Answered

S2 app dropped support for Android 7?

• 27 January 2021
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

The latest version upgrade of S2 12.2.4 has started to say that the OS on my Motorola G4+ phone Android 7.0 is no longer supported. It now no longer finds my Sonos Play:1 and Play:3 speakers in the app. The notification directs me to the Sonos website documentation that says that Andriod 7 is supported. I haven’t seen any announcements that Sonos is dropping support for Android 7. Why is this happening?

On a quick Google, the G4+ is upgradeable to at least Android 8.1.  So that might be a good idea anyway, as security fixes are no longer being provided on Android 7.

All please note.  It your device is capable of running a higher version than 7, you should be updating to that higher version, as Google has withdrawn support from v7 and so will no longer be providing security patches if you stay on v7.

Just as a general point, it isn’t Sonos who withdraw support from Android versions, it is Google.  Once they have ceased providing security fixes it becomes inevitable that sooner or later Sonos will be unable to maintain the app on that version securely.

So one month later and update version 13 has the same problem. OS on this device no longer supported.  Come on.

I am afraid support for Android 7 really has gone this time.  Or rather is now only partially supported.  What sort of message are you getting and under what circumstances?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You could try and roll back with APKMIRROR, if the speakers have upgraded their firmware I don't know how far you'd get though?.

I'm still on S1, works good enough for me.

Hey Frizzie I rec’d an email from support appologizing for my inconvenience with the Sub Gen 3 and it stated:

“ We did receive an update on this matter. We are having this issue with that Android version and that it should be fixed with a future software update. “

I was very happy with the reply except when I re-read it the word “should” stood out. 

I do need to buy a new phone but was planning on next year when 5G was more established. Right now I’m thinking of keeping the Sub. The only problem is if I keep the Sub and it’s defective I lose my window of opportunity to return it. 

It's Spotify Connect, and works more flawlessly than Sonos S2 haha, I use it all the time too, it's more convenient and speedy. 

Guys, this is a bug; has already been passed on to Support and Product Department.

A bug, but I’m coming from this topic :

To this one, because I had a similar warning on my Tab S2 8” that is running Android 7.0 (I though it was 6 to be frank). I use it at home like a remote control for a lot of thing and it’s working nicely that way. So why Sonos now depreciate the app ? Even with the warning, I’m sorry but it’s a 3 old OS, that’s not “that” old considering the newer OS. That Sonos launch a warning saying that they could be bug sometimes (Een if it’s already the case haha) on the depreciated app I’m okay with, but this planned obsolescence, sorry but that’s not the Sonos that I knew/bought and that’s mainly why I’ve stopped purchasing Sonos since 2 years to see where it will go. Not in the right direction in term of software imho. Make a full controller for Windows then instead of removing functions since S2 :/