Request for a hardware remote control with physical buttons to control Sonos Speakers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Exactly, but when my music is fairly loud or I'm watching a movie in surround sound, I would have to literally shout as loud as I can to control something. This is as stupid as it gets.
voice control is stupid. if your music or tv is playing loud, voice control will not work and will possibly malfunction.
a dedicated hardware remote would make sonos perfect, like it used to be.

Actually, Amazon's Echo accounts for music playing. As long as your voice is as loud or louder than the music, it will distinguish your voice over the background. Wouldn't be much use to manufacture a voice control speaker that plays music if this wasn't the case.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
voice control is stupid. if your music or tv is playing loud, voice control will not work and will possibly malfunction.
a dedicated hardware remote would make sonos perfect, like it used to be.
If you are tech-savvy you can try to work with a Raspberry Pi and a IR remote of your choice. Checkout my thread and my Github project at https://github.com/prebm/SonosRemote
For now it can control only one zone at the time, but multi-zone support is definitely a point on the ToDo-List.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the excellent feedback on Amazon Echo. Seems to work pretty well .... Now I have something to look forward to :-)
Good advice regarding keeping the screen always on while being charged with an Android device!
Option 4: Small 5 inch dedicated Android Tablet "Controller"
============================================================

. . .

Disadvantages
- If I want to skip a song, I still have to press a button and wait for the screen to wake up.. (I know its only half a second, but with a hardware remote control you do not have to wait at all)

. . .

Android has a hidden feature that allows you to keep the screen on while charging. I use it on both my semi-dedicated to Sonos tablets. Google "Developers menu" for how to activate.
Speaking as a user of the Amazon Echo, which is considered one of the best implementations, I will try to answer:

but would it really work with everyone's dialect?

Echo/Alexa is English only at the moment. As for dialect, the Boston accent is notoriously finicky, and Alexa recognizes my Dorchester born, South Shore raised "Pahk the cah in the Hahvahd yahd" just fine.

what if I am located 6-7meters away from the microphone, would it still understand the voice command from myself?

Alexa even works though floors. If she can hear you, she will answer.

Would I have to train the voice of every person who wants to use give commands? ( a guest or a participant of a workshop I am giving...?)

No. She will understand right out of the box. There is voice training available, but in my experience it is not necessary. People come in off the street and she understands just fine.

Would it work as reliable as if I had a remote control to push a button? I doubt it...

In my experience, she's about 95% accurate on key words and devices- "What's the weather?", "What's the score of the Red Sox game?", "Turn off bedside lamp." and not so good on general questions "Where is the Washington Monument", "Who was Rosa Parks", etc.

Also I actually don't like the idea of an internet enabled device "recording" or listening to everything I say all day long....

Nothing really to be done about that. Pretty soon cameras and mics will be ubiquitous. At least Amazon pledges to not listen in and only wants to sell you stuff. I personally would be more worried about government cameras and mics than those of the company who only wants to know when to send me more dish soap. YMMV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I keep an otherwise un-used ipod touch on top of kitchen and bedroom play1s. They fit perfectly on top and are always there waiting for me with usb double wall sockets for charging.
Iam hoping voice will overcome all ops problems.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for your replies

In my opinion voice control would be a great option, but would it really work with everyone's dialect? Also what if I am located 6-7meters away from the microphone, would it still understand the voice command from myself? Would I have to train the voice of every person who wants to use give commands? ( a guest or a participant of a workshop I am giving...?) Would it work as reliable as if I had a remote control to push a button? I doubt it... Also I actually don't like the idea of an internet enabled device "recording" or listening to everything I say all day long....

Did Sonos have a bad experience with their selling their remotes? I read quite some posts where people buy old CR100 and CR200 because they also wish to have a hardware device to control Sonos. Of course there will be a lot of people who don't need or don't want a remote control, so why not just offer it separately? I read in the Sonos blog posts that they really care about user experience, and I think there might really be quite a bunch of people who would appreciate a small remote. Also a small RF remote with no display would not be to expensive to produce I think. (for example similar to the Apple Remote)

The reviews I have read regarding Insteon were not really overwhelming, but perhaps I'll give it a try anyway to get first hand experience.... Has anybody tried Insteon who could tell how well it performed?
I sympathise with the OP to a large extent, I don't keep the phone tethered to myself all the time, and the problem starts with first finding the damn thing.

I have however placed all my units such that their on body buttons are easily accessible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well the OPs primary gripe seemed to be that they needed to wash their hands and fingers before activating Sonos - The implication is that if Sonos made a dedicated remote it wouldn't matter if it got filthy!
Didn't the old hardware remotes sell OK?

IMO OP does a good job of outlining 7 different remote options for Sonos- but in doing so this kind of proves the point that what OP is asking for isn't needed as so many remote options exist.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Insteon seems to be exactly what OP is looking for. It gets good reviews, anyone here using it?
Never going to happen, Sonos have been burned once with hardware remotes, I doubt they'll bother doing that again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Won't voice control render that unnecessary?