Answered

S2 possible on S1 hardware, if Sonos enable it?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

You can all defend the choice of a Company to EOL its product WELL before its EOL.

Thats fine.

Still Doesn’t change the fact that i have to throw away 80% of my current system to keep adding to it!

You may think its time to accept it, but i do not…...would you like pay for S2 compliant devices for me?

This was covered in laborious detail nearly 2 years ago when the S1/S2 split was first announced.

(56 pages)

(171 pages)

To try and re-open those arguments IMHO verges on trolling.

Users are free to split their systems into S1 and S2 if they choose. There are support articles for all this. S1 continues to be maintained.

You can all defend the choice of a Company to EOL its product WELL before its EOL.

Thats fine.

Still Doesn’t change the fact that i have to throw away 80% of my current system to keep adding to it!

You may think its time to accept it, but i do not…...would you like pay for S2 compliant devices for me?

So now stating objective facts about how the system actually works is “defending the choice”?  How about you disprove the facts we stated instead of hurling insults.  If you have objective proof that the app handles all functions, and the players are merely dumb boxes, I’d love to hear it.  Until then, keep your insults and accusations to yourself.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks all for your ideas. It is of course entirely possible that the story got confused from person to person. If I ever get a proper look at the system in question, I should hopefully be able to put that one to bed.

It’s also possible the original install was altered in some way such that S2 became possible without any special intervention. However, I doubt that to be true - anyone with any amount of Sonos, bought over several years has a few old devices and a few new ones - upgrades of several devices, even with the trade-in deals are likely to be expensive - that’s something you’d imagine the home owner would remember - and would unlikely be twisted into “they did it for free”.

It is also possible it’s a split S1/S2 system - although again, I suspect this is unlikely. That’s not something you’d do by accident, nor does it leave your system able to play music in every room while you make breakfast (unless you’re very lucky to be able to shuffle devices around just-so). Again, it feels like this is unlikely to have been misunderstood.

As for the question of “why would Sonos do this?” - well, that’s of course anyone’s guess. It’s been suggested that they could have made a version of their software which would naturally “downgrade” on older hardware. Evidently they chose not to do this, and by “cutting S1 loose” somewhat, they’ve disenfranchised some customers (apparently none reading this though). I don’t know if such a customer would have any legal claim against Sonos, but if they did, then it seems entirely feasible for Sonos to “fiddle” with an install so that it says it’s S2, but perhaps only operates with S1 features or some such. Since Sonos Support have given us an unequivocal “no” on the subject, if such a thing were to have taken place, it would certainly seem to be an “outlier”.

Lastly, for whomever it was asking for names, well, I heard it from Derek, and he was talking about Tim. Both dads at my kids school. I’m not sure how that helps, but there you go.

As I say, thanks all for your inputs - it’s been interesting. I’ll see if I can substantiate anything I asked about and report back.

Soo.… none of you KB warrior’s want to buy me new S2 gear to replace my prematurely EOL S1 Gear..……...Crickets.  Thought so.  jgatie - 22,677 comments vs 1421 solved...Seems like the trolls are not me, but you!  Or maybe ratty, similar stats - 28757 comments vs 1155 Solved, that’s .03% Solved.

Seems like you folk like to pick on the everybody who is not on UR page!

Its one thing to EOL a Product that’s actually EOL.  But the product still works with S1, so why not with S2 - One word   #$MONEY$

Not able to refute the facts, yet still here blustering. There's only one keyboard warrior in this thread, and it ain't the guys with the large post count.

jgatie - 22,677 comments vs 1421 solved...Seems like the trolls are not me, but you!  Or maybe ratty, similar stats - 28757 comments vs 1155 Solved, that’s .03% Solved.

This isn't apple to apples, so the percentages are completely defective/misleading. Many of our posts do not address problems calling for solutions.

jgatie - 22,677 comments vs 1421 solved...Seems like the trolls are not me, but you!  Or maybe ratty, similar stats - 28757 comments vs 1155 Solved, that’s .03% Solved.

This isn't apple to apples, so the percentages are completely defective/misleading. Many of our posts do not address problems calling for solutions.

@Kumar . I think you are mistaking @ITJAG  for someone who cares whether his comments are true or logical.

@Kumar . I think you are mistaking @ITJAG  for someone who cares whether his comments are true or logical.

Agreed, just my OCD kicking in...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for the response - and that was pretty much what I was expecting to be told. If what I heard was true though, with no disrespect intended, it’s unlikely to have come from Support - probably a few rungs further up the management ladder. I of course don’t expect Sonos to talk about this, but wondered if anyone in the community would care to comment?

ratty has already responded correctly, there is simply neither enough memory or CPU capabilities in the ‘legacy’ devices to run S2, no matter what your friend told you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

ratty has already responded correctly, there is simply neither enough memory or CPU capabilities in the ‘legacy’ devices to run S2, no matter what your friend told you. 

Graphic showing difference between S1 and S2 hardware: https://www.facebook.com/Phonos.application/photos/a.915560425121335/3373638859313467/

My guess would be that this rumor actually has some basis in fact, but as it was passed on from person to person, it got twisted into something that’s wholly incorrect.

There are several Sonos speakers that are capable of running on both S1 and S2 systems.  To name a few, play:1, Sonos One, playbar, play:5, play3, etc.  So yes, these speaker can be running on an S1 system, and then upgraded to run on a S2 system.  This is not a secret at all.  There are also some speakers that are only capable of running on S1, such as the old ZP devices and Connect and Connent:Amp made before a certain date (the exact date, I don’t recall).  There is no way that these legacy devices can operate in an S2 system.  Of course, Sonos newest products are S2 only.  

It’s entirely possible that someone alone the chain of this rumor misunderstood how it works, and possible little understanding of Sonos products at all and started claiming that any device can run on S2….that’s how they interpreted what they were told.  Indeed, there really isn’t any such thing S1 or S2 hardware, as S1/S2 designates the operating system, not hardware classification.  I don’t think there is any official hardware classifications that Sonos has made, as each product has different hardware with different capabilities, depending on it’s function and the price/availability of hardware at the time the product was released.  The closest I’ve heard is referring to S1 only devices as ‘legacy’ while everything else is ‘modern’.