Password Protect Sonos?

• 9 January 2017
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Sonos very rarely comment that they "will" or "won't" do anything. Their product plans are confidential.

I don't see why the landlord would care whether you attached a travel router. To the main router it would behave like any other device. Sure, it could be detected as a router if he wanted, but why bother.
Agreed. I suspect the "no other router" rule is trying to prevent you changing the router. As @ratty says, the travel router just connects to the existing network in the same way as a laptop, phone or Sonos speaker would.
Sonos very rarely comment that they "will" or "won't" do anything. Their product plans are confidential.

I don't see why the landlord would care whether you attached a travel router. To the main router it would behave like any other device. Sure, it could be detected as a router if he wanted, but why bother.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This has been requested going back a10 years (not just 3 years!) The take away IMO is that they dont want to offer the option.

I don't understand why there isn't an official statement from them if has been requested by customers for such a long time. Especially when they say in their support email: "we always look to improve the system and pass on suggestions to the product development team".
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have four zones/six SONOS speakers in my house. I went on vacation to a big house with integrated multi-room av, including some SONOS. I took my laptop which had the SONOS controller installed. While at this vacation home, I was able to control parts of the house SONOS installation from my laptop. I can't decide if that was kind of cool, or kind of messed up. I did have the vacation home WIFI password so I guess that was the "gate."
The landlord doesn't allow any additional router. But that is not the point, I really don't get why sonos is not able to offer an option here within the system.

This has been requested going back a10 years (not just 3 years!) The take away IMO is that they dont want to offer the option.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The landlord doesn't allow any additional router. But that is not the point, I really don't get why sonos is not able to offer an option here within the system.
If your housemates cannot be trusted to behave decently the problem is perhaps not with the Sonos. But there is always the travel router
if you can trust your housemates to respect your property then you have no problem. If you can't then your problem is with your housemates not your Sonos.
But you could always get a travel router....
Userlevel 1
Badge
I live in a shared house with one joint wifi.
Sonos is a networked HOME multiroom audio system. You put anything on a shared network and you take a security risk. Your responsibility.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Considering the amount of money you have just spent on this you would have thought they had come up with a built in function that would stop other people from changing your music. Especially since this topic has been brought up by numerous customers for over three years now in various sonos communities. TBH I am expecting a better solution from a "tech" company!
Not directly in Sonos but get a travel router to get your own secure network. I have just suggested same thing for different reasons on a couple of threads so please take a look and come back if questions.