Answered

Sonos S1 Controller for Mac Update Fail

• 3 November 2022
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the help on this thread. I had the same problem when using the S1 app on MacBook Pro with recently updated Ventura the Sonos update kept failing and crashing. My speakers were showing Version11.6 and the app showing Version 11.5. As suggested I removed the installer from the Trash to downloads, opened it and it created a second Sonos Controller App 2 which I now use andI deleted the original Sonos S1 app. I can now manage my library and the speakers and app are back to normal.

Interesting. I’ve had this issue the last two updates of S2, but the normal .pkg file installs the ‘new’ version without having to deal with the trash can at all. I do delete the ‘old’ version that won’t self update first, though. 

Badge

I was finally able to get the correct explanation from someone at Sonos technical support.

I have a number of Sonos products, some of which are S2 capable and some S1. I have stuck with the S1 controller, as I don’t want a divided system.

It turns out that the update that my S1 Controller for Mac is trying to run (Sonos_57.13-34140.dmg) is actually the newest update for S2 Controller for Mac (14.8). That is why it is crashing. It is already running the latest S1 version for Mac (11.5).

Quite why my S1 Mac controller is identifying an incompatible S2 version as an update, when it is already running the latest S1 version, I don’t know.

The newest S1 version for macOS on the Sonos download page is also Sonos_57.13-34140.dmg (S2 version 14.8), so it is also incompatible and crashes on installation.

Perhaps the beginning of the end of Sonos support for S1 has started with MacOS?

The latest version of S1 for Mac is 11.6.1 and is on my Mac, and I too am on S1 with some S2 capable products, because I chose to stay on S1. 11.5 is NOT the latest.

How come many have been able to get that installed by just following the workarounds suggested here, if the Sonos advice received is correct?

Something for some one like @Corry P to clarify, perhaps.

That’s very interesting, Kumar. 
Just to clarify: for me, the latest version of S1 on my iOS iPhone devices and iPadOS iPad devices is 11.6.1 but on my macOS iMac and Mac mini devices, it’s 11.5. Are you saying that you have been able to update your devices running macOS to 11.6.1?

Yes, both the iPhone and Mac are now on 11.6.1.

Mac first moved to Ventura and then to 11.6.1; that move needed the workaround that has never been needed in the past which is why I suspect a minor Mac issue and not a Sonos one.