Podcasts not showing up on Android/Sonos controler

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I am using Pocketcast from two different Android devices without problems ... I have set my phone/tablet to store Podcasts in: /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts
For those who are using Podcast Addict I finally fixed this issue.
Please update to the new v3.9 (only available in beta for now but will be released in a couple of days), then go into Settings/Download and enable 'Share with other apps'.
New downloaded episodes should then be visible in the SONOS app.
Please let me know if you want to try the beta

hello,
I test it and it works. so for all the new downloaded podcast, Sonos sees it in the local folder of Podcast !
great news ! thank you
I am using Pocketcast from two different Android devices without problems ... I have set my phone/tablet to store Podcasts in: /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts

Which version of Android?
Which version of PocketCasts?
Which devices?
Do you have "Allow apps to see episodes" checked?
Have you setup a symlink in the Podcasts folder to expose the files in the root of /Podcasts?

On the Samsung Galaxy S6 (stock), Android 5.1.1, PocketCasts 5.2.2, with and without "Allow apps to see episodes" checked, viewing Podcasts on the Sonos app does not work.

To see the podcasts in the Sonos app, I must copy the podcasts to the root directory of /Podcasts, as specified by everyone else above. That said, I'd be very interested in finding out what, exactly, is different between your setup and all the other users here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
why cant you just offer google cast? it would make life easier for customers. i use pocket casts on android - SUPPORT THAT
This even looks like a bad joke. Cannot look into subfolders?! No podcast application will just leave files anywhere... Hard enough to let them use a specific root directory.

Do we need to create a samba share to our own local podcast directory? Maybe that will work.

This is so stupid. In times like this I know humankind is really lost. A couple more decades, it's all we got. Well be engulfed by crap like global warming, and it is all related to bad engineering just like this. I hate you.

I have the same problem with BeyondPod on my HTC One X+. Any help, Sonos-guys?
There is only one problem that support constantly avoids mentioning: Sonos Android CANNOT find files in sub folders . Easy enough bug to locate & fix instead of all this wasteful back & forth with unhappy customers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
This even looks like a bad joke. Cannot look into subfolders?

Hi there,

I am using Pocketcasts on 2 different Android devices, with only minor problems, but sub-folders isn't one of them ...

Just looking at my phone ...
I see in the storage/emulated/0/Podcasts folder

a Pocketcasts subfolder

In that folder I find further subfolders:

custom_episodes
downloadTmp
images
network_images
opml_import
podcast_thumbnails
podcasts
podcasts.html

in the podcasts folder there are all of the .mp3 files ... although with some very strange naming convention.
There are no more subfolders in here separating the different programs/artists/broadcasters etc
Userlevel 2
Hey I am trying to use Podcast Addict and I have done everything to set it up like sonos have writing and I can see the podcast in the sonos App but it dosen't want to play it.
It says it cannot find the server adress??
So not playing what do I do now? I love Sonos but the podcast thing you really laking so much it makes people angry.

Hope you can help me Soon?
My device is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha and I have changed the download folder and all this??
Piling on to this discussion, but with the caveat that I USED TO be able to play all my podcasts just fine, but now the updated episodes are not showing up in "on this device" even though i can see them just fine in podcast addict. All I can see are a set of previously stored podcasts, none of the new ones.

I assume it is either my android update or my sonos update but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it and none of the new episodes have been added to the storage folder, which seems even weirder to me.
I'm on Android 7, using latest versions of BeyondPod (paid version) and Sonos apps. To get Podcasts to show in the Sonos app:

Open BeyondPod
Go to Settings
Click on the three dots in the top right and select "Advanced Settings"
Scroll down to Playlist Settings, and check "Episodes Visible in Music Player"

Downloaded Podcasts should now be available in the Sonos app (you may need to restart apps or mobile to get it all to sync up for the first time).

More info, for those that are interested:
Sonos uses the built in Android music discovery method, and at some point in Androids history this has changed from being folder based to...something else, which is why Podcasts downloaded don't automatically show any more in Sonos. For some users this would be annoying, as their podcasts would be mixed in with their music albums, which is why most Podcast apps don't do this automatically.
Thanks Conradj. Unfortunately it does not apply Podcast Addict unfortunately. Best, B
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Podcast addict suddenly works!!! My Sony Experia Z5 went through a system upgrade a few days ago. I wonder if that is what has caused the improvement!

So I just went to my phone, sonos app, on this mobile device. And suddenly I am can see and play podcasts.