SO SO disappointed with SONOS, APPS absolutely useless, which makes the system useless

• 12 August 2020
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

So, you’re not familiar with duplicate IP addresses being handed out by router’s that are in a bad state? Certainly that can happen, even if you haven’t changed your network in any way. And it doesn’t require Wi-Fi, IP addresses are used by both Wi-Fi and wired devices in a network. Sonos, due to the fact that they soft reboot during the software update (just like a computer does when you update its OS) and results in a request for a new IP address from your router. If they receive a duplicate IP address, then there are all sorts of potential issues. Since the fault is in the router, which is responding to a simple IP request from Sonos, the Sonos System has no way of knowing that the router has given them a bad address, and there’s no amount of software changes that Sonos can make to fix potential issues with the router.

In fact, it’s not uncommon for router’s to update their OS as well in the background, without notifying you, depending on the settings available in their software. Again, you didn’t change anything in your network, but your network changed, none the less.

And we haven’t even gotten in to wifi interference, and all of the potential external influences that can affect it.

Feel free to blame Sonos if you want, but be aware that in the grand majority of cases, Sonos is not at fault. And I’ve been using S2 since it came out, on 19 devices, with zero issues. 

1. Products always work in a normal home network environment.
    What’s “normal” ? My wifi did not change but Sonos started acting up 
  2. If you have problem downloading Sonos apps and connecting to new Sonos speakers in the first instance, please immediately return the product as the product is not suitable for you or your home network.
    I have had it for years and only started having issues recentty and NO nothing changed with my network.
  3. If you choose to keep the Sonos product, please ensure you are able to articulate the issues by writing down the What / Where / When / How observations.
    I believe I am fairly articulate when speaking with tech support (very nice people by the way) but they are dealing with a very unstable product (as of late… it used to be great with no issues at all)
  4. We are here to help, if you want to get help.
    I know and thank you for that but there are some basics that need to be addressed. Are you keeping tabs on the increase of issues in the past year or so?
  5. There is no age restrictions but if you are not mature in your way of thinking it is not suitable for you, … at all. 
    This comment is not mature. Just fix the product please.
  6.  Sonos occasionally have softwares update and if you have issue, please see point 1. 
    My Sonos is fully up to date tey it keeps having issues.

Cheers.

Sonos used to be great now it’s jammed with issues I never used to have before. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with a very nice technician but the issues persist. The company keeps blaming it on people’s wifi set up. I am sorry but needing to update my Music Library every day is not a wifi issue it’s a sonos issue. Or speakers suddenly disappearing and having to spend 2 hours trying to reconnect them is not a wifi issue it’s a Sonos issue. Please get your act together !  The product used to be great until they started upgrading it all the time. Get the basics fixed because offering enhancements please! I am a Sonos believer but they are letting me down. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Haters will always hate. 

Lots of them are here to whinge in general and can’t even explain what is wrong with their system. How to help when they can’t even articulate the problem other than cry like a self entitled consumers who always claim to spend lots of money on many SONOS products - Why did they buy more than 1 when they have issue?

I think SONOS need to put some buyers restriction on their products. Example:-

*** Warning ***

1. Products always work in a normal home network environment. 
  2. If you have problem downloading Sonos apps and connecting to new Sonos speakers in the first instance, please immediately return the product as the product is not suitable for you or your home network.
  3. If you choose to keep the Sonos product, please ensure you are able to articulate the issues by writing down the What / Where / When / How observations.
  4. We are here to help, if you want to get help.
  5. There is no age restrictions but if you are not mature in your way of thinking it is not suitable for you, … at all. 
  6.  Sonos occasionally have softwares update and if you have issue, please see point 1. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not quite understand why so many people keep saying “App is useless”, “System is useless” or “Cannot use the system after updates” etc… Software? Hardware? Or networking problems?? Have been using the system for some 5 to 6 years with 16 SONOS devices, but really never found problems as serious as “system is not working and cannot be used” or so… Just curious.

Good question.  I also have a large system that I have used for nine years without a significant glitch.  It is worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of users who have zero issues don’t come onto the Forum.  It’s a place for problems, so you get a very distorted view.

Complaints that the app is useless usually stem from people misunderstanding the role of the app, which in reality is just a remote control.

Most of the ‘system is useless’ complaints are down to local networking and communication issues.  Not necessarily faults with the local network, just things that don’t gel well with Sonos, and need careful setting up.  That can still be immensely frustrating for the small number who experience constant difficulties, of course. 

Virtually everything is resolvable.

I think the transition to S1 / S2 has not been smooth for some users, and the process wasn’t as clearly set out by Sonos as it might have been.  This has created some genuine issues for some users lately.

Yes I totally agree that the community/forum is a place for problems and complaints, and I have read a lot of course… but just don’t understand why they have such problems and would like to learn more. Like what the problem they are having for the transition from S1 to S2? What’s wrong after the updates? 

Not quite understand why so many people keep saying “App is useless”, “System is useless” or “Cannot use the system after updates” etc… Software? Hardware? Or networking problems?? Have been using the system for some 5 to 6 years with 16 SONOS devices, but really never found problems as serious as “system is not working and cannot be used” or so… Just curious.

Good question.  I also have a large system that I have used for nine years without a significant glitch.  It is worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of users who have zero issues don’t come onto the Forum.  It’s a place for problems, so you get a very distorted view.

Complaints that the app is useless usually stem from people misunderstanding the role of the app, which in reality is just a remote control.

Most of the ‘system is useless’ complaints are down to local networking and communication issues.  Not necessarily faults with the local network, just things that don’t gel well with Sonos, and need careful setting up.  That can still be immensely frustrating for the small number who experience constant difficulties, of course. 

Virtually everything is resolvable.

I think the transition to S1 / S2 has not been smooth for some users, and the process wasn’t as clearly set out by Sonos as it might have been.  This has created some genuine issues for some users lately.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Have you heard of eBay?  If you put it on there you will find plenty of people willing to pay good money to take it off your hands.