Sonos for Apple Watch

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I wouldn't think we would get more then Current Song Playing, pause/play, forward, back.  Which for a basic remote as the watch would be should be plenty.  Maybe background behind the info above be the album art (watermarked behind).
Think we covered this up the thread somewhere @Chris. Basic functionality is all I envisage and I would hope people would be happy with that - think if you try to cram to much functionality into the watch it wouldn't be a good user experience.
@Mark Guilford

I agree with @Mark. It's no unreasonable for people to have started up their Watch and expected to see a Sonos app right there ready to go. If it was, then you would see no apps, but the reality is plenty of companies manage to develop ahead of the launch of the hardware. As someone noted: "Pandora already has it done along with several other music players".

Considering there is another thread I've been following keenly for years on a Sonos integration with IFTTT (formerly known as) and on which there seems to have been little action on, I'm a little worried Sonos aren't really the innovators I thought they were to be honest.

Itisa no-brainer (as is IFTTT!) so I'm with everyone else in the expectation it happens pretty soon.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It is understandable that people like to see a Apple Watch app, and I would welcome this as well.

At the same time, this is kind of a "nice to have" feature and not a show stopper; especially with more pressing issues as the threads show.

What however strikes me funny is the fact how "demanding" some users are (not targeted to anybody specifically).

If one makes an app request like that in the Apple forums ,they don't even get staff response. Sonos chose to handle their business close chested like Apple does but at least responds occasionally (even though we may not like the answer).

Instead of trying to pressure them with sales loss (how many Play1 does one not has to buy until they recognize negative revenue?) take on the coolness you been taught by Apple - sit back and wait until engineering is ready for you;)
I was among the first to clamor for an Apple Watch Sonos app. But I do think that a watch app is NOT a "no brainer"... 

The Sonos app on the iPhone is a complex and multi-faceted application, providing a wide array of choices. How to condense that functionality into an Apple Watch is probably tricky: what to include, what to exclude, and how to provide the most satisfying interface is probably not an easy task. To include too much would be disasterous for this small screen, but leaving out crucial functionality would have the members of the forum incensed. I can't imagine that Sonos is not thinking about this issue very carefully. This is not a matter of simple "play/pause/stoop" functionality, nor loading just a boarding pass and notifications...

I look forward to Sonos' creative thinking on this issue. 

I know I don't speak for everyone, but what I'd like to see is something very basic sooner rather than wait for something complex.  Really, just Room, Now Playing, Pause/Play, and Volume.  Keep it simple.  

After that they can update later with additional functionality, especially when the full SDK comes out.
Sorry Chris, wrong @.  

But to address the "no brainer" comment, I wasn't the one who made the comment, but look at the full quote, "Just got my watch too and sad/shocked to see that there's no app for it!! It's a no brainer guys!!"

I really think that is meant in the context of there will obviously be Apple Watch owners wanting a Sonos app, not a "You're stupid for not having this".
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was among the first to clamor for an Apple Watch Sonos app. But I do think that a watch app is NOT a "no brainer"... 

The Sonos app on the iPhone is a complex and multi-faceted application, providing a wide array of choices. How to condense that functionality into an Apple Watch is probably tricky: what to include, what to exclude, and how to provide the most satisfying interface is probably not an easy task. To include too much would be disasterous for this small screen, but leaving out crucial functionality would have the members of the forum incensed. I can't imagine that Sonos is not thinking about this issue very carefully. This is not a matter of simple "play/pause/stoop" functionality, nor loading just a boarding pass and notifications...

I look forward to Sonos' creative thinking on this issue. 

there are plenty of other things Sonos can work on to improve their core program without fast tracking a function such as Apple watch that is a nice to play with feature. exactly how many consumer electronics companies have jumped on controls off the bat for Apple watch. Just because there are a few doesn't mean the vast majority have Just because you want it immediately doesn't mean it should be that way.

The more I hear the "I wants" around here the less I even want to see it happen. I'm waiting on my Apple watch and am to the point now I care less if it has Sonos on it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
It is understandable that people like to see a Apple Watch app, and I would welcome this as well.

At the same time, this is kind of a "nice to have" feature and not a show stopper; especially with more pressing issues as the threads show.

