Sonos version 10.1 Now Available - Recently Played

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 11182 replies
Sonos version 10.1 is now available as an update for players and controllers, with some new and exciting features.

My Sonos - Now Showing Recently Played Music

With 10.1, you’ll be able to easily see and replay the music you’ve played on your system using the Sonos app. See the 40 most recent Albums, Playlists, Stations (but not individual songs) played on Sonos using the app under a new section of My Sonos called Recently Played. This is specific to your Sonos app, and doesn't show you the music started using voice control, AirPlay, or other ways to play on Sonos. Individual entries can be removed from the Recently Played section of My Sonos to assist with curation and all entries can be easily cleared from Settings as well.

To enable and manage, go to Settings > My Sonos Settings. You’ll need to sign in to your account in the Sonos App. This feature requires some activity information to be collected as outlined in an updated Sonos Privacy Statement. Recently Played can be turned off in the same My Sonos Settings.

Also new to My Sonos, add the Line-In for any Sonos components with an input (not including TV inputs). Just go to Browse > Line-In and select the three dots beside the Line-In that you want to add to My Sonos. Don’t forget that under Room Settings > Line-In settings you can also set the name of the Line-In for each device. Using unique names allows users and control partners to maintain an alphabetized list of Line-In favorites for use with home automation systems like Control4, Lutron, iPort, etc.

Improvements to Podcast Playback

There’s now a new way to skip through your podcasts. You'll find some quick skips forward and backwards for podcast content on the Now Playing page. This feature is available starting with Pocketcasts, and will be added to other podcast sources over time. The buttons will display a number on them showing how far it’ll skip.

Alexa app improvements

Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. This will provide an easier view of the devices in your Alexa app.

System requirements, alerts & warnings

Minimum OS requirements
  • Android 5.0 or later
  • iOS 10 or later
  • macOS 10.11 or later
  • Windows 7 or later

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.4 are no longer supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.4 can no longer connect to a Sonos system.

102 replies

Badge +5
Quick skips for podcasts is a huge bonus for this release. Thank you!
Badge +2
My Eyes got as big as Google OO's when I saw the update notification. alas it was for naught... maybe next one! LOL
Badge
does this resolve the skipping issues while playing music with the sonos app (iphone) from music on your phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
does this resolve the skipping issues while playing music with the sonos app (iphone) from music on your phone?
If you're having trouble with music stored on your iOS device being played to Sonos, there are some things to do that can improve the playback, but there is still an issue that crops up when the screen goes to sleep. The Sonos app loses focus on the phone and any other Airplay devices on the network could cause the audio stream to become no longer available. While we're still investigating this, I'd recommend looking into either using AirPlay 2 with a compatible Sonos player, or having your music library stored on another device on the network, and using the phone as a controller instead of the source of the music. That way you can play music without the phone being around.

When we have more to share on this, we'll be sure to share it.
Badge
perhaps the player needs a re-write to be more like "having your music library stored on another device"; where the play is the controller and there is a music server service on the phone that serves up the music... and can be ran at the appropriate priority.
10.1 breaks the control from the Savant Automation system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

With 10.1, you’ll be able to easily see and replay the music you’ve played on your system using the Sonos app. See the 40 most recent Albums, Playlists, Stations (but not individual songs) played on Sonos using the app under a new section of My Sonos called Recently Played. This is specific to your Sonos app, and doesn't show you the music started using voice control, AirPlay, or other ways to play on Sonos. Individual entries can be removed from the Recently Played section of My Sonos to assist with curation and all entries can be easily cleared from Settings as well.

After wading through the privacy policy and the "you have to sign in to use the feature" statements, it looks like this data is being held remotely on Sonos servers, not locally on Sonos devices (or even controller devices). Interesting choice, unless full iTunes-style play counts etc are coming, that would bust the memory limits of current Sonos devices if stored locally. Or, y'know, for recommendations based on what you listened to last (but not often).

Still, it's a nice feature to have, especially the history-editing "curation" (AKA "hide your guilty pleasures and purge your browsing history").
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm missing something, Settings > My Sonos Settings, I have found and enabled the Additional Data Usage under Settings > Advanced Settings, I am signed in and I am on 10.1 on my Android tablet.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

My Sonos - Now Showing Recently Played Music

To enable and manage, go to Settings > My Sonos Settings. You’ll need to sign in to your account in the Sonos App. This feature requires some activity information to be collected as outlined in an updated Sonos Privacy Statement. Recently Played can be turned off in the same My Sonos Settings.

Where can I find this new option in the desktop controller?
Stanley, I found that in order for it to show up properly, I actually had to kill my app, and reboot it. It didn't do the normal sequence (I think) of killing the app and restarting it on its own. This is on iOS.

I was trying to follow the instructions in the email, and was really confused, until I killed and rebooted. I was about to send Ryan a snarky PM, but now you've forced me to admit my own mistake 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
As Airgetlam suggested, try force quitting the app.

This feature isn't available on the desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos and only lists your Sonos Favorites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I found my answer after reading Ryan's post more thoroughly. duh! 😛
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Nice overdue feature but why is recently played not available on PC / Mac? Another nail in the coffin for the desktop controller?
Ryan answered that question 2 posts before yours.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I was trying to express disappointment that a feature has been added to the Sonos ecosystem but that the feature is not available in the desktop controller. I appreciate that Sonos have made the feature part of "My Sonos" which is not available on the desktop but going down that rabbit hole just raises the question why is "my Sonos" not available on the desktop
Badge +2

Alexa app improvements

Within the Alexa app, voice-enabled Sonos players will now show as one device in Alexa app. You'll be able to see the microphone’s status, which assistant is in use, and easier view of the devices.

Hi Ryan, can you please expand on this? I had to de-register and delete then re-discover my sonos players for them to show as only one device under the app. However I cannot see any microphone status nor assistant type in use (what exactly does this mean prep for Google Home I wonder?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi mark, I've been looking into this and it seems that those changes have been done in the back end but doesn't look like it's present in the app visibly right now. You can see the devices all together though. I've removed the other things from the release notes above to prevent any future confusion. The Alexa app doesn't update at the same time as the Sonos app, so some things take a little time to role out, along with their timelines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Two different Samsung Android tablets, updated - nothing, forced stop - nothing, rebooted - nothing, removed and reinstalled - nothing. Not my day.

Diagnostic 282271047
Might be better to start a new topic for this, Stanley.

OTOH, did you double check that your speakers had been updated with the new firmware?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Checked that first off, well right after verifying the controller had really updated. If Ryan doesn't have an idea from the diagnostic a new topic to get it fixed would be good.
I applied the update not realizing it breaks ios9 support on my ipad 3 which i use as a now playing screen/remote. I understand that newer versions of the app might need newer ios versions but why would that break an old app unless the sonos api was overhauled? Are there any 3rd party apps on ios 9 and are they still compatible?
Not a coder, but there may be things included in the new update that require support from a newer version of iOS.
Badge +2
Hi mark, I've been looking into this and it seems that those changes have been done in the back end but doesn't look like it's present in the app visibly right now. You can see the devices all together though. I've removed the other things from the release notes above to prevent any future confusion. The Alexa app doesn't update at the same time as the Sonos app, so some things take a little time to role out, along with their timelines.

Thanks for the clarification, this makes sense. Seeing all devices in a group as one is good for now, this was always quite confusing as surround speakers would show as offline previously. Will look forward to future updates in the alexa app to see the other changes.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This feature isn't available on the desktop controller as it doesn't have access to My Sonos and only lists your Sonos Favorites.

It's a shame.
New update and Calm Radio link is broken. So sad.