SMB v1 only ? 3000 $ network stereo, and I have to weaken my security for mp3 files?

• 13 September 2020
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

+1 to hoping for and requesting a fix

Badge

It's a clever workaround, but setting up a second home server with insecure settings shouldn't be the way to solve this. Sonos needs to fix this. I posted this in a similar thread as well, but will spread the word in the hope someone at Sonos is listening.

Sonos is lazy and irresponsible for not fixing the insecure method to add a media library. Sonos requires SMB v1 which is long considered outdated and insecure. This is not some fringe use case, adding a media library is a core functionality of any home streaming system.

PLEASE Sonos, show us you care about user security and fix SMB support for the music library.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’ve used an odorous hc1 with open media vault to set up a dedicated NAS for my music. It’s the only device on my network with smb1 also better than PC on all the time

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nobody has a guess about newer SMB versions, there was hope of something with the S2 release but nothing changed.

Easy way to do a share from your NAS without risking SMB v1 on it is a NAS to SMB v1 gateway. Here is how to do it on a Raspberry Pi, a Zero W will be good enough.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

There are instructions there for an SMB v1 Pi server too.