Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I would like to be able to play music directly from iTunes. IMO, it is vastly superior to any version of the Sonos App on any platform. I believe this is possible using Apple's Airplay 2, but not with my original Play 1 and Play 3 units. I'm sure this would be possible by using software, hardware or both. I rather cynically doubt, however, that Sonos or Apple would be commercially interested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I rather cynically doubt, however, that Sonos or Apple would be commercially interested.

Apple clearly not, but Sonos have already released multiple devices containing sufficient hardware to run Airplay 2. Not sure what more you are asking for?
I would like to be able to retrofit my speakers with Airplay 2 capability, I'm not holding my breath.
I would like to be able to retrofit my speakers with Airplay 2 capability, I'm not holding my breath.Just buy a Sonos One (as an example) and “Group” it with any, or all, your current Sonos speakers and Airplay to them all. It really is that simple and you can always use the “volume limiter” in its room settings, if you prefer to leave it silent and just let the Sonos One act as dedicated Airplay Controller for your entire household.
That sounds like a practical workaround. I hadn't considered leaving the 'Airplay Controller' silent, I guess I would be still able to maintain my 2 zones by grouping (or not) each pair with the new speaker. Thanks for that.
That sounds like a practical workaround. I hadn't considered leaving the 'Airplay Controller' silent, I guess I would be still able to maintain my 2 zones by grouping (or not) each pair with the new speaker. Thanks for that.Before I bought the new Beam and some additional Sonos Ones, I used a Sonos One in my Hallway as a dedicated Airplayer, grouping it with other main rooms in my home as and when Airplay was required.

In the early days there was no 'volume limiter' in the rooms settings, so I just muted its speaker (by pressing small speaker icon in Sonos App, next to its volume slider) ... however these days I have sufficient Airplay devices to group with and cover most main rooms. It’s nearing the time though to perhaps sell some of my Play: 1’s and maybe upgrade them all to the new Sonos Ones (Gen2)... which sounds much better than the Play:1, particularly as a stereo pair... er.. that’s just IMHO.?
Userlevel 1
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.

Been in the IT consulting business for twentyfive years and have an iPad I use as an AV Control 'appliance' (9.3.5) that stopped working, as well as an old Samsung TAB, another Samsung Tab 3, a LG tablet, and a Lenovo Tablet all that stopped working with Sonos, while other apps and products work just fine with these devices which are in excellent condition. I've always used 'older' devices as appliances strategically placed around the house, why not? Why should I have to buy new hardware every year or two to run Sonos speakers - LOL! Between Sonos not maintaining older software for at least some basic controls, in addition to forcing original purchasers like me to get an ID to update (class-action lawsuit...) I've stopped recommending the product and have had to tell folks to stay away.... (I used to promote the Sonos product over so many other options over the years to clients, neighbors, friends, etc) People are seeing how this company is behaving since it has gone public. Need I say more?
Userlevel 1
It is a bit weird. Sonos did give decent notice for the death of the CR100 (although some still missed the memo), but for the gutting of the Desktop apps and the dropping of iOS 9 there was zero notice. Not even in the update message itself.

Been in the IT consulting business for twentyfive years and have an iPad I use as an AV Control 'appliance' (9.3.5) that stopped working, as well as an old Samsung TAB, another Samsung Tab 3, a LG tablet, and a Lenovo Tablet all that stopped working with Sonos, while other apps and products work just fine with these devices which are in excellent condition. I've always used 'older' devices as appliances strategically placed around the house, why not? Why should I have to buy new hardware every year or two to run Sonos speakers - LOL! Between Sonos not maintaining older software for at least some basic controls, in addition to forcing original purchasers like me to get an ID to update (class-action lawsuit...) I've stopped recommending the product and have had to tell folks to stay away.... (I used to promote the Sonos product over so many other options over the years to clients, neighbors, friends, etc) People are seeing how this company is behaving since it has gone public. Need I say more?
Userlevel 1

SPREAD THE MESSAGE
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think we get the message Every_TDH and no need to like your own posts either. Class action lawsuit? Also please name another system that can do all that Sonos does and still supports all its speakers. I think most supported controllers that work are way more than a year old. Blame the tablet manufacturers for not releasing firmware upgrades maybe or ditch android tablets as the support is rubbish, my 5+ yr old Surface works fine as does our 10 old pc and my daughter's well used IPhone 6.

