this is 100% an app fault.

Getting to the point that I’m thinking about putting my whole house system on eBay. I feel cheated, as I’ve spent a ton of cash on this, and it worked like a dream until S2. It’s supposed to enhance your life, not make it worse.
I used to think Sonos was the future. Disappointingly, It’s rapidly becoming the past.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does this mean that I have to be on the 2.4GHz (slower) network to use Sonos?

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Annazel S 

Diagnostic: 1138041335

@benjamindm - It won’t matter whether your PC/MAC controller is connected to 2.4/5Ghz or wired.

The issue I’m seeing with S2 isn’t in the controls but it’s the communications between the speakers. 

You can try using a S2 client on your phone when the speakers drop off on your Mac Client, chances are it won’t be on there either.

All Sonos devices, save the Move, connect to a 2.4Ghz (further, better wall penetration) network. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Right, but does my laptop have to also be on the 2.4Ghz network?

Depends on your router, actually. Some seem to block signals across the two bands, but most don’t. You could easily just test, and maybe read the router’s manual to see there’s a setting for that. 

Userlevel 1

Hereby a screenshot of the 'about my system' part in the Sonos app. No info for now, IT should come up in a few minutes. The speaker is Just a few meters away from a Netgear r7000 router with a hoge wifi range. 

When im 20 meters away outside,  still have wifi connection on my other devices. On the S1 Sonos firmware i never had these issues.