Sonos S2 order of artists and blank genre

• 5 October 2020
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

This is so aggravating! I always play from my Android device. Not having genre support is such a fundamental miss on their part. Certainly feels like they don’t care about their customers now that they have our money.

I got through to support today and after explaining my issues they said, “We are currently aware and investigating the issue you are experiencing. We do not have any timeline nor additional details to share at this time.”

So, too bad, I guess. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is a crazy issue. They’re sorting Artists by FAT modification time, not alphabetically. Simple fix, but as a new Sonos user, it’s starting to look like they don’t care about local storage, just cloud services support (SMBv1 smh).

My guess is that there is no actual sorting at all, Sonos never never sorted anything in the controller code to my knowledge. I think they are simply doing s find-first/find-next which on FAT defaults to last-mod-first.

This is a crazy issue. They’re sorting Artists by FAT modification time, not alphabetically. Simple fix, but as a new Sonos user, it’s starting to look like they don’t care about local storage, just cloud services support (SMBv1 smh).

Having just upgraded to S2 I have to say I’m not impressed to find this issue has been completely ignored for a month…

I invariably listen to music on my own device by genre as it’s the easiest way to narrow down music to manageable categories rather than browse the entire list of albums/artists.  (And I do it on my own device thanks to both Amazon and Google withdrawing their cloud options (and YouTube music only listing the first 100 albums…  )   Congratulations, Sonos for breaking this in your new app and apparently not noticing or caring.

Badge

Same issue for me too, nothing in "genre" folder. 

I'm still trying to delete empty playlists too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I would guess the Artist order is the file system order (assuming the file system is FAT). Its been a long time since I’ve used FAT, but I don’t recall a way of changing the other except by deleting everything and carefully copying the files back in the order you want.