Question

Simply want it to play next track

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

You know you can add entire playlists or albums at once, right?
Okay, so I've now seen that some are writing that you can build Sonos playlist from your queues - in which, funny enough, the logic works as you'd expect it to (selecting a song in that playlist automatically plays the next when finished etc). That's fine and all, but I'm listening to Spotify all day when not near my Sonos system, daily editing and creating playlists in Spotify. Then I manually have to add these tracks to my Sonos playlists as well? Not optimal, in my opinion..
Just purchased a play:5 and play:1 - absolutely love the speakers... Until I realised how the queue system works. Working with UX /UI design myself I'm probably more picky than most people. But I'm seriously considering returning my Sonos system due to this missing feature. I've already created my playlists in Spotify, why in the world should I manually build a queue every single time I want to play music?? If the song I'm selecting is on a album or playlist and I haven't manually started building a queue / why not just assume the remaining songs are the 'queue' I want?! For a system that's otherwise built so well around convenience and good sound, this is extremely clunky in my opinion! There has got to be a way of solving this so everyone is happy! For now I'll try to live with this and wait for Sonos to come up with a solution, but otherwise I'll guess I have to resort to another system that plays directly from Spotify..
Badge
MikeV - why does there have to be a fundamental choice (queue vs. play from here)? As consumers/fans we should Have the option to use either method.

Really? Why? What other music playing software or hardware gives you that choice? I can't think of any and I've used quite a few.

Logitech's Squeezebox system, which I'm still using in 3 rooms, gives you that choice. By default, selecting a track starts play from here, but a long press enables add to queue.

I've had a pair of Play 1's in the kitchen for a year now and every day I wish the playback system worked like my Squeezeboxes. I'm not a programmer but can it really be that hard to enable a "queue from here" option?
So you expect the user to add each track they want to hear one at at time from a feed? Totally manual solution. Select a track let Sonos do the work. If you use Soundcloud directly it works this way.

I know it does, it's bloody irritating, that's why I try to avoid using it directly. I pretty much only use it via Sonos for that reason. Besides, pretty much every level on soundcloud on Sonos has an "All tracks" option, add them all to the queue and then start playing from the point you want, it's that big a deal.
I have a friend who approaches an album as a complete work of art that should not be modified. There is no concept of "track", only full albums.

I think that the early music players were attempting to emulate records and CD's which contained a single spiral of music and were intrinsically "Play from here". I never appreciated this with tapes, records and CD's and this was a major reason that I rejected all of the early digital players. I spent a few minutes with an iPod and was shocked at illogical it was -- after hearing all of the gushing "easy" comments from the media. I am not technically shy, but I sat out the digital music revolution until SONOS. The Queue was a major attraction for me. I'm also a RPN calculator fan. If you want to see someone struggle with technology catch me attempting to use a four function calculator.

A problem for me with the "Play from here" is what happens next? After the album finishes should the music stop or continue with the next album in the library index? From the same artist? Genre? Year? Record label? Why would one want to skip the first 'n' tracks from an album and never the last 'n' tracks?

For me this is all very straight forward with the Queue.

Have you tried the multi-select and drag feature on the Windows Desktop controller? This is a really fast way to build Queues that can then be saved as playlists.
So you expect the user to add each track they want to hear one at at time from a feed? Totally manual solution. Select a track let Sonos do the work. If you use Soundcloud directly it works this way. Same for any album or playlist. Sonos should just automatically place the next song in the queue for you until you select another song from another source/list. That's why we write code. Take out the manual non-value add work.
Please offer continue play option! If a second or third controller picks a song from another source or playlist then they take over. What's the big deal. This is super painful for Soundcloud where there really isn't a playlist or beginning or end. Just a track and a next track and so on. I have to keep my phone on me all the time playing tracks with Sonos and forget parties if you want to steam from Soundcloud.

I don't get your point, add the soundcloud tracks to the queue, they will play continuously, I do this frequently.
Please offer continue play option! If a second or third controller picks a song from another source or playlist then they take over. What's the big deal. This is super painful for Soundcloud where there really isn't a playlist or beginning or end. Just a track and a next track and so on. I have to keep my phone on me all the time playing tracks with Sonos and forget parties if you want to steam from Soundcloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Nice to see the conversation flaring back up here on the topic. One big thing to keep in mind in regards to Sonos functionality in general is how the players all play music mostly controller independent. That's one of the big reasons there's a queue. If you tell Sonos to play a track using one controller, you can continue to control every function of the system with a different controller at any time.

That said, controller #1 has no way of knowing what part of the menu structure controller #2 is on, or what it's doing. If controller #1 tells the players to play a track, controller #2 will show that track in the queue, and playing, but until that happens, nothing has changed. If that track came from a playlist, the players don't care, and other controllers don't know.

This is why simply using one controller to tell the system to play and expect the whole playlist to go in order would require a pretty substantial change in functionality.

Perhaps a way around this is the suggested "Play from here" where it adds that track and the rest to the queue. Maybe one day we'll have something else that is completely different, but handles similarly. Such as an API built into the music service where an option when playing a track from within a playlist or album starts something akin to a station (radio stream) with a playlist of what comes next. Though this would cause trouble because that playlist would be hidden from controllers, at least based on how things work now.