So you've stopped recommend recommending Sonos, that's fine , I've worked in it over 30 years and learnt never too take advice from IT "consultants" ?
I suggest Every_TDH contact a lawyer about their class action lawsuit. Then report back what the lawyer says. Until one does that, it would be advisable to keep these decidedly idle threats to oneself.
Dear Sonos, I have loved the kit that I have in the USA for the last three years (Play 1, two Ones, Playbar, Sub and connect) and bought my 84 year old dad in the UK a One and a Connect in February 2019. He has an older iPhone and iPad and has just today experienced Sonos turning off the app (on ios9.3.5) this afternoon. I am extremely frustrated as he has over six hundred pounds worth of kit in his house which is now dead electronics. No notice for the switch-off. How can this happen?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
No notice for the switch-off. How can this happen?

Except they did mention this.

Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system.

They also have a System Requirements FAQ

If he has a computer, he can still connect to and control Sonos. Providing it's using one of the following OS' - macOS OS X 10.11 and higher or Windows 7 and higher
Dear Sonos, I have loved the kit that I have in the USA for the last three years (Play 1, two Ones, Playbar, Sub and connect) and bought my 84 year old dad in the UK a One and a Connect in February 2019. He has an older iPhone and iPad and has just today experienced Sonos turning off the app (on ios9.3.5) this afternoon. I am extremely frustrated as he has over six hundred pounds worth of kit in his house which is now dead electronics. No notice for the switch-off. How can this happen?Apple has ended support for 32 bit devices and asking all developers to write their Apps for the 64 bit platform only. Sonos has little choice, but to move forward. Your 84 year old Dad will perhaps begin to see the end of support for other Apps on his device. The UK Banking Apps may soon not be supported on iOS 9.3.5, just as another example... Barclays Bank is already one such App. Some companies may make their older App available for a while, but eventually they will likely stop their support too.

It’s nearing time for your Dad to update.

This was announced two years ago in March 2017 ... so some warning from Apple was provided...
https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/28/apple-seemingly-ends-support-for-32-bit-devices-with-ios-1032
@ken_griffiths Thanks Ken, I'll let him know.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I would like to be able to retrofit my speakers with Airplay 2 capability, I'm not holding my breath.
I saw your question and whilst a little off topic this may help.

Have you considered using the Sonos Line In with a Apple AirPort (TimeCapusal) Line out (these maybe retired from the apple line, its been a while since I looked), but I have used AirPlay to sonos this way previously.
If you happened to have the parts lying around its fairly easy with one cable, maybe worth a test if it meets your requirements before buying more dedicated hardware.

Obviously @ken_griffiths solution is a valid one based on only Sonos hardware

Hope this helps. 😃
Thanks for your input, I used to use an Apple Airport to drive a pair of active speakers from iTunes running on my iMac via an iPad app called remote. It's some time ago but I seem to remember that to play from iTunes directly to Sonos you would need a separate Airport for the left and right channels. I still have the Airport but it needs a firmware install and may be faulty, I think another pair would be hard to come by.
SonoPad is THE answer for iPad 9.3.5 users to control Sonos devices. How the Sonos crowd, with such great hardware for sound, could let themselves be humiliated by a smart German app maker in this manner is beyond my comprehension. Hochmut kommt vor den Fall, I predict. Axel M.
I agree, Sonopad is excellent, I have used it myself since 9.3.5 was no longer supported. It doesn't, however, address the Sonos app's other weaknesses like a 60,000 track limit, lack of intelligent indexing and having to constantly update the music library after adding new albums. I would prefer to play my music directly from iTunes if practically and financially feasible.
You could have a PC running the desktop client, that supports remote desktop and run the Parallels Client on the IOS 9.3.5 and RDP to the PC and select your music that way.
For the iPad Mini in each room, you could use VMware to run multiple VM's running Desktop client and each mini connects to a separate desktop. Really ugly, but possibly cheaper than buying new mini's and wall mounts.

