SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We all hope but no signs yet.
So glad to see people signing up to complain about the recent changes. I do hope a Sonos take note but they are remaining silent on the issue.
signed up just for this... the way the whole queue gets easily and totally replaced in the new controller app is, in my opinion: not serious, dangerous, shows disregard and disrespect for what I thought were core Sonos design guidelines, shows loss of focus on what really matters... very sad indeed... I hope somebody sees the real issue here and the whole thing gets back on track soon... cheers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Chris, thank you so much. I've just downloaded sonophone from sonophone.de and it works how it should. I can set it to 'always ask' which is just like the older 6.3.2 software. If Stefan can do this why can't Sonos. I think this is £2.29 well spent, after all it's saved me dumping the sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I tend not to share thencontroller as much or use one of the third party apps for them like sonospad
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yep, they have really screwed up this time. I use to show off the Sonos and convert friends over to it but now its a bit embarrassing the way the current track is interrupted with the one touch play. Will put any further speakers on hold and get some demos from other brands in the new year. A very disappointed, loyal customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And seriously heos app ... or say the heos links to other product native app. Talk about the opposite of an all in one app control like Sonos version 4.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I always like the arbitrary threats I'm taking my stuff and going home. We are users too here we aren't the company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Version 4. Wow he wants to go way back. And he will find nothing even close to the sort with he is. Btw the desktop version are still the old version 4 type interface for those who like it.
Instead of adjusting your thinking to a modern interface? Good luck to you.
Welcome to three years ago. Take a few minutes and work with it... you'll get used to it. It's quite enjoyable.

I have tried, but the new controller app is pure crap. The old one had everything in one view. Also the music library now need several more clicks before it is accessible.

As we didn't need any new feature, we didn't care to "upgrade" before now. What an error. No new useful feature, and a severely downgraded UI.

Looking at HeOS.
Welcome to three years ago. Take a few minutes and work with it... you'll get used to it. It's quite enjoyable.
I "upgraded" from version 4 to the new version 7.

What an error!

The new versions user interface is close to unuseable.

There should be an option to go back to the old and perfectly usable version 4.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe I mentioned months ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Has anyone stopped to consider how Amazon Alexa integration will impact the new play functionality. I assume asking Alexa for a song will erase the queue. If queue is edited she will prompt you with a warning? I can only assume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The new play methodology is a mess
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Chris I agree the the loss of universal search is not ideal and the design of the interface is not as slick as Sonos but for me I feel that these limitations are tolerable compare to to how strongly I dislike the new play functionality. The likelihood of unlikely outcomes is significantly reduced. To each his own.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@Alan. Where things are inserted into the queue needs more work. To my mind, this a move forward change that needs supporting.

Exactly. I think I understand what Sonos are trying to do, and I'm generally in favour. Incorporating a queue adds complications over an old-fashioned CD/iTunes-style UI, but Sonos were doing pretty well up to version 6.3 with the context-aware relationship between the play button and the queue. It should be super-easy to just find stuff and play it with the minimum number of button presses and have the queue work in an intuitive manner. But Sonos aren't there yet, and don't seem to be prioritising fixing bugs / UI / UX issues with the core product, which is a multi-room all-your-sources albums/playlists/tracks/whatever music player that "just works".
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonospad provides options but no universal search and frankly I'm not a fan of the interface in general. Talk about being different for people coming to your house. Instead of their normal controller you ask them to use another controller so they don't override your music. A controller they would have to pay for to put on their phone. Yea that doesn't make sense ... vs a toggle to protect the queue. Sure new users may not know the difference in the way it used to work ... they also may not show the loyalty previous users did.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Then you get two polarised sets of users IMO.
A big complaint is about when people throw parties. Some guests are likely to have Sonos. Which version will they try to use - back to babysitting, as some have called it, your guests.

The current system needs more work on it to iron out some of the wrinkles. Why not seek to improve the current experience rather than being firmly stuck in the, controversial in its own right, past and be positive about direction.

Wouldn't, say, an undo button (for just one movement forward, be of more benefit than toggles.

