Question

Sonos Controller version 8, 8.1 are AWFUL. How can I go back to prior Controller version?

• 30 October 2017
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2
The reason people bought the overpriced Sonos speakers were to get the glorious, near-perfect Sonos controller app. Now Sonos has replaced that great user interface with the current complicated, difficult controller app. I've been using it for weeks and still have trouble finding simple controls. WHY? Is there a way to use the prior controller again?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I agree and am looking for a way to revert back to a prior version. The new interface is horrible. If no way to revert back, I pray that Sonos heads back towards what was so loved by so many. We all make mistakes, let's get this fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I tried to go back to 7.4 a few days ago and it won't even boot up without asking to update..
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
in a separate post Sonos confirmed that it will not allow the controller to run a version more than 1 behind the firmware on the devices (speakers/connects/boost/bridge). So if the devices are on 8.0 its OK to run 7.4 controller. However if the firmware is 8.1 or higher then 7.4 will go into 'forced update' mode that you experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nobody in their right mind buys a music/audio speaker for the "glorious, near-perfect controller app" unless they have a bizarrely skewed vision of what they want Vs what they need.

Apart from that you only need to look at the significant number of people who for years have been DEMANDING Sonos update the rubbish app calling it all sorts of useless. Now the app is changing significantly and apparently the old app was actually much better than sliced bread.

Sure, the new app needs some TLC but the MAIN thing is that the sound is STILL fantastic.
Agreed Stuart. A music system is for the music after all.

And to listen to that music, all you need to do is choose a room and then some music. For those finding that tricky in the new app, maybe this will help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mI9AOixsZpxDrxVnsnzYQbPZ23bSV-EG
A music system is many things to many people. In my opinion the latest changes to the app have turned a decent app into one that is so counter intuitive that I tend to use my PC now rather than the app. It's also made me think twice about getting Sonos kit for my kids bedrooms for Xmas, the latest Amazon speakers look like a better proposition for them.
A music system is many things to many people. In my opinion the latest changes to the app have turned a decent app into one that is so counter intuitive that I tend to use my PC now rather than the app. It's also made me think twice about getting Sonos kit for my kids bedrooms for Xmas, the latest Amazon speakers look like a better proposition for them.It is fair comment that we all have different priorities and I know that some users have found the app counterintuitive. May I ask what you feel is counterintuitive about the steps in the document I linked?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is just another stroppy rant from the OP. 17 days and no further replies. Also why the dig at overpriced, If he thinks that, why buy them?

I didn't like the new app at first. I rarely like any change in any app I regularly use. But can't say after a week or two I even notice. One of my friends picked up my phone to use Sonos for the first time and had no issues at all, another was confused. I think everyone is still looking for the perfect gui and we may get some pain along the way.

I do remember changes to the app a few years ago that caused outrage. But that, according to the OP, was near perfect.

You can please all of the people for some of the time.....
I really don't like the new controller either. I still have moments of confusion when trying to find the controls that I want. The old one was much easier to navigate. And I can't find a way to have the alarm play more than one speaker at a time. When I choose one speaker it un-checks the previous one.
As far as I am aware, it has never been possible to group alarms. Let us please not confuse new feature requests with complaints about the app changes
A music system is many things to many people. In my opinion the latest changes to the app have turned a decent app into one that is so counter intuitive that I tend to use my PC now rather than the app. It's also made me think twice about getting Sonos kit for my kids bedrooms for Xmas, the latest Amazon speakers look like a better proposition for them.It is fair comment that we all have different priorities and I know that some users have found the app counterintuitive. May I ask what you feel is counterintuitive about the steps in the document I linked?

The document explains it well (thanks!), but I guess my point is that you shouldn't need a document to use an app and previously I haven't. Apps should be intuitive and simple to use, especially when it is essentially performing such simple tasks, 1. select room(s), 2. select music. The old app worked well, I now keep getting asked by my family how to use the new app who seem to forget if they've not used it for a while (or been using 'Alexa' to select music).
It doesn't need a document. I didn't have one. I read the release notes, sat down for fifteen minutes, pressed everything in sight to see what happened, and pretty much had it figured.

Any change is going to mean temporary greater difficulty, and that is nothing to do with inherent intuitiveness.

