Question

SONOS integrated with Echo / Alexa?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
“...mostly bug fixes and cosmetic changes”. Yes, that’s pretty much what a new OS involves.
Last comment here says it's "brilliant". Sounds encouraging.

http://www.aftvnews.com/beta-testers-can-now-control-sonos-speakers-through-any-alexa-enabled-device/

I subscribe to Apple Music and at the moment Alexa only responds to Spotify and others but not Apple. Will I be able to control my Apple Music in Sonos via Alexa voice control or is all my waiting in vain and I'll have to switch to another supported music service?

Why is this a big deal if you have a monthly plan with Apple Music? Even if you don't wait till the end of any month to switch, all you will lose is less than ten bucks?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
It's not a big deal, didn't think I was making a "big deal" just by posing a simple question. Of course if Alexa voice control really works well and is worth using with my Sonos setup then I will change if necessary. After all it's no big deal is it?:$
“...mostly bug fixes and cosmetic changes”. Yes, that’s pretty much what a new OS involves.

Sure, I'm downplaying it a bit. I'm sure there's no features and such. But for the most part, it's not making drastic changes to what already works, and the development and test process is relatively routine. Hence their ability to knock it out fairly quickly. It's not the same as doing an integration where 2 sets of management are involved, negotiations on what features to implement occur, and figuring out which company will be responsible for which feature.

Again, you can't simply conclude that Sonos or Amazon are slacking off because Apple is able to produce a completely unrelated iOS upgrade. By that logic, you could also complain that Apple's Homepod should already be on the market.
Looks like it will be available next week according to the Privacy Update I received today with new software and system updates coming.
[Last Updated: August 2017]

Sonos respects your privacy and your rights to control your personal data. Our guiding principles are simple. We will be transparent about what data we’re collecting and why. We will protect your data as though it is sacred. And we do not and will not sell your data to third parties.

The overarching purpose of collecting your data is to improve your listening experience. Whether we're collaborating with music services to make sure you have access to your favorite playlists, giving you the ability to control Sonos with the sound of your voice or the touch of your smart home system, or offering you highly responsive customer support so you can get the music playing again when something goes wrong, our goal is for you to listen as effortlessly as possible.
What you should know about our new privacy statement
Next week, we’ll be introducing some important updates to our privacy statement. Sonos owners and anyone who visits our website will be asked to acknowledge this new policy when we update our software and systems in the coming days. The new privacy statement covers what information we collect, how we use it, and the choices you can make about both.
We use the data you share with us to improve your listening experience. For example, the information we collect allows us to understand your system’s performance so we can make improvements to Sonos software and keep it secure. The data also makes tools like Trueplay tuning possible, so your speakers sound great in every room. And as we introduce new ways for you to control Sonos, like with your voice and via music service apps and smart home integrations, the data you provide makes these experiences seamless.
The "new updates" are to the privacy statement, not to the system. Though the release of voice control is obviously coming, the email does not suggest it will be next week, only that the new privacy policies will be released.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
another news on this topic, October 4, 2017 , let's see... what it will be:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16219474/sonos-voice-assisted-speaker-event
Not now. It has been announced for later this year. Right now you can only connect an Echo Dot to a Sonos with a line-in connection.
Nothing imaginary here, that's just insulting.
It's confirmed vaporware

Thanks for such an enlightening comment. You've added much the the thread. 😃
Userlevel 2
I heard that the feature is currently in beta...anyone know what beta/version it's in?
If it's in beta, it is a private beta and thus anybody in the know is under a strict NDA.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Can you integrate an Echo / Alexa to your Sonos system so that when you command Alexa to play music, it goes through your Sonos system?? Yes, I'm doing that right now, however, it appears I'm not allowed to tell you how.
Can you integrate an Echo / Alexa to your Sonos system so that when you command Alexa to play music, it goes through your Sonos system?? Yes, I'm doing that right now, however, it appears I'm not allowed to tell you how.
You weren't even allowed to tell us the first half of the sentence.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
[/quote]
You weren't even allowed to tell us the first half of the sentence.[/quote]
Why, it's not a Sonos solution I'm using, so I think I'm still allowed to tell people that it's possible and that I'm doing it right now?
Continue and you're done with testing. You've signed a NDA, remember?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Smilja, this has nothing to do with the official Sonos/Amazon integration. Read my other posts if you want to know how I'm doing it, but it's possible this may be deleted as apparently I'm not allowed to say how it's possible.
Johnnie, you contradict yourself. You are not even allowed to tell that you are partaking in testing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'm not testing, I've found an alternative solution that's actually been around for some time.
I'm not testing, [...]
Sonos is able to verify that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Sorry I don't understand understand. I just thought that you and others who want to control and play music from their amazon echo through their sonos speakers would like to know that it's already possible. It does require some extra equipment but i've been advised that I shouldn't be linking to such solutions in my posts.
It is already established that an Amazon Echo or Dot will be required. Fifteen minutes of fame can be costly, you know.