Question

Sleep timer in new app?

Userlevel 2

Is there still a sleep timer? If so, where?

thanks

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @DrMarcusBrow, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sleep timers are not currently in the Sonos App for iOS or Android and will return in a future update, however you can still create them with the desktop app.

To create a sleep timer, please use Windows or MacOS desktop app as a temporary workaround. Steps to do so are listed on our Set a sleep timer on Sonos support article.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No it doesn’t - you’ve gone backwards. 

Userlevel 3

Ditto. Why fix an app that worked perfectly well while removing one of its key functions? That’s the opposite of improvement folks. Isn’t a big part of the idea behind Sonos the degree of freedom it gives you? And now I have to go to my desktop to set a sleep timer? Pathetic. 

Userlevel 2

Very cross at this update. The sleep timer is the key feature we use and you’ve removed it with no warning. Very, very poor customer service.

Userlevel 2

I'm dismayed at this feature not being there. Instead of being able to pull myself to sleep, I now have to get up to go to my home office and set a sleep timer? How did this make sense when the app redesign was being discussed? 100% of people would use their phone - the device next to them when going to bed - to set the sleep timer

Userlevel 2

No sleep timer in new app!  Why? I can no longer use my system as I want. I will not be making any further purchases from you or recommend your products until this is rectified. 

Userlevel 1

I agree with other commenters. Removing the sleep timer is a mistake. Bring it back please. 

Userlevel 2

Seriously Sonos!! I just purchase my first Sonos device two weeks ago and started enjoying the app and now you have taken away features I just started enjoying. I'm definitely sharing my negative experience with everyone I know. 

Userlevel 2

The new app sucks! 

Userlevel 3

The new app sucks! 

I see no improvements of any kind, not to mention the ridiculous removal of the sleep timer. The app has never loaded well, it still doesn’t. My primary favorites are suddenly buried and when I try to play stations, really the only radio station I tune in theses days, it balks and balks and I have to keep attempting to open it. And it says a LOT, that we can assume the programmers who redesigned the app are NOT Sonos users, or they would’ve actually IMPROVED the app instead of making worse than ever.

Userlevel 3

And now I find that you cannot go to the album you are playing like you used to be able to do. I have a lot of music that I can’t identify specifically when shuffling from Plex. I used to go to the album to find all the details, another essential feature GONE. 🤨

Userlevel 1

What a ridiculous unforced error. Redesigns are fine but there was NO URGENCY. No reason not to wait to release until all major functions were implemented. This smacks of prioritizing internal performance reviews and “hitting ship dates” over customer satisfaction. Now I can’t use Sonos to put my kids to bed. 

Userlevel 1

Warn everyone NOT TO UPGRADE! Fortunately, my wife still has the old app and can set the sleep timer each night.

Userlevel 1

Not warning us when Sonos was fully aware presents a new reality about this company, and its ability to support its products, its interest in someone after they become a customer.  
Sonos themselves pretty much kicked our  trust in Sonos under the bus.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I like this sentiment to sum it all up 

“All this (justified) frustration...just remember folks, if Sonos was sorry about this, then 1) they would have apologised and 2) they’d have rolled the app back.

They haven’t done either.”

someone else posted it, but it’s a good status update 

Why remove the sleep function? What benefit can  there be for Sonos?!?!

Ridiculous!

This is really DUMB!

And what’s even more frustrating is that if you’re casting to a Sonos device that you can’t use the sleep settings in that services app!?!

Userlevel 2

The BBC Sounds app worked using Airplay to my Sonos speaker.

Userlevel 1

The BBC Sounds app worked using Airplay to my Sonos speaker.

But can you set the sleep timer in the app?

Userlevel 2

Not in the Sonos app but the one in the BBC Sounds app works so I can listen to Sounds whilst going to sleep on my Sonos speaker and it will stop after a preset time.

Badge

Agree with the frustration here. It was the one feature I used literally every single day. My guess (hope?) is that they are trying to fix it, because setting the timer almost never “took” the first time.

I don’t love having to shout at my speaker before going to bed, but you can tell Alexa to stop after X hour(s) and she will set a sleep timer. It’s an easy work-around until the functionality is restored. 

It’s kind of interesting to see how bad Sonios can make the user experience. At this point I’ve stopped using one of my speakers anyway, as it is just too painful to try and get working. With the lack of sleep update it’s getting towards abandoning another one.

In case anyone is interested, if you set something using the API you can set the sleep timer. In Android I have a button that pings a computer to set it. It works but it’s a silly workround. I’m using NodeRed to do the Sonos API side, if you have a raspberry pi running HA or similar it may be worth checking. If you don’t - then yeah, this is another case of Sonos removing functionality for no good reason (I guess like the ‘old’ S1 app, which I assume isn’t updated, so with older speakers you may be able to use that).

What on earth. A basic sleep timer has to be among the more commonly/frequently used features for a significant proportion of customers. Who approved pushing out an app without such a basic function? 

You need to hire a new software product manager. Pathetic implementation of a new UI.