But i don't want another argument over this. I am not trying to claim that the app is better than before. There are things I don't like about it. I wrote the document in the hope it would help, that is all.
Badge +1
I agree and really hope a new update is coming soon. I also have been experiencing audio drop outs in my 5.1 setup since the update before this one. The app is now a chore to use and not user friendly at all. Let's hope Sonos didn't lay off a ton of employees because the responses from support seem to have gone way down.
It doesn't need a document. I didn't have one. I read the release notes, sat down for fifteen minutes, pressed everything in sight to see what happened, and pretty much had it figured.

Any change is going to mean temporary greater difficulty, and that is nothing to do with inherent intuitiveness.

But i don't want another argument over this. I am not trying to claim that the app is better than before. There are things I don't like about it. I wrote the document in the hope it would help, that is all.

You say it doesn't need a document yet you wrote one either for yourself or as you recognised others did. You also had to read the release notes (which I'd argue are a form of document) for fifteen minutes and press everything in sight to figure it out, is this something you had to do with previous versions?

I know this is the first version of the app where I've not just been able to pick it up and use it intuitively and the frustration is that so far I can't see any benefit of the redesign but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not after an argument either, just stating my opinion so they can improve the app if there are a lot of people who feel the same as me, and do appreciate you writing the document, I've printed it out and I'm giving it to my family 😉
Has anyone else noticed that the new Sonos UI is almost exactly like Tidal’s UI? Only difference is the reversal of black and white. Both are simple and intuitive to use.
OK. Our perceptions are different and there is no right and wrong. Whatever the reason there is no question that some people haven't 'got' the new app. I suspect that is especially true of those used to the previous tablet app, where more was on display all the time.

I wrote the document yesterday, long after I had any need for it myself.

I am glad you think it may help you and your family and I very much hope it does.

Cheers
OK. Our perceptions are different and there is no right and wrong. Whatever the reason there is no question that some people haven't 'got' the new app. I suspect that is especially true of those used to the previous tablet app, where more was on display all the time.

I wrote the document yesterday, long after I had any need for it myself.

I am glad you think it may help you and your family and I very much hope it does.

Cheers

Thanks John B 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
After a few weeks I know my way around now.... but it still takes thought. And more significantly there's no pleasure in it. I've really loved the feel of the Sonos app before. I didn't like some of the layout and flow, but it still looked and felt _nice_.

I think if it still bothers people then they should continue to post. Otherwise all the 'you'll get used to it' folk will think they're right!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Btw can someone tell me the difference between Playlists and Sonos Playlists on the My Sonos screen? The Playlists section seems to have Sonos Playlists in it? But those ones aren't in the Sonos Playlists section?
Btw can someone tell me the difference between Playlists and Sonos Playlists on the My Sonos screen? The Playlists section seems to have Sonos Playlists in it? But those ones aren't in the Sonos Playlists section?Are you on version 8.0/8.1 or 8.2? In 8.0/8.1 'Playlists' actually meant 'favourite playlists'. In 8.2 the thing seems to have merged into one. My Sonos seems a bit of a dog's breakfast to me.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Btw can someone tell me the difference between Playlists and Sonos Playlists on the My Sonos screen? The Playlists section seems to have Sonos Playlists in it? But those ones aren't in the Sonos Playlists section?Are you on version 8.0/8.1 or 8.2? In 8.0/8.1 'Playlists' actually meant 'favourite playlists'. In 8.2 the thing seems to have merged into one. My Sonos seems a bit of a dog's breakfast to me.

Ah! Yes. I've done the upgrade and it's now one. Thanks! That seems less confusing. Need to explore it though. I never really bothered with Favourites before, but with the my Sonos feature page it seems more worthwhile.

I like the visual cue of the now playing screen being in front of the rest of the app. On iOS at least. Big difference. If they could only keep the black bar visible now all the time then at least the flow would be usable, IMO.
The new controller app really sucks
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks to the new controller I cannot access any of my Sonos devices or any music in my library. Bang goes a $3000 investment. Shame the developers and CEO don't read these posts. Don't tell me they do as the top post is 3 months old and it does not take that time to initiate a simple bit of code updating, like - do away with the need to update the controller every time you use it!
Userlevel 1
Badge
agreed, the user experience challenging
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
A week of frustration has passed and still no joy. I inadvertently begun a second post here:https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/get-rid-of-the-annoying-update-request-6802672/index1.html#post16210385
which is more up to date. The Post is marked answered by someone who should know better as his answer is useless. I'm looking for help from someone who actually has some network know-how please.