I also have been afflicted by the IOS 9.3.5 iPad in the kitchen ONLY for Sonos issue, and my wife is none too pleased.
Nathan.
Userlevel 2
Normally I do not make posts expressing my dissatisfaction with products because it does not do any good or change the end result. This is one of those times when it will not change anything, but I am irritated, and I want to express it. I own 6 ipads, three of them are Ipad 2’s that will no longer work with Sonos. I try to never use the word hate, but I reserve that word for Apple because they are the most arrogant company I have every dealt with in my 58 years of being alive. The only reason I own the Apple ipads is because I love the LaunchPort charges and sleeves I have scattered throughout my house, and the fact that I basically I only use them to control Sonos, Thermostats and RadioRA2. I have a $ 30K distributed audio system comprising of over $ 6K in Sonos connect, connectamps and subwoofers in 10 zones. The fact that I cannot use my original Ipad2’s and I have to buy new units to control my Sonos system is ridicules and unfair to Sonos customers. I am not technologically or financially challenged but I should not have to spend $ 1,800 (3 iPads x $ 400 + $200 LaunchPort sleeves) just to continue to use the $ 6K worth of Sonos equipment I own.

I also agree with the hundreds of other posts in different categories complaining about the constant Sonos App updates. When I first starting using Sonos 4 plus years ago you could do anything in the App on the main page by pushing a few buttons. Now you must push 5 or 6 buttons on multiple pages to accomplish the same task. I own a technology company, so I am not some old guy complaining about having to learn something new, I am complaining because you are not making the user experience better by forcing me to push more buttons. In this case, change does not always equal better, and it should in a company with your history and experience of making innovative products. Although I do not put Sonos in the same category as my dislike for Apple, I do think you are arrogant, and that attitude is not going to serve you well in the long run.

Sonos can certainly figure out how to support older software on IOS products that Apple does not support. You could easily keep multiply older versions on your website for your customers to download outside the Apple App store. Let’s be honest, you do not want to do it. Sonos could also figure out how to let people keep an older version of the software they like better, and not force them into a new skin. I realize that this is a complicated issue and I could not possibly be aware of all the challenges Sonos is faced with, but I think there was a better way to handle it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The trouble is you cannot add a Sonos app to an iPhone unless it comes from Apple App Store. Apple do not allow multiple versions, unless you are using it in under development, I.e. for Beta test versions. If you abuse this then Apple can remove all your apps.

This is the fundamental issue. But even if Sonos could do this it would make their development process a lot more complex especially having to test multiple versions. This is why they have reduced the functionality of the desktop apps.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sonos this is ridiculous. I want give any warning. Device auto updated the app. Now I've a useless device on my wall. You shouldn't stop anything working for older devices. Sure perhaps they won't be able to access all features of new app, but stop messing with people's systems.
I join the band of very unhappy Sonos users with an older IPad that runs perfectly well with no need for me to spend hundreds of £'s to replace it.
New features in Sonos are of no interest to me - if I wanted to stream music there are many good quality speakers I could buy to do this..... I just want to play my own music collection as I used to be able to do & the reason I bought Sonos in the first place..... Wake up Sonos you are loosing confidence of your original & loyal customers
Some of the responses in this thread are arrogant & insulting to people who have invested in the Sonos product in good faith & are suddenly unable to use the system!!
I have an 3rd Gen iPad from 2012 running IOS 9.3.5. Sonos shrugged and gave up supporting my ZP100 on this device without warning but SonoPad came to the rescue and works fine. I'd certainly think twice about investing any more $ in Sonos hardware when they are so cavalier about supporting their customers' investments in their products.