Password to avoid guests changing music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

186 replies

You could put guest and Flatmate players into a different Household so they can't control your units. I believe different households can share music sources in most cases.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
You could put guest and Flatmate players into a different Household so they can't control your units. I believe different households can share music sources in most cases.

How do you do that? Is it possible on the same network?
This is the Feature Request with Most Comments.
Just to set this in context: 182 posts from only 48 unique users in 5+ years.
182 posts in 5+ years.
One could say it's a long awaited feature

A selective edit, misquoting my response.

It doesn't matter how long it's been awaited if only 48 users (in this thread, at least a couple of whom are forum 'helpers') are interested.

By the way, the solution to this problem has been pretty simple for quite some time: don't give access to your network to people you don't trust. Most modern routers offer a 'guest' network facility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, there's no official news on this topic I can add today, but I'll make sure the team knows people are still asking. As ratty suggests, the best thing to do is to add a guest wireless network with restricted access to your home and not to give out the main wifi credentials to people you don't trust with the keys to your music, or your data, or any other personal details you might have on the home network.

Guest networks are very common these days and most all major routers are capable of broadcasting one.
Userlevel 1
Hi buzz
Thank you for welcoming me :)
I do believe i already adressed your solution in my original post. I am aware that this would solve the problem, but it could also call for a new router!

No, not necessarily, it depends entirely on the router and many of them offer this option.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Change your WiFi password and only supply the new credentials to people you trust.

Job done.
Well...for example, i trust my daughter. But as soon as her guests get a hold of her phone, tablet or computer, then what?

Smartphone / Tablet - it's 4 simple numbers to protect your device. Computer - use a password.
Badge
Hi buzz
Thank you for welcoming me :)
I do believe i already adressed your solution in my original post. I am aware that this would solve the problem, but it could also call for a new router!
So with respect, i am still suggesting that this feature is implemented in the controller/app software. It would also come in handy when kids (and their guests) have Sonos devices in their rooms, but parents wouldn't want them to mess around with other devices. (as your own kids naturally is logged on to the local WiFi network, and not a guest network, anyone visiting could mess around with the other devices in the Sonos network.
A master password, and device passwords (all voluntarily) would be nice IMHO 🆒

I think it's a good idea. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement either.

Another option would be to password-protect the music library itself. It could work like windows file sharing -you could specify who has access to which music library/folders. This would also allow for a basic parental-controls option. I believe you can probably due this currently through windows explorer, but it would be nice if Sonos added a more user friendly way to accomplish it within their controller app (perhaps desktop version only).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Well...for example, i trust my daughter. But as soon as her guests get a hold of her phone, tablet or computer, then what? You can't hide it every time you have guests, nor bring it all to the bathroom when you have to go ;)

It's not exactly a life and death problem, is it?

I think your daughter will learn very quickly if you ban her device from the WiFi for a while after any problematic incident.
Userlevel 1
Another option would be to password-protect the music library itself. It could work like windows file sharing -you could specify who has access to which music library/folders. This would also allow for a basic of parental controls option.
That wouldn't work, Sonos is a single user connecting to the music share regardless of how many controllers are in use. It also wouldn't stop someone from switching to internet radio or an online service for example.