What however strikes me funny is the fact how "demanding" some users are (not targeted to anybody specifically).

If one makes an app request like that in the Apple forums ,they don't even get staff response. Sonos chose to handle their business close chested like Apple does but at least responds occasionally (even though we may not like the answer).

Instead of trying to pressure them with sales loss (how many Play1 does one not has to buy until they recognize negative revenue?) take on the coolness you been taught by Apple - sit back and wait until engineering is ready for you;)

Ironically, the only intentionally condescending comment in this entire thread is, "you sound like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum”  which was directed at the participants of this forum.  We are talking about semantics (the comment “No Brainer”) which had no malice behind it.  The important thing to note is that everyone is in agreement about the subject of the thread…  Sonos users fit the profile of those who are buying the Apple Watch and it would be assuring if Sonos would let us know that it is being worked on..   

I do appreciate the fact that above mentioned comment caused so many people to respond (which demonstrates our interest), as well as it shows support to those who have the thankless job of software development.  

We are all on the same page!

@Chris . It's worth the wait.  

I can only speak to my perception--and based on many of the comments left here and on the Sonos Facebook page have the negative tone distilled sounds like, "get with it, dummies".   That may not be the intent, but nevertheless that is how it comes across.

I think there are a lot of good ideas expressed here and suggestions are obviously welcome by Sonos.  However, there is a way to do it, and in my opinion a lot of people do come off sounding sarcastic if not downright rude.  Just my perspective.

Personally I am so grateful to Sonos. I got two of the Blue Note Play1s and they sound absolutely fantastic.  I find the app very easy to use and have had no trouble with it at all.  Between Spotify, iTunes playlists, DI.fm stations, and Pandora there isn't enough time in the day to listen to all the options I am have.  I guess that is why I find it so hard to believe there is so much to find fault with given the vast selections at our disposal.

Is it a perfect system?  No. Is there room for improvement?  Probably.  But I am definitely among those who are satisfied with what I have and will gratefully accept improvements and enhancements as they come.  Thanks, Sonos! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's like the school playground on here
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
It's an absolute must have and can't live without it and I will sell all my sonos stuff if it's not out soon 🙂 ha On a serious note, would be a really nice thing to have so hopefully they bring support for the watch soon. Does sonos ever read or comment/update on these threads?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They do read and have actually responded in this thread what I would call fairly positively (in Sonos terms).
It's an absolute must have and can't live without it and I will sell all my sonos stuff if it's not out soon 🙂 ha On a serious note, would be a really nice thing to have so hopefully they bring support for the watch soon. Does sonos ever read or comment/update on these threads?
Yes, Sonos does reply to some threads.  They have actually responded on the first page of this thread.  The statement (From Lesli T) was:

We are also excited to hear about the Apple Watch, but do not have news at this time.  I am going to switch this over to our Ideas Forum, please feel free to add your feedback.  As we receive new information on the Apple Watch, we will be sure to pass it on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Have my two pennies worth - Yes they do respond and read all posts, but don't always answer however they have answered this and hopefully a more positive answer will be forthcoming.
My interpretation of that comment was that the fact that there was no immediate app when the watch came out was upsetting, and that it is a "no brainer" Sonos should have had an app developed right now, day of launch.  Thus my questioning the knowledge of the realities of a software development cycle. 

Neither interpretation is wrong, IMHO. 

As to the "Pandora has a watch app!!" comment, Pandora doesn't manufacture multi-room audio systems.  When Samsung, Bose, Denon, LG,  Bluesound, etc. come out with a watch app, then you have a point.
Userlevel 3
By the way: I am not sure if it has any significance, but maybe a "Like" at the top of the Idea (that violet button on the top right) would be helpful to surface this thread even more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok how about we turn this into a positive thread. The purpose of any thread regarding Apple watch would be pointing out what we would like to see in an Apple watch app if it were ever to happen. Bruise especially with Apple watches already could give insight into user interface and what does and doesn't work as far as other watch app interfaces. Me Album cover art transparent background Track name pause Volume up/down Next track Maybe a subpage with repeat mix cross fade Subpage speaker selection / grouping Can any of the hard buttons be configured by the app like the recessed button being a play/pause ?