Sonos alarm/clock - display the time

• 8 November 2012
  • 66 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 1

...and to keep the thread alive:

I also had the idea of a smart clock for the bedroom and luckily found this idea already listed :\

Here are some ideas from my side:

• Definitely needs a battery backup in case of power loss
  • Smart (preferably light white) LED display with adjustable brightness, LCD with backlight sucks, as mentioned above)
  • Doesn't need to be as big as the Play:1/3, but same form factor would be nice, too
  • Doesn't need to be as powerful as the Play:1/3, I wannabe waked up, not scared  - thus a slow increase of the volume would be nice (already listed in one of the above comments)
I guess, that's it. When can I beta test the new alarm clock or place my order?

Dear Sonos team, we appreciate your announcement of the new hardware! 

I'd buy one. And if you added a decent tuner, and perhaps a CD player, it becomes a line in for the rest of the sonos components around the house.
...and to keep the thread alive:

I also had the idea of a smart clock for the bedroom and luckily found this idea already listed :\

Here are some ideas from my side:

• Definitely needs a battery backup in case of power loss
  • Smart (preferably light white) LED display with adjustable brightness, LCD with backlight sucks, as mentioned above)
  • Doesn't need to be as big as the Play:1/3, but same form factor would be nice, too
  • Doesn't need to be as powerful as the Play:1/3, I wannabe waked up, not scared  - thus a slow increase of the volume would be nice (already listed in one of the above comments)
I guess, that's it. When can I beta test the new alarm clock or place my order?

Dear Sonos team, we appreciate your announcement of the new hardware! 
Userlevel 1
I had the same feeling, nice size but no clock... for me a very simple 7 segment display would do (preferably red). NO LCD, as I had this on a streaming device (Tangent Quattro MK II) and with the backlight level set to 1 still way to much light but not able to read it, with backlight set to 3 good to read, but also able to read a book. Good replacement for the Play 3 I currently have on my bedside table it is a bit big. 2 of these will do really nice.
Sonos 1: almost there - but where's the clock?
Put me down for at least 3!
Yes, it should have 2 alarms, too, like the Bose Wave radio. And here are more ideas for you: . configurable as a stereo pair (think his & hers units) . configurable as video surround speakers for our bedroom TV. . battery back-up feature (power does go out here overnight from time-to-time) C'mon Gordon, you can do this!! Bring 'our' ideas to the planning meeting. We're counting on YOU!!! Thanks 😉
I'll $$$$$$$$$$$$ BUY (at least) ONE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Expanding, a little. In software, the alarm could be made to start at a low volume playing from just the clock unit. Slowly, it could then start playing from other units in the same room and increase in volume. A very gentle wake-up. Or just blast the entire house at full volume. Reveille!
Absolutely! It doesn't have to be fancy or conflict with your minimalist design paradigm. It just needs to be a solid alarm clock: a clock I can read while I'm half asleep, a snooze button I can use while I'm half awake, and some form of battery-powered backup so I'm not late for work when the power goes out. The "off button" can be in software-- if I'm getting up I won't mind that, and would probably be checking email, anyway.
Agree. Would be nice and does not to be made complex. Simply need a snooze bar/button on top of the standard buttons and, of course, a nice display that show the actual time and if an alarm is active.
I bought a Play:3 to use bedside and planned to used the alarm feature to replace my old alarm clock. However, the lack of snooze feature and clock display made me relocate the Play:3 elsewhere in the house and bring back my alarm clock. I would LOVE to have a Play:clock 🙂 or something like this. Would probably buy a couple of them, two for me and my wife, and another 2 for my kids. I could see an modified Play:3 or even the upcoming Play:1 (I saw that FCC label!!) Please sonos, make it happen!
+1. Not a Sonos customer yet, still glued to my Squeezebox. I've been wanting a reason to switch, but I just can't do without a physical clock. I want to actually know when I'm late, no finding my cell phone, no walking, a place I know where I can find the current time. I get this plus the internet radio features with my Squeezebox. I've been wanting to try Sonos, but I just can't replace my Squeezebox with no clock.
Userlevel 1
Same here, will buy 2. Thw wife and me, when playing group and have stereo 🙂
This really seems like a no brainier. I'd love, no LOVE, to be able to replace the old alarm clock radio on my bedside and in my bathroom with a sonos "clock" component!!!
Absolutely! It doesn't have to be fancy or conflict with your minimalist design paradigm. It just needs to be a solid alarm clock: a clock I can read while I'm half asleep, a snooze button I can use while I'm half awake, and some form of battery-powered backup so I'm not late for work when the power goes out. The "off button" can be in software-- if I'm getting up I won't mind that, and would probably be checking email, anyway.
Is this under consideration... or has it fallen off the end of the list?
Hi,
I looked into a way to install a play:3 as an alarm clock.
I got stuck at some points and wondered if you could consider making an alarm clock player.
Here are the features I lacked:
- It should have a nice clock, with a controllable light density.
- It should be possible to set of a scheduled alarm.
- you should be able to see the next alarm time on the screen.
- It would be nice if the sound could fade in (adjustable).
- Link a playing list or radio station to the alarm feature.

Thanks for listening,
and keep up the good work!
A big Sonos fan from Belgium.
Tom This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled alarm clock player.