New App Upgrade - HORRID

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

108 replies

Don't fret John B, it's not like he is trying to stop you from posting by implying some sort of insult or offense is inherent in your personal opinion that it is easy to change rooms. Nah! He's just "helping" out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
When in rooms, please explain why I cant go direct to search? I have to now close the room when enlarged and go to a teenie tiny search button and then search. I also can't just search unless I know my room is selected. I have 5 areas for sonos and if I want to hear a different song in a new zone I've got to navigate this silly app. PLEASE KEEP THIS SIMPLE! IT'S MENU AFTER MENU AFTER SUB MENU AFTER MENU! I can even click on a room and add an alarm or adjust the EQ.

How about allowing a search button in the cue menu? That way I can select a room, select the cue for that room and search. We make up playlists as we go and dig deep into the 3 streaming services we subscribe to.

PLEASE make all roads lead to the same spot, and revisit the UI. It's way to engineered but without user logic. I know why it seems to work from your perspective, but it sucks when trying to be a fun host and DJ an event. it's so clumsy.

So to recap . . .
Let me select the select a new song WITHIN the room queue tab
Chill on all the menus and drop menus. Large networks are super hard to control with this over menu-ing.

Can I get an AMEN from my fellow SONOS owners? I've got lots of money in this thing and Spotify has a better interface! Also, give us a black background toggle, my phone is blinding when it's dark and I want to hear a new song. Not very romantic to light the room with phone light.

Ideally, this should be customizable interface. We all have different workflow ideas and setups. Much like we can add and subtract quick buttons on our web browser or phone home screens. I'd love a quick room group button, individual room buttons with the ability to search in that pop up, an alarm button shortcut etc. My dinky phone has 24 icons on a single screen. That is more than enough space to make a very customizable setup. That would allow for a mute all button and a black background toggle.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! Oh, and Alexa kinda scares me. Will you ever have your own voice service that doesn't listen to anything but music requests? With a cool request like 'SONOS get this party started'?

Sorry for rambling. Gonna to listen to an entire album so I don't have to touch my playlist for an hour.

-Eric
Userlevel 2
Badge
I totally agree. The new interface is terrible. Like a step backwards. The android widgets don't work properly now. The navigation to a location is way to cumbersome. Please revert back to prior sotfware
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
You have upgraded to the latest version 8.3? This was released yesterday and is a significant change, and we are told more changes are coming too. It's still not perfect but it is a lot better and easier to navigate, IMHO of course.
Having that tab visible on a now black now playing screen isn't exactly a world chocking improvement. Especially with that screen now looking like a cluttered mess as a result, which is yet another step backwards.

Maybe it does help some that this bar is always visible, but compared to the old design the new one is still everything but great.
At least you can access your music. It won't connect to my external music drive. I've uninstalled and started again, the firewall is fine, in fact nothing has changed with my set up apart from this new update. Quite why it's changed is beyond me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Ok I get that people prefer the previous app. To an extent I do too. But don’t give me this whole it takes me so long to figure this and that out. It remains very clear how to do anything you need to do. Very clear. It’s different but still pretty straightforward.

I disagree. The reaction to the app amongst users is testament to to that. It would be nice if they would acknowledge the issues people have and reassure them that they care. A little empathy goes a long way to customer satisfaction and building an app they will like in the first place.

Ok the things that I understand.
1. The “My Sonos” tab is not well laid out and wastes space with the large icons requiring scrolling. I have to admit I probably hardly venture into that space because of it.
2. There is great hate for the white background. This is an aesthetic thing largely. Not sure what drives it. But I have observed that a few music Apps use it - most notably Apple.
3. The bottom navigating menu should be visible on all screens including “Now Playing”. I think this a reasonable suggestion. Again this in’s currently treated in the exact same way as it is for the Apple Music App and Deezer. As I have mentioned in another thread. Sonos has moved in the direction of make its app look and feel like some of the popular streaming services.

The above aside I quickly worked out that a session should begin with picking your room from the rooms tab and then picking what to listen to by interacting with the other tabs on the bottom menu. All tabs are pretty well understood in a short time. What I am saying I understand that in the previous setup things may have seemed a bit more at arms length than this compartmentalized view. I am not meaning to not show empathy at all but I do not get the Armageddon reaction with threats to move to another product etc.

A number of the concerns are fixable even if Sonos doesn’t have the greatest record of responding to these concerns at this stage of release. People also need to be more specific in saying and describing what they find more difficult to do and how so. As I said I cannot in good conscience say that I find anything unclear even if I force myself.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Agreed, terrible! Changing rooms in now a real pain. Roll back please.

It would be helpful for you to elaborate a bit more on how changing rooms has become difficult for you.