Password protection

• 10 November 2014
  • 39 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Yet another password? Please don't do this Sonos!
I agree that having the equivalent of multiple households on the same network could be useful in some cases, but this would be with detrimental to simplicity and simplicity is the beauty of Sonos.
It's just music!
If this feature is ever implemented I'd add two additional PLAY:5 devices right away.

Or you could buy the units and reprimand your kids to respect YOUR toys. 😃
Userlevel 1
The way I'd like to see this work would be for each Sonos device to have an optional PIN/password. The first time a new controller connects to a device with a PIN enabled, the user is prompted for that PIN. The PIN is remembered by the controller so won't need entering again. The default should be PIN/passwords disabled so that those who don't have a need for this feature are unaffected.

In my case, I'd love to give each of my kids their own Sonos device (and they'd love me to give them one too!) but they are at a age where they spend half their time looking for new ways to tease each other. With the current Sonos app, if they each had their own devices, they'd likely spend more time interfering with their sibling's Sonos than spending time using their own Sonos! :D

If this feature is ever implemented I'd add two additional PLAY:5 devices right away.

-David
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRL View Post
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!

In an interview, that was precisely the reason given by the Sonos CEO for not implementing password protection.

Wow - I must get my job application in, clearly I have CEO potential! 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wouldn't want to have the controllers password protected - can't see any use in that.

However, simply hiding some of the zones on some of the controllers could be useful, for example in order to restrict controllers that have a fixed place in the house to the zones they actually reside in (example: guest room). Would make their UI less cluttered and avoid accidentally controlling other zones.
In an interview, that was precisely the reason given by the Sonos CEO for not implementing password protection.

One time user log-in should solve the problem of typing passwords again and again??
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!

I guess, User Profiles with ability to restrict zones would be great idea.
I suppose this might be useful for some people, but it would be pointless for me.

No one ever accesses my wifi or network apart from me.

Exactly. Take control of your guests.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I suppose this might be useful for some people, but it would be pointless for me.

No one ever accesses my wifi or network apart from me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I am not that surprised, I would not want to have to key in a password each time I wanted to change zone/room groupings!Same here - but I can see a case for needing a password to allow a new Sonos controller to 'join' the system ( a simple popup to input 4 numbers?) - but I would appreciate a password to allow system firmware to be updated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I am surprised by the poll results.
People please vote...