Question

new app

Userlevel 3

I just installed the new app and at first sight it‘s totally crap :(

First thing I want/need to do is set a new alarm clock for tomorrow morning… hard to find the function at all. Easy access is something different… setting new times is not possible - function will be available with future updates… honestly????

please tell me this is not what you really release! Give me back the old app! Now!!!

42 replies

About Sonosnet. Yeah, found it. So we have to check if it says “SSID not available” which would mean that it is using Sonosnet? And not being able to change the channel is just...Bad.

Sonos did mention some things will come later - I understand the speakers select the optimal SonosNet channel automatically nowadays, but I agree I prefer to manually change such settings too. We’ll have to wait and see what the eventual outcome will be. I’ve found that using WiFi these days is so much faster and more reliable, so I’ve set SonosNet aside, but that’s entirely a matter for yourself.

Userlevel 1
Badge

About Sonosnet. Yeah, found it. So we have to check if it says “SSID not available” which would mean that it is using Sonosnet? And not being able to change the channel is just...Bad.

Sonos did mention some things will come later - I understand the speakers select the optimal SonosNet channel automatically nowadays, but I agree I prefer to manually change such settings too. We’ll have to wait and see what the eventual outcome will be. I’ve found that using WiFi these days is so much faster and more reliable, so I’ve set SonosNet aside, but that’s entirely a matter for yourself.

Hi! Ok, but the point with Sonosnet earlier was that it was a lot faster and reliable then having the products use 2.4ghz wifi. Has this changed somehow? I understand that more recent products can use wifi 6 but not my system with ones and an amp, right?

Hi! Ok, but the point with Sonosnet earlier was that it was a lot faster and reliable then having the products use 2.4ghz wifi. Has this changed somehow? I understand that more recent products can use wifi 6 but not my system with ones and an amp, right?

Yes things have changed a great deal, many S2 products now use their faster 5Ghz adapters, rather than the 2.4Ghz band. As an example, if I download over a SonosNet 2.4Ghz connection (and bear in mind the Ethernet adapters on Sonos products are 10/100 only ports), I can only get wireless speeds in the region of 15MB/s - that’s on a good day, even when linked to a gigabit LAN with internet download speed of 1000+ MB/s.

If I switch the link from SonosNet to 802.11AC WiFi-5 then I can get 350+ MB/s in remote places around my Home and over 550+MB/s in most main rooms. See attached.

So in my case I opt to use a faster WiFi mesh system these days for my Home Sonos setup - I’ve not had any issues with the setup since I switched well over a year ago.

Here’s a little more information about Sonos devices networking capabilities…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

I just installed the new app and at first sight it‘s totally crap :(

First thing I want/need to do is set a new alarm clock for tomorrow morning… hard to find the function at all. Easy access is something different… setting new times is not possible - function will be available with future updates… honestly????

please tell me this is not what you really release! Give me back the old app! Now!!!

no alarm, and no timer in 80.00.04

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

My first impressions off the App are positive. Yes, there are capabilities I’d like to see added , but the overall usabilty is an improvement. 

I hope we’ll see

1.  Return of ‘play next’, so I can queue up tracks
  2. I like ‘Your Services’, but would like to be able to chose the sequence. I can set the first, but the others are alphabetical
  3. I do tend to refer to ‘Sonos System Info’ frequently ,to ensure I have Atmos, or other surround playing. It’s more hidden now, that it used to be

But overall, it's an improvement

Please give me back the bottom five buttons.  With the new app 80.00.40, I have hit “back/return” so many times befor I can acces to other parts of the app (Home, Play services, System, Search, System).  It was much fast to navigate in the old version.   The new app response time is sooooooooooo slow.  No wake up alarm, no sleep timer - are you kidding to take away these “Basic” functions.  If you apps are not ready, do not launch it please.☹️

After updating the app to 80.00.04, speakers stayed on 16.1.1 build. Is it normal? No build device’s available ? Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m not sure how this new app passed testing. It’s buggy and not user friendly. Like most people on this thread, I knew I shouldn’t have updated right away. I should have held out as long as possible.

On a related note, Spotify will only display 50 playlists in the new app so I can’t even see all my playlists. Terrible. 

I agree, I was excited about the app update but it was really not for me. 

I get it’s something I could get used to but I feel in the previous version I had more space to navigate around the interface. And i switched between things very easily than this new update. I do like the bubbly design but the navigation is tight and more long-winded.

And the update that negatively set me off was the queue. I used to love to be able to edit my music queue however I wanted. Moving tracks by dragging them across the queue wherever I wanted them but I now cannot edit it at all. No button or any sign of editing it. Or even maybe I can’t edit it at all. 

And I wish the numbered volume stayed as well as I’d like to see how loud my music is. I was more aware of how loud my room was without disturbing my roommates via the numbers. Because I knew how loud the speaker would be from the numbers but it’s now missing. 

I use sonos mainly in the bedroom and I really appreciate the system, but it became useless without the  timer button. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m not sure how this new app passed testing. It’s buggy and not user friendly. Like most people on this thread, I knew I shouldn’t have updated right away. I should have held out as long as possible.

On a related note, Spotify will only display 50 playlists in the new app so I can’t even see all my playlists. Terrible. 

What is this ‘testing’ of which you speak?
[sarcasm]

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Joe Dax,

I’m able to add/edit/delete an alarm in the new Sonos App… see screenshot attached.

Goto ‘Settings/Manage/Alarms’ to access the feature.

I've been everywhere To edit my alarms but I cannot find them... I did follow your directions. I've been reading another post as well that for many people it's the same thing. The alarm setting has disappeared with a new app.

@Yogitim,

Yes, I (and some others) had alarms show in the new App initially, but it got removed with the 80.0.04 update, so I’m now without it too. I guess it got pulled for some further work to be done on that feature.

Here’s hoping it will return soon.🤞

It was in "Settings/Manage’ just below the ‘About Your System’ entry in the list. The workaround for some has been to use the Sonos Desktop Controller on a PC or Mac.. see below:

Fixing Sonos Alarms

Maybe this will perhaps help some users that are having an issue with an existing alarm. It requires either a PC, or Mac, with the Desktop controller installed (available HERE)

See below:

Sonos app for macOS or Windows

1. Click Alarms from the bottom of the Select a Music Source pane on the right side of the Sonos app.
  2. To edit an existing alarm, click the name of the alarm, then click Edit.
  3. Set your Time, Room, Music, Frequency and Volume settings.
  4. Click OK to save the alarm
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you. But I only use my phone. I guess I will have to wait for the next update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So now they have updated the app and the alarms are back on but now every time I open the app it crashes so I have to log out and log back in before I can see my system.

So now they have updated the app and the alarms are back on but now every time I open the app it crashes so I have to log out and log back in before I can see my system.

Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the App, perhaps that will resolve the crashing issue. If no joy with the reinstall then go onto submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you