I'm not one to randomly speculate on what the future holds, there're just too many possibilities. But really great discussion everyone, and thanks for the feedback.
I can't argue with a "Play from here" option (though if Sonos implemented every option people have proposed here, the Play Options list would be 40 choices long). However, you gave an option as "queue vs. play from here", which I assume eliminates the queue from the equation. As I said, this would require a rewrite of the architecture.
Grear scenario, you don't like next song but it automatically plays, thus you need to pick up the device and either stop, or pick another track. This is what I have to do everytime I pick a song in the middle of a playlist. When that song ends, I've got to grab my device and select something else to play. So I COMPLETELY understand how frustrating it is.

To be clear, I think dropping the queue feature for what I prefer helps no one. It would make some happy and discourage others. We'd be in the same spot. I think both options should/are possible.

Going back to your frustration with auto playing next track, which could annoy me. Why can't you add that one track to your queue? That's what I'm being forced to do in this interface.
JonnyUtah, so what happens in your scheme when I just want to listen to one track and then decide what to do afterwards but I can't stop it carrying on playing the next track whether I want it to or not. That would drive me nuts, has done a few times in the paste in fact when djing and someone shoves an iPhone in my face and says "play this!", so I play it and instead of stopping at the end it carries on, infuriating!

Play from here makes sense, i don't have to use it but changing everything so it automatically follows on, end of story for me, the lot goes on eBay and I find something else to use, it's that much of a big deal for me.
Jgatie - Most "non-queue" proponents seem to be looking for one thing, if you pick a track halfway through a playlist, when that track ends, play the next track automatically. I have some experience, remember I'm only 12yrs old, in programming. The ability to automatically play the next track shouldn't undermine/destroy the supreme architecture of the entire Sonos system.

And Sonos SHOULD care what its customers want they are in business. Limiting options limits the ability of your product to reach all types of consumers. The ideology that "this is how we do it, don't like it find something else" is not a trait of a successful business. "Hey we only use light starch on shirts, you don't like it, find another dry cleaner".

It shocks me how big of deal this is. I don't want to take away your precious ability to use the queue feature, just automatically play the next song on a playlist no matter where I play my first track.
Not exactly the same thing but in the Spotify app for IOS, you can pick a song anywhere on a playlist, when that songs ends the next one begins to play. Spotify also gives users the option of "add to Queue" from within a playlist or album. I've never used this function but I just looked and its listed.

My apologies. To clarify, I'm using the term "play from here" and the ability of a playlist to automatically advance as the same thing. I'd prefer that a "play from here" option wouldn't be needed (hence auto advance) but that seems like a popular solution on this thread.
MikeV - why does there have to be a fundamental choice (queue vs. play from here)? As consumers/fans we should Have the option to use either method.

Really? Why? What other music playing software or hardware gives you that choice? I can't think of any and I've used quite a few.
MikeV - why does there have to be a fundamental choice (queue vs. play from here)? As consumers/fans we should Have the option to use either method. Should be strictly user pref. We are all right bc its our pref.

Sonos was designed to use a queue. It is a fundamental element in the Sonos architecture. To give you the "option" to do it your way, they would have to completely redesign the entire system, and that's not going to happen. So though you may think it "right bc it is (y)our pref." (I got a 12 year old to translate that for me, btw!), reality is it is Sonos' design, and if it is not "right" for you, there are others out there which meet your needs (Airplay is one).
MikeV - why does there have to be a fundamental choice (queue vs. play from here)? As consumers/fans we should Have the option to use either method. Should be strictly user pref. We are all right bc its our pref.

The steps you outlined, adding to queue etc., are just that additional STEPS. If I've done the "work" in Spotify to create my playlists, why should I essentially repeat those steps by adding to a queue?

There times when I feel like hearing a specific grouping of songs on my Spotify created playlist. This grouping may be 10 songs into the master playlist. Unless I take additional steps and add those songs to my sonos queue, I have to manually advance to the next song. So frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To me, the simple solution is... select "All Tracks" at the top of the album listing or playlist, add everything in the album or playlist to the queue, then go to the queue and select the song you want to listen to. Voila, all is great, and you'll hear the rest of the album or playlist following that song. Yes, it's a couple more taps (unless you're using the Windows or Mac controller software), but I'll live.

I prefer the queue and am not a fan of the "select one song and play everything after it" mentality, especially for albums (for playlists, I can accept it since you're selecting a song from a list that you've created). There are plenty of times that I just want to hear one song and that's it.
"This Track Forward" makes perfect sense as an extra line option when you click and hold the track. Right now I see
Play Now
Play Next
Add to Queue
Replace Queue
More ....

Should be very easy to insert an option between Play Now & Play Next - "Play This Track Forwards"

No big complex issues, surely?
Oh, & FWIW (perhaps not much, I have only been an owner for a short time!).....I don't think we should ask to remove the queue, it is a simple way to build a playlist as you go along!

thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I still get "You are not authorized to access this page.
Sorry, you have no access to this page."

If it's still not working it should forward you here: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/get-rid-the-queue-5652422
I still get "You are not authorized to access this page.

I really hope we see some improvement to the queue handling and also which track it plays. I would appreciate it playing from the actual play-lists within the Spotify part of the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There's an Idea thread here on getting rid of the queue which you can take a look at too.

Well, that's helpful - not...

"You are not authorized to access this page.

That thread hadn't been categorized on the new community yet so the link wasn't working. It should be all set now.
There's an Idea thread here on getting rid of the queue which you can take a look at too.

Well, that's helpful - not...

"You are not authorized to access this page.
My vote is to keep the Queue as it is.

If you want to operate in the CD emulation mode, simply "Replace Queue" with your CD, then select the starting track.