Answered

Play sonos s1 stream on s2 system

• 14 November 2022
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

I’m more than happy to learn!

Assuming two way communication is essential for sync (what does this acheive - presumably the master unit can’t slow down playback if the syncing unit can’t keep up) then could the S2 unit not simply mimic an S1 unit?

Not quite the way it works, but either way Sonos is not going to release a system where only a few devices can be a master, it is not going to happen.  Plus, grouping is dynamic, so any device needs to be able to take over as the master if the master device is taken out of the group. 

For instance, stream is playing on Roam.  You group in the S1 device, Roam is the master.  You then ungroup the Roam, streaming is now playing on the S1 device.  S1 device is now the master.  Now try to regroup the Roam.  Guess what?  You can’t.

Can you see where this would be a logistical nightmare?  And that is just one example, there could be dozens more.  The disclaimers Sonos would have to publish would be 6 pages long, and that is only if “simply mimicking the S1 unit” were possible, which it is not.

Badge

@t999,

One way to stream the same music to both S1 and S2 systems is to use Apple Airplay2 (I sometimes use Apple Music and Airplay from an iPad)  - but that requires a compatible speaker (a Sonos One for example) to be available in both systems and target them both with the same playing stream, but a note of caution, the streams can occasionally go out of sync, but it’s not a bad workaround - I use it myself occasionally.

Attachment shows one speaker selected from each system for playback.

This sounds like a pretty good workaround, thanks!

Badge

I’m more than happy to learn!

Assuming two way communication is essential for sync (what does this acheive - presumably the master unit can’t slow down playback if the syncing unit can’t keep up) then could the S2 unit not simply mimic an S1 unit?

Not quite the way it works, but either way Sonos is not going to release a system where only a few devices can be a master, it is not going to happen.  Plus, grouping is dynamic, so any device needs to be able to take over as the master if the master device is taken out of the group. 

For instance, stream is playing on Roam.  You group in the S1 device, Roam is the master.  You then ungroup the Roam, streaming is now playing on the S1 device.  S1 device is now the master.  Now try to regroup the Roam.  Guess what?  You can’t.

Can you see where this would be a logistical nightmare?  And that is just one example, there could be dozens more.  The disclaimers Sonos would have to publish would be 6 pages long, and that is only if “simply mimicking the S1 unit” were possible, which it is not.

Not really what I am suggesting. I would see it more as a sort of digital line out → line in.Pretty sure I’ve seen elsewhere on the forum that this works and if so would imply this is possible at least in theory.

Do you work for Sonos? If not can you point me in the direction of more technical info on the protocol?

I don’t think they publish much, probably due to other companies trying to steal their efforts, on protocols. They do, however, publish the API that all services inside the Sonos controller use at the Sonos partners page.

Badge

I don’t think they publish much, probably due to other companies trying to steal their efforts, on protocols. They do, however, publish the API that all services inside the Sonos controller use at the Sonos partners page.

Yeah that seems reasonable - the posters above seemed to be claiming in depth technical knowledge of how the system works so I was wondering if this was from having worked for Sonos or if there was info available online somewhere. 

No, it probably comes from over 10 to 15 years of providing support here in this forum, and a good understanding, through usage and experimentation of the way the system works. 

All who have replied in this thread have rather extensive user knowledge, and have been shown to be extremely helpful in these forums. 

Many of them are, to my knowledge, engineers of some type, who have a good working knowledge of the way that the LAN works. 

Badge

Ken_Griffiths’ comment was certainly very helpful.

“ I’m afraid you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Sonos actually works”

“This is absolute gibberish.  Nonsense. Meaningless“

maybe not so much so! Perhaps the posters were having a bad day.😅