Sonos Radio HD-Thoughts?

• 12 November 2020
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

What do you mean plain and what do you mean HD?

Good question; unlike in the world of TV where things like HD Ready, HD, 4K and now 8K are clearly defined, HD audio is not. So Amazon and now Sonos can attach HD to whatever suits them at the time.

Perhaps because the resolving power of the human ear is much lower than that of the human eye, this fuzzy situation has long prevailed, even for things like a common definition for “audiophile kit”, for which there is none in technical terms, leaving that to be understood as whatever is more expensive than kit at mass manufacture scale benefited price points of makes like Sonos.

Badge

I signed up for the trial and now get “unable to connect to sonos radio - the connection was lost”. It still works on S1 item.

does seem overpriced for the few stations I would listen to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Beagle it doesn't sound dramatic. I think Sonos Radio uses tunein for their non Sonos stations, (based on the tunein branded cover art). Just a guess, but it wouldn't be a stretch to see Sonos drop the TuneIn plugin and default to Sonos - allowing Sonos to insert ads at the beginning of streams etc or implement premium features for $$ 🤷 

This wouldn't push me away based on my listening habits but can see how it might for other owners. 

Interesting times with Sonos for sure.