Request for feedback: Shuffle

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

205 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
"shuffle play" is exactly what it sounds like - the playlist is shuffled, just like a deck of cards.  a playlist should NOT play in a random order, that could allow the same song to be repeated forever (although highly improbable).  the playlist is your deck of cards...  it should be shuffled in a RANDOM ORDER, and shuffled randomly EVERY TIME shuffle is selected.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Ben, 1 question. Why do you not have the "Official Rep" title like all the other Sonos employees? It certainly would add more weight to your question.

Anyway, I think User500327 above sums it up the best.  New random order each time you play a list or press the random icon, shuffle albums, and (not as important to me) show the queue in the order it plays.

While Ben is a Sonos employee, his account wasn’t flagged as such. We’ve changed his account to reflect that. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

To avoid confusion, we’re also going to direct the existing threads on this topic, here.
Ben, 1 question. Why do you not have the "Official Rep" title like all the other Sonos employees? It certainly would add more weight to your question.

Anyway, I think User500327 above sums it up the best.  New random order each time you play a list or press the random icon, shuffle albums, and (not as important to me) show the queue in the order it plays.

He's actually a spy for Denon HEOS and he's here to steal our ideas! I think shuffle should play the same song forever with no option to stop it.

Userlevel 2
Badge
I only have 1 requirement:
A different random order of the songs is created each time I turn on random, or create a new queue. So if I turn random off and then on again, Sonos creates a new random order.  I would also expect Sonos to play the entire queue before playing a song a second time.  I personally don't care if Sonos generates a new random order when playing the queue again.

Two desired features:

1. Be able to ask that either albums or songs be randomized.  For albums, Sonos would generate a new random order of the albums in the queue, but then play all the songs in an album in order.  The randomized song method would be equivalent to the current offering (with a new random order of course).

2. Show the queue in the order the songs will be played.  Currently the list is in the order added to the queue, and not the order the songs will be played it.  Others might prefer the current display.  Since I know Sonos doesn't want to make the interface complex, I would suggest a poll for which way the queue should be displayed.

Thanks for asking