S2 app and Qobuz Hi-Res

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Badge +2

That’s very helpful, thank you. Streaming directly through the S2 app rather than through AirPlay seems more stable anyway so I’ll use that from now on. 

With regard to chicks comment, I realise that I am completely out of my depth here but hasn’t AirPlay 2 significantly increased the playback over AirPlay 1 from 16 to 24? 

Thanks again, John Salmon

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Johnsalmon

Apologies - I re-read my reply and realised that what I meant to say is that there is no current way to tell if you’re getting 24bit sound, in the Sonos app. You can get 24bit streams from Qobuz via the Sonos S2 app, with the right subscription and compatible speakers.

There’s a thread here on 24bit AirPlay support: 

If I play Qobuz via AirPlay I can now get Hi-Res quality music, it tells me. If I go through the S2 App to Qobuz it doesn’t tell me if I am getting Hi-Res music - can you tell me if the S2 App is streaming Hi-Res music from Qobuz? Many thanks. John Salmon

AirPlay is not capable of 24-bit playback, it’s limited to 16 bits at 48Kbps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Johnsalmon 

Thanks for your post.

Not at this time, no, though you should be receiving 24bit sound if you have the correct subscription from Qobuz. I’ll mark this topic as a feature request and it will be considered.