I honestly don't understand this talk about "polarized groups". That casts an unnecessary negative cloud on a request to customize. I have no issue using the queue in my preferred way and you doing the same. For me to understand your point you need to present the argument for the downside in allowing different use cases. I personally see no concern. SonoPad presented 4 queue management options - I picked one and scarcely think about what the persons may be doing. This would be to create a problem where none really exists. But again please explain what is the real issue with the customization you are seeing.

Please use "different" instead of polarised. That is my point for the downside. You will have two users not understanding what the other is saying because one is old way and the other isn't. Take the party as an oft used example, some of the users will be the old way and some new. Is that confusing? Or will the dreaded babysitting be required for those new users. Toggles require future changes to be compliant with those toggles but at some point they will not be viable, and I can't see Sonos, or any other company, willing to spend a lot of money maintaining toggles for an exceedingly small number of users.

New customers will know no different. Those users arriving in a discussion which is using old terms serves only to confuse, and maybe that would be a polarising force and maybe dilute the help process on this forum.

Sonopad is a paid for third party app that will bend, sway and do pirouettes to keep the money coming in. That the app provides the required control the case for toggles in Sonos is defeated by the existence of an excellent app that will do what you want. And with absolutely no confusion between users - possibly between Sonopad users...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Alan. Where things are inserted into the queue needs more work. To my mind, this a move forward change that needs supporting.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I was sure I had answered this somewhere but I can't find it. What happens is that the end of playing a queue, no matter where those tracks came from, the focus of the player rotates back to the first song so that you can restart what was playing with just the push if a button. The downside, is that if you then go to add an album/track/playlist using Play Now, the focus is still at track 1, so these get added at track 2 and beyond.

We've been sure to pass on the feedback that this can be a negative experience to the team so they know to take a look into.

I keep seeing phrases like "tap to play", and I keep trying to reconcile the intentions of Sonos with the current reality of their software. I have a big problem with the current "insert into stopped queue" functionality, because while it's a small thing, it's everything. I can see the logic in hitting "play" and having your selection inserted into a playing queue, but when the queue is expired, an insert makes little sense, you want a "clear and play" or an "append and play". Depends whether the queue is meant to be a persistent (like Sonos 6.3) or ephemeral thing. The fact that the "play" buttons alternate between "insert" and "clear" on different screens suggests Sonos can't decide on queue lifetime. I can deal with the queue being a fleeting thing and losing the ability to check "what was that song I heard yesterday?". Having to manually force-clear the queue just to get "play now" to work correctly is a pain.

Assuming users weren't really crying out for a "play this followed by the last 17 of 18 tracks I played yesterday" button (which is what Sonos currently gives as a default), then the "insert into stopped queue" bug may be as simple as Sonos not differentiating between an expired queue (played-to-end-flag hit or play position is reset to track 1 0:00) and a paused/stopped queue (pause button hit, play position is one or more tracks/seconds into the queue).

A response from Sonos would be nice. I might go an play with iTunes/Spotify desktop controllers to see if they're as broken, to try and understand where Sonos are coming from.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Then you get two polarised sets of users IMO.
A big complaint is about when people throw parties. Some guests are likely to have Sonos. Which version will they try to use - back to babysitting, as some have called it, your guests.

The current system needs more work on it to iron out some of the wrinkles. Why not seek to improve the current experience rather than being firmly stuck in the, controversial in its own right, past and be positive about direction.

Wouldn't, say, an undo button (for just one movement forward, be of more benefit than toggles.

I honestly don't understand this talk about "polarized groups". That casts an unnecessary negative cloud on a request to customize. I have no issue using the queue in my preferred way and you doing the same. For me to understand your point you need to present the argument for the downside in allowing different use cases. I personally see no concern. SonoPad presented 4 queue management options - I picked one and scarcely think about what the persons may be doing. This would be to create a problem where none really exists. But again please explain what is the real issue with the customization you are seeing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But to those users that want to disable that the n their own have home it can be easily explained as being in a secure mode to avoid music interruption. If someone wants it in a secure mode it can be their option. I think lack of personalization will eventually become more of a hindrance to Sonos sales vs an asset.