Show some courage Sonos... Withdraw the new App

• 6 October 2017
  • 41 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Oh jeez. :8

Profound comment. Thanks for the input.

Profound comment. Thanks for the input.

I supply what is fitting. You are quite welcome. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
No going back sorry

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying the new app. I hope you'll give it some time, as it's fewer clicks to play your favorites (and do most things) now.

We tested with thousands of customers to make sure it was going to allow people to get their music playing faster (and easier to group rooms, etc.). We're confident it's a step in the right direction so I hope you'll give it a chance.

Best Regards,
Patrick
______

Patrick Spence
Sonos | Chief Executive Officer | patrick.spence@sonos.com

If it is quicker with the new app will you please prove and explain that to the majority of us who are finding it more fiddly and more steps to be able to do things. I've mentioned this before but I've been writing commercial software for over 30 years now and so I'm not thick, but I'm struggling with this new app. I'm also struggling at the moment how anyone involved with it could have thought that it was good enough for Sonos.

I liked the previous version of the app right from the start so there's either some serious miscommunication going on here and we are all using it wrongly or Sonos are deluding themselves.

I liked the previous version of the app right from the start so there's either some serious miscommunication going on here and we are all using it wrongly or Sonos are deluding themselves.

The last major UI update caused a much larger kerfluffle. Dozens of whiners back then. This thread is nothing in comparison, lol.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
There's a great opportunity for third party developers to provide a good alternative UI.

Does anyone know if Sonopad still works for IOS?

Is there an equivalent Android offering?

Sorry JohnG666 its unlikely to fix your NAS issue
There's a great opportunity for third party developers to provide a good alternative UI.

Sorry JohnG666 its unlikely to fix your NAS issue

Just checked out SonoPad and it still exists. The developer still maintains the app. It was last updated last July. I just bought the app for €1.09. Works like a charm on my iPad. I feel immediately at home on it. It's not perfect, but it feels nicer than the current Sonos controller app.

Thanks for the tip, Lozboz!
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Cheers. I might give that a go myself.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
It might be worth telling Sonos how much better it is!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
just as an update and to post something more positive than I have been doing over the last few days!!

I'm still not pleased with the new version of the app due to reasons I've already outlined but I am more pleased with Sonos as a company. I'm currently in conversation with a couple of people from Sonos and with their support team.

Because these people have taken the time to reply to my emails I am feeling more like a valued customer and I'm starting to believe that things might get sorted so that the majority of us will be happy again.

I have a bit of a workaround for my problems with the app which, whilst not ideal, do allow me to continue using the app (with fingers crossed for a better version to come 🙂 )
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
just as an update and to post something more positive than I have been doing over the last few days!!

I'm still not pleased with the new version of the app due to reasons I've already outlined but I am more pleased with Sonos as a company. I'm currently in conversation with a couple of people from Sonos and with their support team.

Because these people have taken the time to reply to my emails I am feeling more like a valued customer and I'm starting to believe that things might get sorted so that the majority of us will be happy again.

I have a bit of a workaround for my problems with the app which, whilst not ideal, do allow me to continue using the app (with fingers crossed for a better version to come 🙂 )

That's encouraging news.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sadly SONOS have enough on trying to get the buggy voice integration software stable and addressing users being disappointed and underwhelmed by the lack of functionality.

The competition are almost upon them....

From CNET this morning...

Sonos executives must be looking at vast tech companies making smart speakers and resisting the urge to hum a dirge.

Amazon launched its latest Echos last week. Google on Wednesday presented its new Homes -- including a charmingly unattractive Max that claims to offer quite a boom. Then there's Apple, whose music-based HomePod comes to market in

Common sense would be to heed the adverse feedback on the new app and revert to the old version, which had few issues being raised. Or at least give the user the choice.

I know that 'Sonos knows best' is value often perceived by customers but carrying on regardless over this issue could be huge distraction and add to what must be a worrying time for the company.

Show some courage Sonos... Withdraw the new App

I feel I need to add some balance! I'm sure this will infuriate those that don't like/resist change, but....

The new app is great.
The voice integration is perfect.
Sonos have done a great job.

If you are experiencing issues, I'm sure they are working overtime to resolve them. Please, stick with it and stop yer moaning.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Sonopad still works on iOS 10 (yeah, I haven't upgraded to iOS 11 yet). Been jumping between that (for favourites) and Sonos (for browsing) recently. I should really check out the state of Zoneplay too.
absolutely hate the new interface. I loved Sonus for the old one, but if this doesn’t change, I am going to sell all of my Sonus units on eBay and move to a system with a better interface. Alexa et al may not have such good sound, but the UI is so much more important. What do you all recommend?
The new app has its flaws (more on that in a minute) but basically it is really simple to use. New things take a bit of getting used to. Most of those who have slammed the new app seem to have based their views on 2 minutes effort. The Sonos bar is key. I want to pick a room? Tap the Rooms button. Then a source? Tap Browse. The one inconvenience is that the bar doesn't appear on the Now Playing screen, but I hope that will change. But I just swipe down and there is the bar (and usually either the Rooms or Browse screen, saving me one of my button presses).

I came in this evening and in less than ten seconds of opening the app had my music library playing in the Living Room. How disastrous is that?

It is logically organised. Instead of a jumble of things on the main menu, Browse contains just sources (wish they had called it Sources), More contains the things I need much less often, like Settings and Setup. Search and Rooms are self evident. 'My Sonos' contains the things I have chosen myself and want to get at quickly. What is so ****** difficult?

Yes, the icons are too big. Yes the Sonos bar should be on EVERY screen. I'd like to see Playlists on the Browse screen and just selected playlists in My Sonos.

But come on guys. Get with it and make a bit of an effort. With a few tweaks this is going to be way better than 7.4. If you want to be left behind, that's your call.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
But come on guys. Get with it and make a bit of an effort. With a few tweaks this is going to be way better than 7.4. If you want to be left behind, that's your call.

Exactly (ish). With some tweaks this could be awesome (imagine if the "My Sonos" screen just showed all our favourites and all our playlists?). But it's not awesome. I don't judge software by "what the vendor wanted to ship". I go by what they actually shipped. Thankfully, there are workarounds (ignore "My Sonos" screen and browse for favourites or use 3rd party controller, avoid the mis-labeled "play" buttons, etc).